or Connect

Posts by Inkling

He's right. The threat is quite real to watches bought as luxury items and status symbols. There, time-telling ability is irrelevant. They're for show%u2014for snobs to wave in front of other snobs. The only watches that are likely to remain untouched those so expensive their wearers would be ashamed to spend a mere few hundred dollars on an iWatch. The iWatch also posses little threat to the watches that many of us wear every day. We simply want a dependable way to tell...
Navigating inside buildings isn't an issue with most of us. We either know the way or follow the signs. What is an issue is getting map data where cellular data coverage is spotty. Apple needs to give their Maps app a world-class UI for downloading data in advanced, including specialized map data for hiking, skiing and off-roading. Not everyone is using their iPhone to find the nearest shoe store.
Steve Jobs' you-misplace-it hostility aside, a stylus makes a lot of sense, but if and only if Apple's iOS and apps can make a distinction between what's done with a stylus (i.e. drawing on screen) versus what is done with a finger (i.e. choosing drawing tools). It'd work around what's perhaps the #1 problem with touchscreen tablet UIs, the limited number of ways to input. A mouse, for instance, can hover over and click/double-click with any of several buttons. All a...
Why do Apple's executives let this happen? I can understand why their lawyers might want to fight. It means more work and pay for them. But this bad press isn't good for Apple. They'd be better off extending the warranty on those laptops or (even better) giving their owners a heavily discounted upgrade to a newer model. Instead of large legal costs and disgruntled customers, they'd have happy customers and good press. Heck, even a corporate bully like Amazon knows that. I...
I'm delighted by the possibility of that change. Apple's getting big enough, it could drive that development, particularly since much of it would be covered by iPhone, iPad, and Mac sales. The chip transition could be handled by their compilers. For a time, they could create code for both much as with the Intel transition. Besides, this will build a fire under Intel to speed up development of low-wattage chips. "It's better to be a pirate than join the navy." Not so....
I hope the hints in this article that Apple may want to keep the Mac mini more than a silly little media consumption gadget. Quite a few of us work-a-day people don't want our systems down when a display goes bad (iMacs) nor do we need the horsepower of a Mac Pro. The Mac mini is just right for us.
Thanks Apple! If the rumors be true, you've saved me $1000. Mated with a Bluetooth keyboard and with Scrivener for iOS (out soon), my iPad 3 will do everything I need in a portable device. I can take a pass on this new model. Your loss is my gain. Why? Strip too many features from a laptop and it becomes, for all practical purposes, a tablet. The differing OSs matter not. iOS has every app I need for on the go and others beside. And mine already has a Retina screen and a...
"0.8 millimeters thinner than Apple's iPhone 6 Plus." Hopefully, this will help to break Apple's silly obsession with thiner and thiner iPhones. What others can do can't be that special. The thinner they are, the greater the need users feel to place them in cases. I tell friends that mine%u2014inside a sturdy Otter Defender case%u2014looks like something combat troops would use. Someone would have to look very close to tell that it's an iPhone 5.
I tried it and found it still a beta product, actually causing more problems with my Mac mini than my iPad 3. I don't really need it, since I have two large displays, but hopefully all the bugs can get worked out. A MBA with an iPad display would be an ideal combination. But to do that, the performance issues need to be cleared up. It's not just the lag they create. It's the heavy burden they place on batteries.
Let's hope Apple can come up with a MacBook Air that makes upgrades exciting. Retina is a must, as is a power supply like the Dart: http://finsix.com/dart/ It's ridiculous for such a light laptop to have a chunky brick for a power supply. Also useful: 1. Keep Ethernet but offer a smaller, MagSafe-like connector. 2. More than two USB ports. It's ridiculous to have to carry another gadget just to have three. 3. Cellular data as an add-on option with data terms like...