or Connect

Posts by Inkling

I attach little value to impressing strangers at coffee shops. It pays no bills and strikes me as mere vanity. And I'll find other ways to charm pretty girls.   Laptops and software are tools. I want them to be good and effective tools. I'd be delighted to trade another 1/8-inch thickness for several more hours of battery life.   'Thin is stupid' is even more true with iPhones. There, Apple devotes an extraordinary amount of time shaving a tiny fraction of an inch off...
Thin is the new stupid%u2014or, since the fad has been around since the RAZR phone, maybe I should say, "Thin is the old stupid that won't go away." From the user's perspective, it makes no sense to make a laptop super thin. The width, length, and slipperiness of the case means we have to carry it about in a laptop bag. Once in that bag, the thickness matters not. In fact, in most cases the bag's padding will the two or three times a laptop's thickness. This designer fad...
The Russian scientist Ivan Pavlov (1849-1936) would have been delighted by this phenomena. Simply say the word "Adobe," and the anti-Creative Cloud dogs began to bark and howl. Creative Cloud isn't for under-employed guys in a basement with apps of dubious ownership. It's for professionals who earn enough in an hour or two to pay for that monthly subscription. For them, CC changes application updating for the better%u2014much, much better. * They get features as soon as...
Yes, I can hear the conversation in Apple's board rooms grow excited. "Oh my gosh! I just read this letter from the EU. Does this mean we've been saving $9 billion dollars a year in taxes? Amazing, I never realized that. I thought we were just doing this Irish thing because we like those "4,000 people we employ in Cork." That's, of course, nonsense. Apple knew precisely what it was doing. At issue is whether it needed a bit of illegal assistance from the Irish government...
Don't listen to him. Keep telling yourself, "I want that bigger screen. I've got to have that bigger screen. My life will be incomplete without that bigger screen." Then sell your iPhone 5 or 5s, so I can afford to get one used. My writer's budget can afford new with a contract. More seriously, What you describe suggests that Apple's making a mistake only keeping grandfathered versions with a smaller screen around. If your average guy hands have trouble with the iPhone 6,...
I love my current-edition Mac mini, but I do wish Apple will refresh it more ways than the CPU. * Larger, with more rugged full-sized rather than laptop drives would be great. There's lots of room under my desk. It doesn't need to be small. * So would the same set of new ports that Apple is likely to be adding to their laptops in 2015. Without that, it will soon be outdated. And lots of ports. You almost can't have too many of them. * I'm so spoiled by having mine drive...
There's something pitifully sad about a lost iPhone, in its last act before giving up its life and shutting down, sending about its last location in a "Please find me. I'm here" message. Oh, poor little iPhone.
If you look for the Health app on your iPad, you won't find it. For reasons that defy good sense, the app won't install on iPads, new or old. That makes no sense. Many of those who could benefit from the Health apps see no reason to own an iPhone with their iPad does all they need. And hospital staff often use iPads rather than iPhones.
 I believe the New Ice Age scare peaked in the late seventies just after the resource depletion hysteria and a decade after the population bomb hysteria. These things keep coming along, one after the other. None are ever true. Almost all have covert political agendas. I believe the New Ice Age was driven by a decade or two of cooling much like our more recently Global Warming hysteria. The key factor is some simplistic fact to dupe journalists, not that fooling them is...
Oh, it's quite easy to be optimistic about climate change. The shift of terms from a hysterical "global warming" to a more benign "climate change" hints that the latter ended some seventeen years ago. We've now had more recent years with flat temperatures than rising ones. The only credible risk is that sun seems to be hinting we might be entering another period like the prolonged sunspot minimum called the Maunder Minimum...