or Connect

Posts by Inkling

I have trouble imagine Microsoft selling those used iPhones on the market. That'd simply add to Apple's marketshare. Now might be a good time to start checking the dumpsters behind Microsoft's stores.
The bad news about the new iTunes is that it will no longer manage podcast listening and instead sends us to Apple's podcast app, which I dislike. I've got Downcast, so I'll need to see if it has fixed the few remaining gotchas that kept me from adopting it, specifically: 1. Roll your own podcast list easily on a Mac. For reasons that defy explanation, some podcast players assume want to listen to all of the podcast from source A before turning to source B etc. There's...
Samsung's smartphones aren't junk either, but they're selling for $100 to $200 less and often have features that iPhones lack, such as larger screens.   Apple's making the same mistake it made in the nineties. It's assuming that its products are different enough to command a premium price. But as technologies mature, it gets harder and harder to create products that are better enough to justify those higher prices.   Apple's already began to hit that point in the...
The 5c is definitely well-built. I like plastic cases, particularly in contrast to breakable glass, although not those dreadful "Hello Kitty" pastel covers. But it's dreadfully overpriced, so overpriced the much greater feature set of the 5s make it a much better deal. For every dollar extra the 5s costs, buyers are likely to get two dollars back at resale--and have a lot more eager buyers. I'm more bothered that both come with iOS 7 and you can see what's wrong with that...
Any news about a markup app for InDesign? It'd be great to view an ID document on an iPad, mark it up, and have that markup appear, perhaps as a layer, in that InDesign document. It'd be even better if multiple reviewers, some far away, could do that mark up.
Apple's upper-management are smart people. They know this initial release is over-priced and there are hints they've made it cheaper to make than the iPhone 5. They could cut those prices quite a bit and still stay profitable. Keep in mind a common 'market image' technique that Apple used with the iPod and iPhone. Overprice at first to create status and then discount after six months or so to increase sales. Making the unlocked version $400 would make life difficult for...
There's no reason to downgrade Apple's stock. This colorful little thingie is just an iPhone 5 in plastic. didn't cost Apple that much to design. It's also priced high enough, those who decide not to get it will probably buy the 5s instead. Those who can't afford the 5s aren't likely to be looking seriously at the 5c. On a contract, the difference is about a dime to a quarter a day over those two years. I know that, were I in the market for a spanking new iPhone--my 3GS...
Yes, and every 100th customer will receive a free unicorn. This attention-getting is the closest we'll ever see to a free Amazon smartphone. Amazon doesn't give away free Kindle epaper readers, even though they're inexpensive and only consume what Amazon sells. They're certainly not going to give away a smartphone that costs much more and that'll only incidentally generate other business for Amazon.
It's a marvelous move by Adobe. As a one-Mac publisher, I'd love to see them extend it into my field. Charge perhaps $19.95 for the apps needed to create documents and books. InDesign and Photoshop would be on my must-have list. Add Muse and Illustrator, and $29.95 might be justifiable. Adobe needs to keep in mind a problem employees face when they try to convince their boss that they must sign up for CC. The boss is likely to see that long list of apps and say, "Why are...
"Apple says DOJ's e-book settlement brief is improper, would give Amazon competitive advantage" Hasn't that been its purpose from Day One? Isn't that Chicago politics in a nutshell--using governmental power to help a politically favored business by crushing its competitors? Eric Holder, head of the DOJ is from Chicago. Obama was active in the city's politics for 20 years without making the slightest squeak about the city's corruption. Having Al Gore on Apple's board...