or Connect

Posts by Inkling

I agree. This sort of move would be a 'bridge too far'--maybe two bridges too far. The cost would be too high for a mainstream product. If Apple makes a move like this, it's likely to come first in a high-end, standalone display.   Laptops are another matter. I'm so delighted by the screen on my new iPad. I'm delaying getting a MBA at least until it gets a retina display.
I'm on T-Mobile with an iPhone and I like their plans and service. What I don't like is being told that my iPhone is not-supported.   T-Mobile needs to:   1. Fully support iPhones as if they were purchased from them. There are so few models, that shouldn't be hard.   2. Make up for T-Mobile's current deficiencies. Offer iPhone users extra benefits (i.e. free SMS) until the new 3G/4G/LTE data services come online.   After all, we brought our own phones to...
Greenpeace is clueless about electrical power distribution. Locating close to hydropower may save money, but it has little to do with clean versus dirty. If these allegedly 'clean' hosting sites weren't using that power, it'd be going out over the grid to other areas of the country, displacing coal power. The Pacific NW where I live routinely sends power down to California. I suspect Apple's simply locating for reasons other than getting the cheapest electricity. And...
Oh how I loathe the current DOJ. The idea that agency pricing is some nasty tool of evil, giant book publishers is total, utter bosh. Small publishers and self-publishing authors are so delighted by the agency model, that they insisted that Smashwords change its contract to the agency model. Agency pricing allows an author, no matter how unimportant, to hold special sales and test lower prices, knowing that giant retailers will have to change prices on their...
If it's like other settlements I've seen, the $15 won't cover the trouble and bother of filling out the paperwork. These settlements are typically scams run for lawyers. The lawyers who sued get hundreds of dollars an hour for their time. You and I might get $5 an hour for our time. Apple pays the other side's lawyers and, in exchange, gets an agreement that makes claim filing so much trouble, it'll have to pay almost nothing to the alleged victims. Class action...
Let's hope iPad are required to be stowed during takeoffs and landings. I've got one of the new iPads, and it's heavy and has a sharp edge. I wouldn't want one of them flying around a cabin if something went wrong during those critical phases of a flight. Climbing to cruising altitude and the approach to the airport are fine. But not in those first or last couple of minutes.
Apple will certainly find takers at these prices, but the cuts aren't really enough. The iPad 2 is roughly twice the original iPad and the new iPad roughly twice that. By those standards, the original iPad should be selling for about $125. Looked at another way, the original iPad will no longer supported by iOS upgrades or by the latest and greatest apps about two years sooner. Divide $200 by 730 and you find it will cost about 27 cents a day to avoid that too-soon...
Catalogs are for selling. I wonder if Apple is planning to let retailers sell their products via iPads and, if so, what sort of cut it'll take. Insisting on 30% will get few takers. Charge 2-3% like credit cards and they'll get a flood of businesses. And since prices and product lines change, they'll need a auto-revision scheme.
Television's old business model of ad-supported broadcasts is fading and Apple is making a good move. For several years, I've suspected that television watchers expectations are changing. Increasingly, they want to watch shows when convenient for them and without ads. Even more important, they're willing to pay for that convenience now that the technology makes the cost reasonable. Apple is willing to provide the channel and hardware. We now have to wait for the content...
Now if they'd just let us expand the Save dialogue window to add metadata and keywords to a file. Having to go through the Finder and Cmd-I is a pain.