or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Nice idea, but I'd like to see Apple do something that'd make location finding more helpful: create a way for iOS devices to share GPS location data via Bluetooth. In my case, it'd let me use my iPhone GPS with my iPad.
For those who're wondering, the official release date for all these shiny new CC upgrades is June 17th. I'm planning to delay joining until just before that date to avoid a double-humped learning curve (old CS versions then the new versions). I've also upgraded my broadband service to take advantage of one of the side benefits of a subscription, 20 GB of off-side storage. I've needed that for a long time. Personally, I'm hoping that Adobe dribbles those upgrades out over...
It'll also save those pilots a lot of (probably uncompensated) time keeping what goes into that bag up to date. And that's likely to mean better-rested, more alert pilots.
I'd be happier if they had an extended life model with the same thickness and weight but a longer battery life. Apple's big enough now, it needs more options.
Quote: "Tacking an S onto the existing model number sends a rather weak message," Segall writes. "It says that this is our 'off-year' product, with only modest improvements." How silly! It's about what I'd expect from a 'brand consultant' focused on image and illusions. It's shallow, ill-informed people talking about the views of equally shallow, ill-informed people. I've got both a iPhone 3G and a 3GS. The former was left behind in the later versions of iOS The latter...
Live updates can be far more useful than getting stuck in a search, read, search, read loop. I know. The OneBusAway app on my iPhone gives constant updates of Seattle bus arrivals. This could be that for All Sorts of Things. I have my doubts about live traffic updates though. If too many people use the feature, that quickest route can quickly become a parking lot.
Quote: "Apple's own assurances that it is complying with court orders to turn over evidence in a privacy lawsuit are insufficient according to the judge presiding over the case, who has ruled that the company must now turn over all documents related to the matter." Yes, and that'd almost certainly violate the very privacy that this lawsuit is supposed to be protecting. Personally, I think these lawyers suing Apple are blowing hot air. I looked at the location data on my...
What's there about Apple that makes so many analysts and reporters behave like fools? Every other tech company executive on the planet would love to have the sorts of problems that Apple will face over the next few years. These idiots think every little blip down spells the end of the world.
I can imagine something simpler but perhaps more useful. Users carry a Bluetooth signaling device with a long battery life. When they walk away from their computer for more than a couple of minutes, it goes to sleep. A few minutes later, the lights dim. Shortly after that, if there's no Bluetooth signal in the entire house and certain other conditions are met (i.e. a weekday morning), the entire house goes into Owner Away mode. When the owner returns, the process reverses...
Absolutely marvelous! I have two iPhones with GPS, so I'm less than happy than neither can share that location data with my non-cellular iPad, with its much larger screen and better audio for turn-by directions. Let's hope these features come soon and work with older iDevices. One of Apple's primary competitive advantages, I tell friends, is their support for previous generation gear. My 3GS runs the latest iOS. Try finding that with someone's else's smartphone. Most go...