or Connect

Posts by Inkling

I'm glad Apple is making it easier to report map errors. That's been Google's strength. A few years back I asked Google Maps to give me a bike route from my place to the University of Washington. The route they gave would have been great except that they had me traveling CW around a lake where only CCW bike traffic is permitted. I reported that and, a couple of weeks later, got a thank you email from Google. Bringing Maps to Macs brings up a question that's mystified me...
I'm delighted that B&N is staying with epaper devices. It's more of a natural for a bookseller than tablets. And, whether they realize it or not, Amazon is leaving an opening in the market that they could fill. Amazon never developed the potential of their epaper devices and seems to have lost interest in them since the Fire came out. B&N might consider: 1. An epaper-based ebook subscription service. Pay so much per month, and you get to chose from a wide selection of...
Apple favoring battery life over CPU power by choosing to go with a slower Haswell chip and no Retina display makes good marketing sense and, in this case, good marketing means the most happy customers. Keep in mind that Apple never splatters computers all over the marketplace like Dell. It carefully targets specific segments with a particular computer. * The MacBook Air targets those who don't need a powerful computer at all, as well as those who need a second, on-the-go...
Between vandalism, cloudy days, and that battery fading away after a couple of years, this idea makes little sense to anyone who's not a politician posturing as a green. Much better would be more AC outlets in parks and public areas. Limit them with a 5-amp breaker is electricity costs are an issue. They'd be far more reliable and much cheaper to maintain than this solar silliness. You could also use them with laptops and to fast-charge a tablet.
Quote: "It's fascinating to see how this CC transformation is separating the wheat from the chaff! ;-)" Or put another way, separating those who'd rather gripe and complain than work. I joined CC yesterday and I've been as busy as a bee today. Having the latest of everything updated constantly should up my productivity enough to pay for the subscription and more. I just hope cloud sharing can be device-selective. I'd rather not clutter the MacBook Air I'm planning to...
The fact that Steve Jobs didn't initially want iBooks is most interesting. It almost makes this mess of a dispute worthwhile, that and learning what Apple believes its market share to be--an impressive 20%. No wonder Amazon is unhappy. No wonder it whistled for the DOJ to do its dirty work. Of course, that's not really surprising. From the start, Apple hasn't had its heart in selling ebooks like it has in selling music. I spotted that early on, particularly as month after...
Ah, but what's the battery life on these Haswell MBAs going to be like. That's what I wonder. If the battery life isn't a bit beyond ten hours, I don't see any reason to upgrade my sturdy little white MacBook. I'm strong enough not to notice a couple of extra pounds. That and I'd like to see WiFi-ac in place of the now old n-standard. I try not to upgrade my laptops until they come with the latest WiFi standard.
Having worked in a hospital, I can easily imagine how, with a well-designed UI and the right apps, a tunic-pocket sized iPad mini could be a marvelous work organizer and time saver. For remembering to-dos back in that technological stone age, I had to depend on a wind-up pocket alarm. Linked to equipment, an iPad could be even better. The nurses I worked with depended on their IV pumps to beep when they ran out of fluid. A well-designed system could link to those pumps...
Ah, but the article failed to answer the question that's on my mind. Will the new iOS run on my aging but still serviceable 3GS? My budget doesn't allow it to be replaced, but I'd like to keep up with the upgrades.
It's a bit difficult to swallow all this whining by an Amazon executive. At the time of Apple's alleged crime, Amazon owned 90% of the ebook market in the U.S. and was selling many ebooks belong their cost to crush competitors. Now their market share is in the 70% range, still too high for a healthy competitive market but better. Not dominating the market is what has Amazon hot and bothered. Apple's problem isn't an excess of zeal or any effort to dominate the ebook...