or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Still no fix for the dreadful spelling correction suggestions? One letter missing or two letters transposed and it's clueless.
I was most impressed that Apple had an iOS patch for this that covered iOS 6 and my aging iPhone 3gs. That's the kind of long-term support, I tell people, that puts iPhones ahead of their competition. Most smartphone makers seem to give no support once a product is discontinued. I hope Apple does the same with the OS X patch. My MacBook, which I still find useful, won't run any OS X past Lion. It needs a patch too.
Great ideas all, and likely to be a good reason to get us to upgrade. But while they're making all these changes, Apple might give serious consideration to: 1. Adding GPS to all iPads. It'd one-up the competition and location can be valuable even without cellular data. 2. Consider adding GPS to MacBook Pros and perhaps the MacBook Air. 3. Develop a way for GPS-equipped iPhones and iPads to share location data via Bluetooth with other Apple devices. Again, that'd one-up...
Larger screens are OK, but that's hardly innovative. Almost everyone else already has one. If Apple wants to "Be Different," is should create an iPhone Sport that can be taken surfing or even in dives down 30-40 feet. It'd also work well in hospital environments where equipments needs to be sterilized. It makes little sense to be developing an iWatch to be used for jogging in a heavy rain, but have an iPhone attached that can't cope with a light mist. Apply might also...
* Adjustable control whose purpose an app could define would be great. I hate having to mouse to those tiny sliders in apps. Using it for scrolling through web pages would be great too. * A virtual keyboard? Not so great. No tactile feedback. On the other hand, having the keyboard lighting dim when a user stops typing to extend battery life would be fine. --Mike Perry
Yeah, when I lived in Seattle, I was only a couple of miles from the Apple store in University Village. That was nice. I'd love to see the same convenience here. Atlanta is way too far to drive, and Birmingham is even worse. Auburn does have a third-party vendor here who can do warranty repairs, so it's not hopeless.   Keep in mind that Auburn is the place to live and shop for quite a few miles around, so those long distances to existing Apple stores are a plus. It also...
The first Apple Store in all Latin America? That's an entire continent that's been without an Apple store. Strange! Then again, it's also true that Auburn, AL--Tim Cook's own college town--is also without an Apple store. I live there and the closest stores are some two hours away in either Birmingham or Atlanta. Note these facts, many driven by the high-tech companies moving here. * In 2013 Lumosity placed it on a list of fifty of the "Smartest Cities" in the country. *...
Yeah, and Mercedes really ought to manufacture a cheap, rattly econobox car to grab more market share. Were I Apple, I'd take a different approach. I'd go out of my way encourage a healthy used iPhone market for those who can't currently afford a new iPhone with its pricey contract. Then when they graduate (for instance), those college students who were using a second-hand $150 iPhone 4 will have so many iOS apps, they won't give a moment's thought to buying an Android...
Give them away to friends and family. Even if they don't want to use them as phones, they're perfectly fine for other purposes.
Failing to show irreparable harm is courtspeak for there being at least one other way Apple can solve this problem, however painful that may be. In this case, it's that, like it or not, Apple is deep-pocketed enough to afford to pay those outlandish fees. This illustrates a common pattern within virtually any bureaucracy--in this case our judicial system. Little failures and little crimes are easy to get corrected. They don't suggest that there's anything wrong with the...