or Connect

Posts by Inkling

I tried it and found it still a beta product, actually causing more problems with my Mac mini than my iPad 3. I don't really need it, since I have two large displays, but hopefully all the bugs can get worked out. A MBA with an iPad display would be an ideal combination. But to do that, the performance issues need to be cleared up. It's not just the lag they create. It's the heavy burden they place on batteries.
Let's hope Apple can come up with a MacBook Air that makes upgrades exciting. Retina is a must, as is a power supply like the Dart: http://finsix.com/dart/ It's ridiculous for such a light laptop to have a chunky brick for a power supply. Also useful: 1. Keep Ethernet but offer a smaller, MagSafe-like connector. 2. More than two USB ports. It's ridiculous to have to carry another gadget just to have three. 3. Cellular data as an add-on option with data terms like...
I hope Apple continues with a 4-inch model. I like the form factor of my iPhone 5. It's also true that some people, particular teen girls and many women with smaller hands, don't really like a larger form factor.
Better speakers make sense. Two of the primary users for the iPad Pro are: 1. Graphics designer who need more workspace 2. Those making on-the-go presentations. The latter would love a better speaker system.
Apple's financial success is also almost irresistible bait for law firms with nothing to do, which is perhaps what we here. Today, there are far more lawyers around than work for lawyers to do. These stories and lawsuit are nonsense. I just picked up a used iPhone 5 with the lowest available storage, 16 GB. Even with every app that interests me installed, if still had almost 8 GB free. Courts need to get more aggressive at requiring law firms who file frivolous lawsuits...
In my work%u2014writing, editing and laying out books with InDesign%u2014I don't need these tools, but I am impressed that price is reasonable. When I first heard about them, I thought $200 would be a good price. They're selling for $175. In a world where Apple charges almost $70 for their not very useful Magic Mouse, that's a good price. Keep in mind that these are 1.0 products, while Wacom has been creating these tools since the early 1980s. Adobe does believe in...
I was going to express a wish for "cheap rip-offs" of this marvelous idea. But with prices starting at $50, it's already reasonably price given its value. Bravo for that!
Lawsuits and courts aren't going to fix this problem. Legislation is needed. We have laws requiring coffee breaks and meals. That's an analogy to these checks that, because it isn't matched in law, is pushing courts to act as they do. Absent laws to the contrary, this security check time becomes like the time employees spend walking to their car in the parking lot or commuting to work. They're not paid for that either. We need coffee-break laws limiting the time...
Alas, no one has a podcast app that does what I'm looking for. All it needs to do its: 1. Download from iTunes and play the podcasts in an iTunes playlist. Klutzing with downloads and arranging their play order on my iPhone is too clumsy. I prefer to manage them in iTunes on my Mac, playing them in the order I choose, not based on some complex set of rules. 2. Play at 1.25x. I don't know what idiot at Apple years ago thought 1.5x and 2.0x playback speed made sense, but...
Where Duet should shine is as a lightweight second screen for those traveling with laptops, particularly small-screen MacBook Airs. The downside is the demand it places on the CPU. The CPU stats on my Mac mini rarely rise above 5% even with two large displays attached. However, when I was using it and Duet with a Retina iPad 3, it was consistently running about 13%. On a desktop, that doesn't matter. On a laptop running on batteries, it's likely to mean a much shorter...