or Connect

Posts by Inkling

There's quite a good reason for paying that Mac Tax and going with Apple. Not only are the OS X upgrades now free, you can trust them to be genuine improvements. Microsoft's only batting about 1 in 3 for new versions being actual improvements. I agree that Apple's probably not that threatened in the smartphone or tablet markets. There's a good reason for that. If you assume a 3-year life for a product (dad/mom for two years, the kids for one), Then paying an extra $200...
 Despite the enormous increase in the role of the federal government since FDR, most of what impacts our lives come from the states we live in. States exist in their own right, being merely federated into the national government. Cities and clusters of cities like Silicon Valley are creations of a state. The laws that matter--like those against murder, rape and assault--are state laws. The prisons and schools are funded by the state. If California goes bad--as indeed it...
Actually, the oddity is that Apple's devices say "Designed in California" (a state) but "Assembled in China" (a country). Why not "Designed in the USA" or "Assembled in [Chinese province]," particularly since Chinese provinces differ far more than U.S. states. There's a weird, odd lack of symmetry, particularly given that the norm on almost every product shipped globally is to give the country of origin. In fact, apart from Idaho potatoes and Florida oranges, I can't think...
 You can't maintain a highly skilled workforce in state that ranks near the bottom in schools. And you can't maintain the sort of place a skilled work force from elsewhere wants to move to when the state has huge budget deficits, corrupt, single-party politics, out of control state and local unions etc. Yes, for a time Apple can afford to pay its new workers enough to live where even a modestly middle-class income cost $1 million plus. But only for a time. Eventually,...
 No, I suspect these data centers employ, at most, a few dozen people. They're often located where electrical costs are lowest, and I wonder if those communities are making a wise choice. They might be better off attracting businesses that would provide more jobs per cheap megawatt-hour. California's problems have been growing for a long time. In the eighties, I can remember non-profits leaving the state. They simply could not afford to pay their staff enough to buy a home...
Short term, I'd put my money on Apple. At this point, innovation matters. But when the smartphone technology matures, the advantage will shift to Samsung. Then its lower cost of design and production will matter more. It can sell a better product for less. Keep in mind that everyone builds in the same factories, so no one can benefit there. Apple's jingoism about "Designed in California" will be its undoing. It's spending billions to design products in the state that's...
 Interesting details, but my point remains. It's one more thing to remember before I go out the door. We live in a much more complicated world when that list was: 1. Wallet, 2. Keys. At some point people will begin to say, "Enough!"
Duh! Different sizes for men and women? That's just sensible marketing. Men's watches are usually larger than those for women, and it's men who like those huge G-Shock watches. I wonder if gadget fatigue will soon set in. I recently consolidated the two iPhones I was carrying into one and found it delightful. One less device to worry about. This iWatch will mean yet another thing to remember when we go out. Some may say, "Why bother?" Apple has to get a younger...
Yeah sure, Apple is behind this 100%. You can see that in just how zealous they are about long-established laws and policies about non-discrimination based on mere male/female distinctions, laws dating back over 40 years. Next time you watch one of Apple's staged events, notice the number of upper Apple executives coming on stage who're women. Almost exactly 50% isn't? Errrrr! Maybe I should correct that. I can't recall even one woman in an on-stage role at Apple. Here's...
I wonder if they'll expand this to smartphones like the iPhone on prepay plans? A cross-country move meant shifting my 3gs to AT&T to get better coverage in a small university town. I'd be willing to live with that one less bar if going back meant a sip of free data each month. I'm not always in range of WiFi.