or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Not surprising. Apple is the only major computer maker who refuses to engage in a pricing race to the bottom. Often, you get what you pay for. My gripe isn't with their service, which has always been excellent. It's that in the last few years they've made self-service increasingly difficult. I don't need Apple to replace a hard drive that, out of warranty, is likely to be expensive. I need Apple to apply its creative brilliance to give us Macs with the same easily...
We can only hope that Ive's promotion means that Apple as a whole will return to creating products that are useful tools for those of us who work for a living and need unpretentious but necessary features such as upgradable RAM, easy repairability, sufficient ports, and replaceable drives. I've grown tired of an Apple that seems to regard their customers as no different from H. G. Wells' Eloi, of whom Wikipedia says: "By the year AD 802,701, humanity has evolved into two...
Never forget what Bill and Hillary Clinton illustrate all too well with their corrupt foundation. For the Democratic party, fraud and corruption is a feature not a bug. There's typically a pretense of caring about those with limited incomes, but the real purpose is pay-to-play for the rich and well-connected. Those who pay, fill the pockets of Democratic politicians either directly (political contributions) or indirectly (foundation donations or inflated speaking fees)....
Quote: "Were it around at the time, Americans might have used the word to refer to the Clampett family from the Beverly Hillbillies." Not, they were simply hillbillies not used to being rich. This guy has far different problems. That said, my response is "Who cares?"
Good for some%u2014probably. But I suspect I'm one of those for whose coordination isn't up to the distinction between a light tap and applying more pressure. Of more use might be a keyboard that uses our palms for new meanings. Pressing down the right palm of a pad would trigger uppercase. Pressing down the left palm would enter a command-key mode. My feeble sense of coordination might handle that. Even better would be a small, thumb-operated keyboard on an iPhone that...
 Wireless is fine if you live in a home on a large lot. it becomes dubious in high density locale. At a university library reading room I used to write in, WiFi became absolutely unworkable in early afternoon with 200+ students in one large room. And many dense condo and apartment neighborhoods are much the same. I've been in many locales where I could seen two-dozen plus WiFis visible. Email and that may be fine. But it's disaster when you start streaming HD-TV. Were I...
Actually, the OS X v. iOS thing tilts me heavily toward that iPad. The apps are far cheaper and there seems to be a greater variety of them.   What doesn't work on iOS are complex apps like the Adobe CC ones I use. Touch just can't handle a complex UI. But those are also a no-go on a laptop. Not enough screen space.    In part, it's me. For writing, an iPad plus keyboard is as good as a laptop. For doing layout and editorial work, a desktop is a must. Between the two,...
Whatever happens, I hope this'll mean Apple gets over its obsession with thin and start making laptops that are more feature-rich and less port-poor. Every time I think of getting a MacBook Air, I end up asking myself if there's that much difference between it an my iPad with a keyboard. I draw a blank.
I'm hoping someone with make an ordinary watch with iPhone-effective buttons to mute music and podcasts, raise or lower volume, and skip forward. Vibration in place of my phone ringing would be nice too, with different buzzes for different people. That way I could use any earphone I like. In short, give us the most useful features of an Apple Watch at a fraction of the price and with a much longer battery life.
Blackberry executives were hardly the only ones who didn't understand the market that Apple would tap with the iPhone. Every other executive in the cell phone business seems to have been caught flat-footed. There's no excuse either. I spent the two years before the iPhone came out looking for something that'd do the sorts of things I needed. None did. All seemed to be focused on created new income sources for cell companies.