or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Those criticizing GT should wait until more details come out. It's possible that Apple imposed 'heads we win, tales you lose" requirements on a company that desperately needed its business. A failure on Apple's part meant no penalty. A failure on GT's was to be punished brutally. The only out for GT might have been this bankruptcy. Also, keep in mind that sapphire production on this huge a scale is new. All sorts of gotchas can come up. Apple is as likely to be as much...
You meant those $6.95 clones of Apple earphones that I bought aren't the state-of-the-art in music reproduction? I am shocked, shocked!
Yet another reason why the IRS should revoke the NFL's non-profit status.
Quote: "the update gives it a consistent appearance with versions of Skype for mobile devices, such as Apple's iPhone." For pete's sake, I don't want it to look like the iPhone app. I want it to look like an OS X app. I dumped Skype several years ago when they adopted a dreadful, Windowish look. This apparently doesn't fix that. A pox on them.
We all know what's going on here. These are extremely good paying jobs and feminists want less-qualified women to get those jobs rather than men. Diversity is simply a code word for ignoring competence and setting up sex-based quotas.
I gave up on Google News long ago. Watching what ended up on top and what sources were linked made me suspicious. Something wasn't right. Then there was the "runaway bride" story out of Atlanta. I wasn't interested in the story itself, but I was interested in how Google covered it. Did Google News have enough sense to steer readers to what were likely to be the best reports, meaning those in the Atlanta press? No. Even worse than that, it tilted heavily toward stories...
I attach little value to impressing strangers at coffee shops. It pays no bills and strikes me as mere vanity. And I'll find other ways to charm pretty girls.   Laptops and software are tools. I want them to be good and effective tools. I'd be delighted to trade another 1/8-inch thickness for several more hours of battery life.   'Thin is stupid' is even more true with iPhones. There, Apple devotes an extraordinary amount of time shaving a tiny fraction of an inch off...
Thin is the new stupid%u2014or, since the fad has been around since the RAZR phone, maybe I should say, "Thin is the old stupid that won't go away." From the user's perspective, it makes no sense to make a laptop super thin. The width, length, and slipperiness of the case means we have to carry it about in a laptop bag. Once in that bag, the thickness matters not. In fact, in most cases the bag's padding will the two or three times a laptop's thickness. This designer fad...
The Russian scientist Ivan Pavlov (1849-1936) would have been delighted by this phenomena. Simply say the word "Adobe," and the anti-Creative Cloud dogs began to bark and howl. Creative Cloud isn't for under-employed guys in a basement with apps of dubious ownership. It's for professionals who earn enough in an hour or two to pay for that monthly subscription. For them, CC changes application updating for the better%u2014much, much better. * They get features as soon as...
Yes, I can hear the conversation in Apple's board rooms grow excited. "Oh my gosh! I just read this letter from the EU. Does this mean we've been saving $9 billion dollars a year in taxes? Amazing, I never realized that. I thought we were just doing this Irish thing because we like those "4,000 people we employ in Cork." That's, of course, nonsense. Apple knew precisely what it was doing. At issue is whether it needed a bit of illegal assistance from the Irish government...