or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Fortunately, I had auto downloads (Preference-Store) turned off. It's bad enough that some of what I pay Apple is going aggressively tax-evading Bono-U2. It'd be worse if their music were cluttering my hard drive. Note too this Guardian article in which Bono says, in essence, that the sales of their latest album were down because the public is stupid, or as Bono put it: "And I suppose we've made a work that is a bit challenging for people who have grown up on a diet of...
This demonstrates something that matters. Apple and Adobe share something in common. They often work hard to put the proper fit and finish on their products. Both, however, use the open source Hunspell in their products and it has a woeful lack of finesse. In OS X apps that use Hunspell, I'm routinely left amazed by its utter inability to make spelling suggestions. About a third the time it hasn't a clue? Even a single missing letter or transposed pair of letters leaves...
Make all the tunes in iTunes free? Now why didn't I think of that!   Sigh, it wouldn't work. Apple owns those iCloud servers and can charge or not charge as it so chooses. All those musicians won't be happy not getting their 70% royalties. Neither would I about my books in the iBookstore. I'd end up living in a dumpster. Not good. Dumpsters smell. I would smell. I'd have no friends. My life would be miserable.   But Apple makes enough money selling gadgets to cover the...
Is it really worth the bother of collecting $0.99. Apple should offer that to anyone who's bought an Apple product recently and be done with the penny pinching.
Nothing that interests me worth $349. I would love a simple $19.99 device that only sensed motion (while sleeping or jogging) and vibrated to alarm either to wake up or to signal a phone call. The last would be great in places where a ring creates problems.
Don't targeted attacks require numerous repeated tries, with everyone and everything in their life being tried as a password? Apple should have at least caught and flagged those repeated attempts.
This isn't just for app developers. Those who're publishing through the iBookstore will find these changes apply to their iTunes Connect account too. One bit of good news. Apple has finally clarified on their resources page when users should download iTunes Connect (for OS X 10.6 and later) or 3.1 (apparently only 10.9 and later). Version 3.0 was so dreadful, even under 10.9, it would crash on my Mac mini after just entering two fields of data. I do have one gripe. I...
Sounds like there might be more going public than yet-another iPhone and an iWatch. If I were to guess, that structure is for a host of vendors who have new hardware or software for the health and sport features Apple will be pushing. They'd want ample 'hands on' space, so Apple is providing it for them. If so, Apple will probably leak or go public with that in advance to attract a wider-than-usual audience. Mac media might want to be ready with fitness and medical...
Apple's designers seem to be confusing laptops with bread knives. I could care less about a thinner MacBook Air. In a case, it'll be protected by the same necessarily thick layers of foam as my current MacBook, and thus just as bulky. On a desk, a small difference in thickness matters not. I'm not writing while locked like Houdini in a suitcase barely larger than I am. The universe is huge. I have lots of room. I remember well how this absurd obsession with thinness...
I'm just the person Apple should be reaching. I've got older models of virtually every member in Apple's family of products. Only one, my Mac mini, is a current model. My MacBook is seven years old and two versions of OS X back. Why don't I upgrade? Better to ask, "Why I should upgrade?" Much of what Apple sells isn't that different from what it was selling two years ago, with the MacBook Air being a prime example. That leaves me with the feeling that, if I buy now, in a...