or Connect

Posts by Inkling

How typically Apple to gift it to someone who could easily afford to buy it. It's not even good marketing. Giving it to her suggests that otherwise she wouldn't have bought it.
undefined
Will Apple announce that it's improving the dreadful open source spell checker it uses in OS X? The lookup for misspelled words is worse that those in late 1980s DOS spell checkers. Leave one letter out or transpose two letters and it's often clueless. And its vocabulary is so pitiful, even words that regularly appear in newspaper headlines (such as exceptionalism) aren't included. It's vocabulary is that of a junior high student. I don't blame Hunspell for that. They...
Sad, yet another of Apple's two unloved and uncared for foster children is being forced into a new household. This is starting to look like child abuse. Before it was podcasts, given an app of their own to get the bugs out of the music app. Now it's audiobooks, which are being moved in with print books. I'm not sure I see the logic there. These are two different media only sharing the word "books" in common and suggesting that the combination will end up bloated and...
Is it just me, or are query-each-other-all-the-time features like these suggestive of an obsession with monitoring and control. Just because something can be done does not mean it should be done.
"Skews toward the sports model" hints at what I've been trying to tell Apple for years. The iPhone needs an outdoors-ready sports model.
Yes, the existing emoji are age-bigoted. We need a set that are hunched over with long beards and canes. Children too. We desperately need baby and little kid emoji in all colors and both sexes. Shameful that Apple forgot those groups too.
The emoji ones are more inclusive in the sense that there are now emoji to represent those who have been turned bright yellow by severe liver failure. Unfortunately, there are still no emoji for Asians.
I see little use for a touch screen that small. I do find some of the other features intriguing.Hopefully, the Taptic Engine features can be adapted to screenless and far less expensive devices we can wear on a wrist or ankle. Even better would be adapting the tactile awareness features that Apple created to deal with that too-tiny screen to the movements we make with our iPhones. It'd make it easier to use.
As a way to achieve security, this is pretty weak. A competitor wanting to spy on high-level decisions by planting a hidden mike in an executive conference room could simply pay an electrician in need of easy money. Once installed, who put it there would be hard to trace. But as someone else noted, Apple's best protection is to sweep for bugs regularly during construction. The sheer size of the place and those earthen berms around it are probably the best protection. The...