or Connect

Posts by DoctorRobert

If it's Core 2 Duo (which you can check in Apple menu>About This Mac it'll take 3GB. If it's only Core Duo (not "2"), 2GB is the max. If System Profiler tells you it has Intel GMA X3100 graphics, it can address 4.
I'm currently on a mid-2007 MacBook with two 2GB chips which I had from another computer. It recognizes 4GB but only uses 3. It runs like buttah. If you're gonna buy memory, I recommend going with the 3GB kit from OWC (www.macsales.com).
Thanks for the clarification. I'm not one to think Apple should be any "more like Dell." At all. And in no way--not in chasing the lower end of the market, not in having tons of models, not in focusing on price, and not on being about customising and "featurising" your computer infinitely at the expense of design (in the deep sense) and the experience. I do still think, though, it would be in Apple's best interest to sex up the MB and I think a new case could allow that...
That's interesting. I don't know if Apple would add slots, for example, but they do need to get serious, and the Dell does offer a nothing-to-sneeze-at 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS discrete video card option for $100, in a thinner and lighter case. Also to your Pro-to-not line blurring point, Dell offer up to a 2.6GHz Penryn on it, LED screen option, SSD drive option, and built-in cellular mobile broadband options--all on a consumer laptop up to 1 pound lighter and 1/5...
Good points. There's probably some wishful thinking on my part. This update is in line with past MB updates, and is pretty much exactly what Zach Pruckowski predicted above. However, as you say, Apple might not be going by past patterns and more frequent freshening ups could be in store. I think Apple needs and wants to move quickly this year to take advantage of the switching momentum, as well as its competitors' lags. This belief is supported, for example, by the "R&D,...
Monsieur H, the point is that there are trade-offs, and Apple make them almost flawlessly every time. With the Combo debacle, as you say, it's a matter of weighing how many people are upsold to how many are driven away (weighted by the respective margins). I doubt Apple don't know what they're doing in this regard, as they have a ton of experience with the subject--the iMac, mini and MacBook have had this distinction for years. There is little reason to think Apple are...
As I imagined could be the case, MacRumors is now suggesting this MacBook update makes little sense and there may still be a mid-year MacBook update: "The biggest question is why Apple bothered speed bumping the MacBooks which were not yet due for revision. According to our sources, Apple was forced by Intel into upgrading the MacBooks at this time. Intel is aggressively phasing out the older generation 65nm Merom chips over the coming months. As a result, Apple needed...
I wouldn't advise you to wait for a speculative update if you need a computer, but personally I will pay attention to whispers in rumour sites, as I'll be buying around then and find the multi-touch will end up being valuable to me. Do keep in mind however that many people end up waiting for unsubstantiated updates and suffer plenty of frustration. A good resource is http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ and both MacRumors and AppleInsider are excellent, prudent in their...
...Huh?
- The case could use a redesign: the hard drive should be replaceable without voiding your warranty, the keyboard is much better on the MacBook (I've owned both), it could use an aesthetic refresh, it heats up way too much, it's too big, heavy, clunky, and fragile (it's better than most competitors, but it could be considerably trimmed and that would be very valuable) - That's absolutely right about the Combo drive - The $2,499 one could be worth it to intensive graphics...