or Connect

Posts by Inkling

There's no reason to downgrade Apple's stock. This colorful little thingie is just an iPhone 5 in plastic. didn't cost Apple that much to design. It's also priced high enough, those who decide not to get it will probably buy the 5s instead. Those who can't afford the 5s aren't likely to be looking seriously at the 5c. On a contract, the difference is about a dime to a quarter a day over those two years. I know that, were I in the market for a spanking new iPhone--my 3GS...
Yes, and every 100th customer will receive a free unicorn. This attention-getting is the closest we'll ever see to a free Amazon smartphone. Amazon doesn't give away free Kindle epaper readers, even though they're inexpensive and only consume what Amazon sells. They're certainly not going to give away a smartphone that costs much more and that'll only incidentally generate other business for Amazon.
It's a marvelous move by Adobe. As a one-Mac publisher, I'd love to see them extend it into my field. Charge perhaps $19.95 for the apps needed to create documents and books. InDesign and Photoshop would be on my must-have list. Add Muse and Illustrator, and $29.95 might be justifiable. Adobe needs to keep in mind a problem employees face when they try to convince their boss that they must sign up for CC. The boss is likely to see that long list of apps and say, "Why are...
"Apple says DOJ's e-book settlement brief is improper, would give Amazon competitive advantage" Hasn't that been its purpose from Day One? Isn't that Chicago politics in a nutshell--using governmental power to help a politically favored business by crushing its competitors? Eric Holder, head of the DOJ is from Chicago. Obama was active in the city's politics for 20 years without making the slightest squeak about the city's corruption. Having Al Gore on Apple's board...
Yes and you can find similar Amazon policies that were aimed at Apple and others. Amazon's scheme to sell popular ebooks below cost was clearly intended to destroy what little competition they had. It's a standard practice for would-be monopolies. I really do hate how lawyers with agendas try to twist our minds. In football, competition means tackling the other team's quarterback when it has the ball. In business, it means adopting policies that hurt competitors. Fake...
I looked into joining the old affiliate program for my books but got turned off by all the hassle of dealing with a third party. I'm not sure this change will fix that. Compounding this problem for me is the fact that I recently moved cross-country and acquired new bank accounts. The more payment schemes I must belong to, the more I have to transfer when I move. And the more erratic the payments, as with affiliate schemes, the more easily they're forgotten. Apple's...
That's perhaps good news for those of us who're budget conscious--in my case a writer's budget. Not offering Siri would mean less load on Apple's huge server farm and less day-to-day expense. Until now, I've been less than impressed with the rumors of prices of this new phone. Pricing it about $100 less isn't going to work. People will either pay more for the style of the top iPhone or say 'to heck with Apple' and go for a cheaper Samsung phone. Carefully cutting out...
undefined
It's the last two words that throw off people who've spent the entire ad wondering who this mysterious "we" is. Try for a moment to recall anything "designed in California" in recent decades that impresses. Only a handful of states have worse public schools. The prisons are so crowded, a court has ordered criminals released onto the streets. Taxes are high. Government budgets are out of control. To please construction unions, the state is spending billions on a train to...
I'm glad Apple is making it easier to report map errors. That's been Google's strength. A few years back I asked Google Maps to give me a bike route from my place to the University of Washington. The route they gave would have been great except that they had me traveling CW around a lake where only CCW bike traffic is permitted. I reported that and, a couple of weeks later, got a thank you email from Google. Bringing Maps to Macs brings up a question that's mystified me...