or Connect

Posts by Inkling

If you look for the Health app on your iPad, you won't find it. For reasons that defy good sense, the app won't install on iPads, new or old. That makes no sense. Many of those who could benefit from the Health apps see no reason to own an iPhone with their iPad does all they need. And hospital staff often use iPads rather than iPhones.
 I believe the New Ice Age scare peaked in the late seventies just after the resource depletion hysteria and a decade after the population bomb hysteria. These things keep coming along, one after the other. None are ever true. Almost all have covert political agendas. I believe the New Ice Age was driven by a decade or two of cooling much like our more recently Global Warming hysteria. The key factor is some simplistic fact to dupe journalists, not that fooling them is...
Oh, it's quite easy to be optimistic about climate change. The shift of terms from a hysterical "global warming" to a more benign "climate change" hints that the latter ended some seventeen years ago. We've now had more recent years with flat temperatures than rising ones. The only credible risk is that sun seems to be hinting we might be entering another period like the prolonged sunspot minimum called the Maunder Minimum...
This is a most strange article. It mentions Apple's roll-out but not the troubles it had. The actual feed was a crazy mixture of color bars, Chinese translation, and prior video.
Can publishers bundle ebooks on the iBookstore? In the past, there's been no way to sell a reflowable version of a book (for iPhones) and a fixed-format version for iPads together at one price. Customers had to buy both separately even though the content was the same. Bundles of ebooks would also let authors sell their entire series in one package.
My 3GS won't run iOS 8. I hope there will be a version for my iPad.
There must be a reason Apple is discounting their laptops so heavily. The change may not come until 2015, but look for major improvements in both the MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air, improvements that may have many hitting their forehead and asking, "Why didn't I wait?" Other than Retina for the MBA and a better battery life due to the new chips, I'm not sure what those changes will be. One must-have is a compact power supply like the Kickstarter Dart. It's ridiculous to...
 Alas, no. I actually think they're still living in the world of the 1970s, when California was the Golden State.  At one time California did many things right, investing in dams and aqueducts rather than now being inordinately proud of plastic bag bans or purging tiny traces of chemicals in their products. It's called chauvinism, meaning being for a region but indifferent to or ignorant of its problems. Like Tim Cook, I grew up in Alabama and never understood why...
Why did Apple's upper management think their taste in music was shared by everyone else? If they'd wanted to stress their products' links music, books and apps, they could have offered an iTunes coupon with each purchase. Let the public choose what they like and don't confine that to music. If reports of true that Apple's "payment" for this free music includes sponsoring combined Apple/U2 advertising, then Apple is in big trouble. Those U2 ads are as likely to irritate as...
12-inches is good, but who cares that much about colors. They're not worth a $1000 purchase, particularly when you can get a similar result with a $25 case. Apple needs to take a hard look at what features it can add to the MBA to make it worth buying for those who have an iPad. Every time I think about replacing my aging white MacBook, I look over at my iPad and ask, "what is there that I'm doing on my MacBook, that I couldn't be doing on that iPad?" The only...