or Connect

Posts by Inkling

I'm merely making a suggestion. If Apple is true to form, they might find a new product that beats the socks off both glue and Velcro. What I want most is no glued in batteries. Keep in mind the advantages of Velcro: 1. It can be easily reused even in the factory or for repairs at Apple stores. Glue is a bit too permanent and messy. It virtually defines tacky. 2. A Velcro pad roughly the size of a MBA's battery would have far more holding power than needed. You'd probably...
 You're assuming some nasty motives at Apple--products that are intentionally unfixable so users have to buy another sooner than otherwise. I prefer to assume that they're open to their customers's needs. My now aging white MacBook is certainly easy to upgrade, and I happen to think it's a better product for that. And I think that keeping Macs alive longer means they'll be used by more people and create more Mac customers in the long run. A kid who gets given his mom's old...
Law is as filled with specialization as medicine. Whatever talents Bromwich has--other than complaining--he doesn't know antitrust law. Apple shouldn't have to pay his huge, per-hour fees, getting nothing in return, and also pay someone who actually knows the field. Bromwich ought to be tossed out and a new and less prejudiced trial judge attached to this case pronto.
 Ah, but I'm not advocating that Apple add more stuff to a MBA. I'm simply pointing out that stuff could be more intelligently placed and attached. And I agree that Apple's has put a lot of effort into products like the MBA. They are beautifully designed. I'm merely suggesting that they add a new item to their overall checklist: improving the upgradability and repairability. Getting a 2 or a 3 on that from iFixit ought to be as unacceptable as having a 2 or 3 hour battery...
 Velcro badly place might add thickness. Velcro positioned perhaps to the sides rather than the bottom wouldn't. Remember this isn't Velcro used to attach a wing to a plane. It's used in an already heavily confined space just to prevent a tiny bit of movement. And I did note that other fasteners might be used. Almost anything but arc welding or reinforced concrete would be better than messy, difficult to remove glue. I studied electrical engineering at the same school,...
Yes, but Apple has made the Mac Pro much, much smaller  and lighter than its predecessor while also making it easy to work on. That demolishes the old argument that a high-end computer has to be large and noisy to be powerful. There's no reason the same can't be true for the feature set of the MBA. After all, I'm not advocating the removal of any features of the MBA. I'm simply saying that they could be arranged much better. For instance, my aging white MacBook isn't made...
An iFixtt score of 8. That is impressive. It confirms my hunch that Apple has designers smart enough to design modular, easy to repair or upgrade hardware. All they need is an incentive. If they'd do the same for the MacBook Air, I might finally upgrade--and so would many others. It wouldn't be that hard to create a MBA whose back is held on by Torx screws. Remove them and everything likely to need repair or upgrading would be visible. Even the battery could be held in...
At last, a freebie I like. From the trailer, Hugo sounds like it will be great and imaginative film.
Quote: "In Denmark we got a game: "Tiny Thief" - probably because we don't have TV Shows in the iTunes Store." Though I am stateside, Apple must think that I'm in Denmark too. My choice is Tiny Thief, a kid's game. Maybe that's because I've never bought a TV show. Couldn't Apple offer us something actually useful? They treat us like little twits needing to be distracted.
Gripe, gripe, gripe... Keep in mind why Apple is doing this. They've not undergone a Scrooge-like conversion to Lots of Free Stuff for Everybody. They know that quite a few people got iPads, iPhones and iPod touches this Christmas. They want to introduce them, targeted group by targeted group, to Apple's lucrative ecosystem, particularly iTunes. December 26th may not be about your group, but your day will probably come. --Michael W. Perry, Across Asia on a Bicycle