or Connect

Posts by Inkling

It's not the pity that matters. It's the reality. It's a younger generation growing either without jobs because of a morbid economy (Spain & Greece) or stuck in dead-end jobs because employers find it almost impossible to weed out the lazy and talentless (France). That exists here too. I saw it when I worked for Boeing. But the scale is far greater and the roots run much deeper.   And of course this country under the Democrats are lurching down the same path. I recently...
Pity the Europeans. They'd created a vast body of laws and bureaucracies that regard the average citizen as a stupid child in need of an overbearing nanny. It's good that laws don't cover every possible gotcha. it keeps us paying attention to what we buy. The sad thing is that all too many Europeans agree. The result are societies that are increasingly adverse to risk taking and innovation. Dying businesses get subsidized. Lazy workers can't be fired. And that folly is...
undefined
Quote: "Because Creative Cloud applications require users to be online to verify their subscription, subscribers who already have the software installed may be able to work around the authentication problems by taking their computer offline before opening the applications." What idiot wrote that? You don't need to to take your computer offline. Online or offline, the apps run fine whether or not Adobe CC is there. I'm running InDesign and Photoshop right now. According to...
Given the sub-one-percent rate of return on savings, expediting refunds isn't that big a deal. What would help would be expediting repairs, particularly at third-party, Apple-authorized facilities. My Mac mini has issues that will almost certainly require a board replacement, and yet the only way to get it fixed it to bring it in, get a part replacement authorized, and then wait for Apple to sent the part. I simply can't afford to lose my primary computer for the four or...
It's easy to suspect that recycling means turning those still useful iPhone 4/4s phones into plastic and aluminum pop cans rather the keeping them in service, so Apple can sell more new phones. Don't do that. That's wasterful. Make sure they are reused for what they were intended. Sell them or give them to a friend or relative.
undefined
A modestly faster CPU is OK, but even my seven-year-old MacBook has enough moxie for what I use a laptop for. Of more interest would be a boost in the standard RAM from 4 Gig to 8 Gig. That extra $100 is far too much to pay for what's likely to soon be the necessary. Rumors are feeding high expectation for the next MBA, along with delayed purchasing. If Apple delivers a radically improved MBA, they'll have a runaway bestseller on their hands. If not, some will wait...
Will I be able to classify a purchase and enter comments about what I bought at the time of purchase? If not, my iPhone will just be a heavier, clumsier version of the credit card I already have.
 No thinner is just thinner. It's an artistic affectation. Artists think what they do is better just because they do it. It isn't. Thin matters for the blades of knives and for ballerinas. It matters not one iota in smartphones. They simply need to fit in our pockets.  Actually it's not me I meant. I just go for walks when it's not raining. I'm talking about many, many people with outdoor lifestyles stuck with a smartphone that's designed for elderly spinsters who's idea...