or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Do the numbers. That $100 price difference between a 5c and a 5s spread out over a typical two-year contract amounts to 100/730 = 0.1369... That's 14 cents a day. Is having a lovely and powerful 5s rather than a ho-hum 5c worth that? Beyond a doubt, particularly when you factor in the much greater power and resale value of the 5s. Even those who absolutely must have colored plastic can add a color case of their choice to a 5s. There's nothing wrong with the 5c. As this...
Sports used to teach youth to be good losers, willing to praise the winning team. Microsoft seems led by bad sports who can only mock and criticize the success of others. If Apple's success doesn't mean they're doing something right, then what are we to make of Microsoft's former successes?
I certainly hope this WSJ report proves true. It makes a retina MacBook Air next year much more likely. That's probably what it'll take to get me to part with my aging but reliable MacBook. And I wouldn't mind seeing the current iPad mini discounted, particularly in refurb. I have a full-sized iPad, so don't really need one, but a price cut would be tempting.
Quote: "Publishing in the iPad age is a proposition fraught with danger: digital publications must match the dead simple ease of use of their print counterparts, while adding enough additional value — through interactive elements or enhanced accessibility, perhaps — to justify their often slightly higher price."   Who are these people. Digital books are typically quite a bit cheaper than their print counterparts, in my case $2.99 versus $14.95. And I'd be quite happy if...
The 5c isn't competing with the 5s, because the latter is a far better deal. It's more powerful, it looks better, and it's distinctive. If you want a new iPhone, the 5s makes far better sense. Even if you want a colorful case, you can simply add one to the 5s. If Apple wants the 5c to sell well, it won't be enough to lower the price with a two-year contract. These contracts costs so much--a couple of thousand dollars--that even cutting the 5c price down to zero won't make...
I suspect there are a few experts at almost every Apple Store who'd know how to get into the file system and get rid of that iOS 7 package. I wonder if he asked?
Oyster offers a free 30-day tryout period, which is good. But a lot of people are like me. We don't sign up for them because we don't want the hassle of quitting if all doesn't go well. Also, it takes a lot more than 30 days to change reading habits. Oyster should take advantage of a recent trend among novelists. They write a series of novels, each complete it itself, and offer the first for free to draw readers into their larger tale and its characters. Oyster should...
Quote: Apple's plan to "broaden its appeal with a cheaper version of the iPhone [...] appears to be faltering after a few weeks." I wasn't aware that was Apple's plan. It was the plan that media pundits were suggesting that Apple adopt, but that's not the same thing. And given how overpriced the iPhone 5c is for what customers get, that's clearly not what Apple's executives intended with the model. Rather than the 'c' standing for 'cheap,' it stands for 'color.' And they...
Quote: "But if sales of the iPhone 5c are too low, it could be a sign that the smartphone market is largely saturated." It could also be an indication that the 5c is simply overpriced, particularly since its primary competitor is a used iPhone 5, perhaps picked up from a friend who's upgraded to a 5s. And that iPhone 5, if it has been treated well, will look much better.
Given that I'm having trouble deciding between 11" and 13", a 12" sounds great particularly with a high-res display.