or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Is is just me, or is there something perverse about a Carl Icahn who is so greedy and self-obsessed that he thinks Apple's policies should be driven by what does or doesn't make him money? Does Apple Insider publish each every open letter by every Apple stock holder? Then why bother to publish his letter. Why give the guy a platform? Broaden your scope a bit. Make fun of his greed and show how pitiful he is. Portray him like Charles Dickens did Scrooge in "A Christmas...
Quote: "I wonder how many years it will take to negotiate this with each publisher under the draconian guidelines Apple has to operate under due to the DoJ's witch hunt and kangaroo court." Hill60 is right. The rules are ridiculous. Claiming that each contract with the major publishers must be negotiated serially (one after the other) to prevent something sneaky from happening must rank among the most absurd punishments ever issued by a federal court. There's a lot of...
Apple was right to take a pass on that SuperBowl ad. The NFL already rips the public off by threatening to leave a city if it doesn't buy them a fancy stadium. Ripping us off for overpriced ads is adding insult to injury.
Apple should hire me as a consultant or at least for a focus group. I warned from the start that the 5c would bomb with everyone except perhaps young teen girls of the Hello Kitty sort. It simply wasn't that appealing. I doubt its failure had much to do with TouchID. Most people I know leave their phone unlocked. For those for whom appearance matters, the 5c was ho-hum, no different from dozens of other smartphones. For those who want power and features, the 5s was twice...
Solar-powered laptops are caught in an inevitable Catch-22. Bright enough sun to drive the solar cells mean an impossible to read screen and vice-versa. What'd make more sense would be a MacBook Air-sized solar array, one that would perhaps open out to double its area, coupled with a built-in battery. Users could place the array in the sun and work, like all sensible people, in the shade. Or they could charge that array's battery in the sun and later connect it to their...
Those who'd like to see how lawyers regard Judge Denise Cole should turn to a rating site: http://www.therobingroom.com/RatingListing.aspx?ID=1403 Her ratings from 2008 and earlier seem fairly good on a 10-point scale where 1 is "awful." There there's a spat of back scores in 2009, followed by a return to normal in 2010. Now pay particularly attention to her ratings from 2011 to the present. Discarding a bizarre 10 outlier (perhaps by friend Bromwich), her scores are...
If Apple wants to sell more than a few iPhones in most of the world's countries, they've have to come down on the price. Otherwise, there's simply no way such people can afford one.
Munster's reasoning is flawed. Yes, the rating numbers within each are similar, but those numbers are relative. Android users are comparing particular Android apps to other Android apps and Apple users are comparing particular Apple apps with other Apple apps. That says nothing about relative quality of apps on the two platforms. --Michael W. Perry, author of Untangling Tolkien
First Obama and now this guy. Will the future be filled with empty-headed celebrities who can't talk without a teleprompter?
One of the best uses for this will be for companies to offer their employees, customers, and clients free data and business-to-business access. If you're an electrician, you can locate what you need with a smartphone app, order it, and have it ready and waiting for you at will-call when you drop by. Paying the cost of that access means happy customers and more business.