or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Hopefully, iPods won't drop out altogether. There's still a market for them, including: 1. Parents who don't want or can't afford the expense of an iPhone for their small child but still want them to have a music player. 2. People whose business supplies them with and expects them to use, even in off hours, a smartphone. Getting a second smartphone with its added bother and expense makes no sense for them. Their employer doesn't care if they use that business smartphone...
Quote: "new smarts to sports, weather, photos, and more..." Yet another demonstration that Apple thinks its typical user is an immature twit with nothing better to do than obsess over "sports, weather, photos." It'd be nice if Apple would expend some effort to make their products useful to those of us who work for a living doing the hum-drum but necessary, you know things like a spell checker that's not worthless or the ability to move files between apps and devices...
The practice, as others, have noted, quite common. When I worked for an art museum there was a bag check even though virtually nothing on display would fit inside a pack. In the end, most searches accomplish little. They are embarrassing and soon become a superficial formality. And if someone really wanted to steal, it wouldn't be hard to come up with a secret compartment. It actually makes more sense to screen employees for a criminal record. Absent that, the risk is...
I'd like to see another feature, a way to alert us when an incoming call is from a telemarketer, perhaps even with the option of one-tap blocking of all calls from that number. Since most of those jerks don't have someone on the line listening to the ring sound, I give a call from an unknown number about two seconds to start talking before hanging up. I then check that number with a Google search. If it comes up as a telemarketer, I block it. But that's more hassle than...
Hopefully, the transit features will also include maps of airport interiors and how to get about them.
No mention of GPS location sharing? I've long wanted my iPhone to me able to share my location with my iPad and MacBook. A simple Bluetooth protocol should be all it takes.
I'm glad to see Apple is including Markdown in Swift. It's be great if they'd build support for Markdown into the text features of iOS and OS X too. That and: 1. Allowing all text apps to benefit from many of the features of Pages, including styles. That'd make it easy to move documents around. 2. Drastic improvements to OS X's spell checker. 3. Make export to epub as easy as export to PDF has always been within OS X. That's important for mobile devices with varying...
Among veterinarians, this is called "putting down" a pet, except in this case the pet is a stray that never found owners. Newsstand never attracted many users, do unless Apple comes up with something magic, this new app is likely to bomb too. The problem doesn't just lie with how Apple shares revenue with publications. It lies with the value, if any, users attach to the application.
Apple certainly needs to do something to fix its cloud woes. Last week, for some reason the iOS app store had an over abundance of app updates. Their servers could not handle the load and iTunes isn't robust to handle the non-responses from them. As a result, my iTunes went in spinning rainbow land and the iTunes database files got trashed. I only fixed the problem by replacing those files with those in a SuperDuper backup from the day before. Mac users who were less tech...
Diversity? The selection process for corporate ranks is so intense, I suspect there's not a gnat's eyelash in difference between the men and women. They're as alike as peas in a pod. Besides, I thought that claiming there are differences between men and women was sexist. Which is it%u2014diversity or equality? Each denies the other. We live in a most illogical age. Thinking has become the secular 'sin unto death.' I might add that I care a rip about this squabble about...