or Connect

Posts by Inkling

In my work%u2014writing, editing and laying out books with InDesign%u2014I don't need these tools, but I am impressed that price is reasonable. When I first heard about them, I thought $200 would be a good price. They're selling for $175. In a world where Apple charges almost $70 for their not very useful Magic Mouse, that's a good price. Keep in mind that these are 1.0 products, while Wacom has been creating these tools since the early 1980s. Adobe does believe in...
I was going to express a wish for "cheap rip-offs" of this marvelous idea. But with prices starting at $50, it's already reasonably price given its value. Bravo for that!
Lawsuits and courts aren't going to fix this problem. Legislation is needed. We have laws requiring coffee breaks and meals. That's an analogy to these checks that, because it isn't matched in law, is pushing courts to act as they do. Absent laws to the contrary, this security check time becomes like the time employees spend walking to their car in the parking lot or commuting to work. They're not paid for that either. We need coffee-break laws limiting the time...
Alas, no one has a podcast app that does what I'm looking for. All it needs to do its: 1. Download from iTunes and play the podcasts in an iTunes playlist. Klutzing with downloads and arranging their play order on my iPhone is too clumsy. I prefer to manage them in iTunes on my Mac, playing them in the order I choose, not based on some complex set of rules. 2. Play at 1.25x. I don't know what idiot at Apple years ago thought 1.5x and 2.0x playback speed made sense, but...
Where Duet should shine is as a lightweight second screen for those traveling with laptops, particularly small-screen MacBook Airs. The downside is the demand it places on the CPU. The CPU stats on my Mac mini rarely rise above 5% even with two large displays attached. However, when I was using it and Duet with a Retina iPad 3, it was consistently running about 13%. On a desktop, that doesn't matter. On a laptop running on batteries, it's likely to mean a much shorter...
Good move. I like the 4-inch screen on my iPhone 5. It's just about perfect. But Apple needs models that vary in more than screen size. They need a rugged sports model along with a thicker, long-life model for business people on the go. Both matter more than screen size.
Personally, I'm surprised that Apple is taking an purchases in Rubles. Were I selling in Russia today, payment would be in dollars, Euros, or perhaps Swiss francs. In short, I'd insist on getting paid in real money.
Quote: "... along with a new chassis that's expected to be thinner and lighter than ever." I remember when this obsession among designers started. It was the 2004 Motorola Razr, of which Wikipedia says: Because of its striking appearance and thin profile, it was initially marketed as an exclusive fashion phone, but within a year, its price was lowered and it was wildly successful, selling over 50 million units by July 2006. Over the Razr's four-year run, the V3 model...
The testimony isn't that significant. Large companies including Apple have 'just in case' projects. I worked on one for Boeing. They're intended for certain scenarios. If those situations don't develop, they don't see the light of day. There was a DRM battle going on at this time. Apple may have intended this software to retaliate against some other music vendors use of DRM.
To some extent the other smartphone makers are reaping what they've sown. Their products often have limited useful life with few, if any, OS upgrades. iPhones tend to have a useful life. I just bought a used iPhone, which is two versions back, and yet I expect to get at least two years of useful life out of it. United was simply investing for the long term. The tools to develop iOS apps, the possibility of have corporate-only versions of their software, and the fact that,...