or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Apple lawyers need to cool it. I've watched the scene in 2001, a 1968 film, that has a device that looks and behaves remarkably like an iPad. Here's what Wikipedia says about that:         And yet that's something Apple has sought to exclude, apparently successfully. That's censorship Apple. And censorship is bad.   Sorry Apple, but I don't like your tactics in this lawsuit, in and outside the courtroom. Get you own act together and quit going after Samsung. You're just...
Actually, petty technicalities aside, Samsung has a good case. Something appearing remarkably like the iPad was part of the long-ago film 2001. Samsung did have iPhone-like designs before Apple's design was made public, and Apple did borrow the iPhone's design heavily from a Sony design. It's difficult to see how, in a fair trial, Apple can get what it wants most--a ban on any iPhone or iPad that looks like theirs--particularly if the devices prove as popular as those...
This judge seems so eager to not only exclude Samsung's evidence, but keep the company from going public with information that the jury isn't going to see--evidence that's already publicly available. Imagine a murder trial where solid evidence of innocence that's been in the press is excluded because the prosecution won't have time to prepare a counter-argument. This is like that.   Groklaw is doing an excellent job of covering this story. You can find them...
Perhaps nothing indicates how clueless the EU is better than describing a two-year warranty as "free." If it costs Apple, it'll be reflected in the price.   Much of what the EU does, particularly joining the Greek and Germany economies under one currency, seems to be attempting to dictate by fiat things that simply cannot be. It's a bit like trying to prevent suicides from tall buildings by suspending the law of gravity.
I wish this obsession with slim would pass. I carry my laptop in bags that are so thick, even another inch in thickness hardly matters. What I'd really like to see is are 11" and 13" MacBook Airs with iPad-like battery lives, perhaps even 12-15 hours.
I'm glad Apple's doing this for my 3GS. I'd wondered if it might be too old.   If weather alerts become part of this, I hope Apple will let users configure which alerts they get  like the better weather alert radios. If we can't we're likely to be bother us more often than we like. Then we'll turn the blasted thing off altogether.   If you're not in boating, it makes to turn off small craft advisories since they come all the time. And if you live on high ground,...
I've got GPS in both my iPhones but none in my new iPad, because a GPS in iPads only comes with cellular, which I don't need. Am I out of luck? I hope not.   Any chance that Apple will create a Bluetooth feature in iPhones that'd feed a steady stream of location data to a nearby iPad? The result would also be more accurate GPS data, important in drive-by navigation. Users could place their iPhone next to their windshield, with a clear view of the sky, and use the...
Slimmer is a dumb move. These are laptops and not bread knives. I'd rather than them a bit thicker, with the extra space taken up by a larger battery. Having used the new iPad since it came out, I'm not interested in replacing my aging MacBook until there are models with 10+ hour batteries. I like being able to go several days without recharging.
In the early 1950s, I'm told, half the industrial production of the world took place in the nine U.S. states that surround the Great Lakes. Now we refer to that region as our Rust Belt, with Detroit having a city population only half what it had then. That's the bad news.   And yes, it is true, as some have noted, that there's a cycle of rising wages/costs that tend to overprice a country's manufactured goods, allowing other countries to move into the gap. We lost...
Smart TV? That sounds as much like an oxymoron as an Athletic Couch. And yes, I know the "smart" is a reference to the clever design of the TV, rather than its long-lasting effects on viewers.   Apple is definitely on to something here. Almost all current TV/entertainment systems can be compared in the ease of use, not to Window 95,  but to the command line miseries of DOS. To do something, you must decipher the cryptic meaning of all the obscure symbols on one of...