or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Apple should regard this move by China's repressive government with pride. This remark: "The change is thought to be motivated by concerns over Western cybersurveillance operations." isn't the whole story. China wants Apple and others to insert backdoors into its devices to make it easy for China to monitor its citizens. Seeing the worldwide backlash over the NSA revelations, U.S. high-tech firms are resisting such moves. Were I Apple, I'd begin a quiet and gradual but...
This doesn't mean much. Look around and you'll see that the numbers are about cheap tablets that are poorly made and will have a short useful life. If your budget is tight and your needs limited and unchanging, they might do. Otherwise, they're money wasted.
What happened. My comments simply disappeared. I did not save them. Where did they go? What does "undefined" mean?
undefined
Tim Cook can get his watch replaced for free. I can't, so I'm not going to wear that watch or any expensive and showy watch in the shower. That said, I did wear watches that were dive-rated when I did sailing and I would wear one of Casio's G-Shock watches swimming%u2014but if-and-only-if there was a reason to do so. Not all of us have the luxury of an Apple executive's income. Still, this is a good sign. It may hint that Apple is thinking about create a sport model of...
I can think of something else Apple should buy%u2014the rights to include in the next version of iOS the marvelous audio-enhancing code in Marco Arment's podcast app, Overcast. I downloaded the app last week and immediately discovered just how much more enjoyable it makes podcast listening. I can set just the right speed. (No dreadful choice between 1x and 1.5x.) Distracting pauses disappear. Varying sound levels are smoothed out. It'd be great for just that. But it also...
Apple would do all of us a world of more good if it spent some money to upgrade OS X's dreadful spell checker. Its vocabulary is that of a college sophomore (For example, it doesn't know about exceptionalism, which has been a hotly debated political topic for at least a decade.) Its anemic correction suggestions are so poor they would would shame a spell checker from the 1980s. The spell checker ought to be smart enough to know whether a particular hyphenation is standard...
Assuming that the money Apple is hoarding overseas from the IRS is in dollars and with the dollar up in comparison to the Euro, this is excellent timing. By the way, if you've long planned to 'do Europe,' now is an excellent time. Fuel costs are down, making travel cheaper. And the dollar is up, making expenses lower. Ah, but given how many others will also figure that out, you might want to make your trip off-season, either just before or just after the regular tourist...
He's an interesting guy to listen to. Maybe Apple will put him to work creating helpful videos or podcasts.
undefined