or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Why did Apple's upper management think their taste in music was shared by everyone else? If they'd wanted to stress their products' links music, books and apps, they could have offered an iTunes coupon with each purchase. Let the public choose what they like and don't confine that to music. If reports of true that Apple's "payment" for this free music includes sponsoring combined Apple/U2 advertising, then Apple is in big trouble. Those U2 ads are as likely to irritate as...
12-inches is good, but who cares that much about colors. They're not worth a $1000 purchase, particularly when you can get a similar result with a $25 case. Apple needs to take a hard look at what features it can add to the MBA to make it worth buying for those who have an iPad. Every time I think about replacing my aging white MacBook, I look over at my iPad and ask, "what is there that I'm doing on my MacBook, that I couldn't be doing on that iPad?" The only...
Quote: "Apple states that its upcoming watch borrows GPS and WiFi from its paired iPhone." That's good news, but the news I'd like to hear is that my (non-cellular) iPad and Mac laptop can "borrow" GPS from my iPhone.
Alas, all the accounts I've read have both Bono the guy and U2 the band taking advantage of the Irish-Dutch sandwich. Besides, the more taxes U2 avoids, the more is passed along to Bono. It amounts to the same thing.   When I lived in Seattle we had to endure something similar. Both Bill Gates, Sr. and Jr., thought 'tax the rich but not me' was a credible position. It wasn't.   Gates Jr. spent far more on his Lake Washington home that it ended up being worth because...
If the NY Times is right that Apple paid $100 million for these free downloads, the currently Apple has paid about $50 per download. That money would have been better spent offering free apps, music, and ebook downloads with the purchase of new Apple devices. That way, people would get what they want and they'd establish a buying habit.
Google and you'll discover a host of articles about how Bono-U2 once paid straight Irish taxes when they were the lowest. When those taxes went up for entertainers with large incomes, Bono-U2 switched to a tax-evasion scheme called the Irish-Dutch Sandwich to continue his tax avoidance. Here's but one article on the topic.   http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1026589.shtml   I seem to recall reading that Apple uses a similar ploy. Perhaps that's one reason...
Fortunately, I had auto downloads (Preference-Store) turned off. It's bad enough that some of what I pay Apple is going aggressively tax-evading Bono-U2. It'd be worse if their music were cluttering my hard drive. Note too this Guardian article in which Bono says, in essence, that the sales of their latest album were down because the public is stupid, or as Bono put it: "And I suppose we've made a work that is a bit challenging for people who have grown up on a diet of...
This demonstrates something that matters. Apple and Adobe share something in common. They often work hard to put the proper fit and finish on their products. Both, however, use the open source Hunspell in their products and it has a woeful lack of finesse. In OS X apps that use Hunspell, I'm routinely left amazed by its utter inability to make spelling suggestions. About a third the time it hasn't a clue? Even a single missing letter or transposed pair of letters leaves...
Make all the tunes in iTunes free? Now why didn't I think of that!   Sigh, it wouldn't work. Apple owns those iCloud servers and can charge or not charge as it so chooses. All those musicians won't be happy not getting their 70% royalties. Neither would I about my books in the iBookstore. I'd end up living in a dumpster. Not good. Dumpsters smell. I would smell. I'd have no friends. My life would be miserable.   But Apple makes enough money selling gadgets to cover the...
Is it really worth the bother of collecting $0.99. Apple should offer that to anyone who's bought an Apple product recently and be done with the penny pinching.