or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Here's what seems to have not been posted previously due to some glitch.   Most likely this is for at least part of their MacBook line, with the key question whether they'll add it first to the high-end MacBook Pros, where the most profits are, or to the MacBook Airs, where light weight is a prime selling point.   I've never been a fan of aluminum cases since they muck up WiFi coverage. I also live with a tight writer's budget, so upgrading my perfectly...
The most obvious failing of the new connector are those exposed connections. The chip, which is connected to the power circuit, could provide current-limiting protection in case of a short circuit. If that's all it is, it won't be that hard to copy. And if that's what it is, using clones without that feature could result in problems.
J.P. Morgan is probably more interested in selling Apple shares that getting this story right. The impact on the GDP will be more illusionary than real. 1. Because many of these iPhone purchases will come at the expense of some other purchase. And those high cellular contract prices will drain people's bank accounts for two years for this one quarterly blip. 2. iPhones are made from parts manufactured worldwide (generally where the labor is cheapest) and assembled in...
Those exposed connectors could prove a major problem. If it falls on anything metallic, something could short, including the 5 volt USB power. Like the exposed antenna in the iPhone 4, this supports my sense that the artists have a bit too much sway around Apple and the engineers too little. The result are products that are more pretty than practical. The same can be said of Apple products that favor thinness over a decent battery life. I've not upgraded to a MacBook...
The most likely scenario is that the NSA had that data, perhaps with Apple's assistance, and someone there leaked it, unofficially of course, to this FBI agent. Cracking an individual agent's laptop would be a lot easier than cracking computers at Apple or some federal agency. Why would hackers claim to have done much less than what they actually did?   The other alternatives include:   The hackers got the data from some federal agency that got the data from...
I don't care for Apple's patenting this, given how nasty they're getting at using patents to crush competition. But I've never cared for metal laptop enclosures, since that can make WiFi coverage spotty. It'd be great if carbon fiber could come to the next generation MacBook Air.
Sigh, yet another indication that Apple regards its typical customer as someone who is:   In their late teens or early twenties Has no long-term aspirations of any sort Lives for their recreational activities Has the attention span of a gerbil   I'm no Windows fan, but at least Microsoft does market their products for adults who get work done.
This is Phase 1 in the fallout of this decision by the world's sloppiest jury.   Here are a few specifics:   They seemed to have ignored the judge's instructions, because reading and understanding that would take too long, perhaps two or three days. They decided to not take into account prior art, per their own comments, because that was confusing and too much trouble.  And they even tried to fine Samsung for items they're ruled not in violation--I...
Forget the thin. Give this beast more battery life--or as an alternative offer an EL version that thicker and has a longer useful time.   Apple needs to make their gadgets for people that actually work for a living. Not just those wanting to make silly fashion statements. Thin makes about as much sense as diamond encrusted.
Apple lawyers need to cool it. I've watched the scene in 2001, a 1968 film, that has a device that looks and behaves remarkably like an iPad. Here's what Wikipedia says about that:         And yet that's something Apple has sought to exclude, apparently successfully. That's censorship Apple. And censorship is bad.   Sorry Apple, but I don't like your tactics in this lawsuit, in and outside the courtroom. Get you own act together and quit going after Samsung. You're just...