or Connect

Posts by Inkling

I hope these problems aren't in part because Apple, with its huge market share, was squeezing Sharp for below-cost prices. In the 1990s, I had a friend who hated what Boeing was doing to her parts-procurment job. She was having to call suppliers who sold to almost no one but Boeing and tell them that what Boeing would be paying them for parts was being radically cut. My own suspicions is that that penny pinching is one reason why Boeing had so many problems with the 787....
It's a fascinating device, particularly for outdoor sports. But alas, its focus on one wearer confirms my suspicion that our era will become known as the Selfie Generation.
Fines like these have been going on for years and obviously aren't effective. Prison time for some cell-company top executives would send a more powerful message.
Thinner would also mean lighter and, given the size of this one, it could easily end up a bit too heavy to hold in one hand for an extended time much like my iPad 3. Every gram Apple can save would be a plus. I just hope they don't go nutty over thin like they do with other products. Most users are likely to put it in a case that'd negate that thinness anyway.
Apple going into cars doesn't fit the company's pattern of success. It got away with selling computers priced far higher than DOS ones because a GUI was better. It is doing well against Windows now because OS X is better designed and Apple hardware is more reliable. The iPod filled a need for a useful music player and the iPhone filled a huge gap. When it came out, most cell phones were ill-designed junk. I know. I owned several. Success with the iPhone could be parlayed...
Invisible could be infrared or ultraviolet. Did the patent application say which or is Apple leaving that detail open?
Ah, my patience waiting for a new Apple TV is apparently about to be rewarded. I hope the price remains a reasonable $99 though.
Good. Apple has been avoiding these taxes using a sophisticated and perhaps dubious tax loophole that an ordinary Irish pub can't use. Let's hope that the EU forces Apple to play by the same rules as that little pub. Those claiming this is "ex post facto law" are forgetting that Apple's agreement was with Ireland. This tax decision is coming from the EU itself and most of the money involved came from European sales not Irish ones.
The iBookstore reviewers are right, this app is so useful, it shouldn't be confined to a few states. And if I read the description right, it needs a few tweaks. 1. Make one app that covers all the states and can be of value overseas. 2. Move all that added 'your rights' information to a different app. Make this one just for recording. All that other stuff can confuse users in a tense situation. 3. Make it stealthy, meaning it doesn't look like it is recording. It should...
Apple should spend some of that money improving the text-related features of OS X. Those features virtually untouched since 10.2. For many of us, that wastes hours of our time each week. Needs included: 1. Support of epub as solid as that for pdf. 'New World' mobile devices display pdfs poorly. They need epub as badly as desktops needed pdf in the 'Old World' of the 1990s. Apple got that previous shift right. Why is it dragging its feet with epub? 2. Meaning or...