or Connect

Posts by Inkling

There's actually an easy fix that should work with most laptops and make them more versatile. Allow the camera to rotate 180 degrees inside its housing. Forward for conference calling, rotated 90 degrees to look inside the housing and thus be inoperable, and rotated a further 90 degrees to record a classroom instructor. No firmware tweak can work around something physical.
Wow, still more channels for Apple TV! Yet more reasons not to buy a box that sucks your life away. I've not read Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death, but I suspect I agree with his point, as Publishers Weekly put it, "that television represents a hostile attack on literate culture." I've noticed a distinct difference in the kids of friends who don't have a television. Their kids are much more inquisitive and much better at keeping themselves busy and active. It's...
"BS," now let me see. Does that mean "Bettering Society," "Beautiful & Sweet" or perhaps something less thoughtful about all those drudging away in those huge factories in China. I can remember, just barely, the dull old days of Eisenhower and the Fifties. The era had its problems, but there was far more civility and far less obsession with bodily secretions back then. Some people, it appears, never get over the trauma of potty training. To their dying day, they're...
Nothing comes without costs. We should all pause a moment to remember those doing dull, repetitive, tedious work on assembly lines far away to make this possible.
 I assume you're speaking in jest with "means exactly what it says," After all, "the language of politics," when stated by a politician as corrupt, dishonest and ill-mannered as LBJ, means exactly nothing. I was right to be suspicious. Lie enough, and you'll not be believed even when you're honest. Remember the tale about the boy crying "Wolf." By the way, a friend of mine was the USAF still photographer selected to accompany LBJ on a tour through Asia and can he tell...
Quote: "Not ordinarily in such an incendiary mood, the Journal may be coming to the aid of its News Corp. stablemate and Apple's fellow antitrust defendant, publisher HarperCollins..." What a silly comment! You don't know squat about the WSJ, News Corp, Apple or HarperCollins. Report the news, stick to the story and don't add any ridiculous embellishments. Apple's getting stuck with huge fees for an intrusive lawyer who knows almost nothing about anti-trust law and who...
Quote:"The move by AT&T follows smaller carrier T-Mobile..." Yes, the three largest cellular providers are marching in such lock-step, market changes are driven by #4 T-Mobile. Yeah, T-Mobile! Apple is also working quietly to introduce more competition. Depending on the country & model, some of the latest iPhones let you switch to a wider array of providers. Unlocked, the A1533, for instance, will work with AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon. Details...
Google has been in California for ever so long. It ought to know that anything new or different would excite the anger of the state's myriad of regulatory bodies. In California, you can't build until the weight of your filing paperwork, surveys, environmental studies, and the like exceeds the weight of what you want to build. There's a host of rent-seekers that want their share. That's also why that $80 billion train line will never be finished.
Actually, I lived in Dallas for four years. I'm not sure how those guys making about $2,000 a month could afford a $4,000 a month apartment, but I did have a garage apartment in pricey Highland Park for $17 month (essentially utilities). I did yard work and babysat in exchange for the rent I wasn't paying. And I used to know someone who lived in a one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan with three roommates. How she managed I never found out.   Where there's a will there's...
Color these switchers stupid. Over a two year contract, the price difference between a 5c and a 5s works out to about a quarter a day, and that's money they're likely to get back when they sell an iPhone 5s. in 2015, the 5s will still be hot. The 5c will be a has-been. As for how they got those income stats, when you get a cell phone, you give up a lot of information. Just your name and your address can be linked to find out a lot about you. An age, for instance, can be...