or Connect

Posts by Maury Markowitz

http://bit.ly/1xGqGdm
1) You're comparing LCoE to $/W. Duh. 2) My division of CAPEX by nameplate rating is precisely how the entire industry values installs. It's called "price per watt", and it's used by every power source to get a rough estimate of total CAPEX in comparison to other installs. For instance, if one installer quotes you $275MM for a 250MW plant, and another quotes $250MM for 235, which is better? 1.1 vs. 1.06... the second one is the better deal. 1&2) You can multiply $/W by...
Which, if you care to look in THE VERY DOCUMENT I QUOTED, lists O&M costs on solar at about 0.25 cents/kWp/year, which means that the total management costs are a few million dollars in total. It remains a terrible deal.
It's still a terrible deal no matter what the terms all. Here is how to examine any buildout. First you need the dollar amount: The $848 million solar power deal Then you need the array size: First Solar is constructing a 280-megawatt solar farm Then you divide the dollars by the size: 848 / 280 ~= $3/Watt Then you compare that number with the going rate for commercial systems, as found on page 11 of this...
My only complaint is the lack of transparency. Times don't really bother me. You can regain control of the precise date of release by using manual release and pushing forward to the next point. For instance, if you (like me) want your releases to go out on Saturday, build in a one-week extra delay so if Apple releases on Monday just wait. That might sound annoying, and it is, but it's not killer by any means. And if that's the price of keeping malware out of the store, I...
"It's a good thing but when you are one of the guys whose life is being disrupted then you are not necessarily looking forward to the event." Don't you wish you heard this from every CEO? You know, truth and the acceptance that this is both scary yet exciting and good for everyone.
Nope. The data you posed was clearly labeled 2008. In the period between 2008 and today, the price of nuclear plants doubled, the price of wind fell 3 times, solar fell 7 times and gas plants fell 2 times. Here's the numbers taken in 2014 predicting 2015: http://www.lazard.com/PDF/Levelized%20Cost%20of%20Energy%20-%20Version%208.0.pdf Turn to page 2. Wind, gas and solar are all significantly less expensive than nuclear. They also take about 1/5th the time to build, which...
The very first thing you should do, assuming you can find the numbers, is divide the dollar figure by the rating in watts. In this case, it's 850 million divided by 130 million. That's $6.54 per Watt. Which is horrible. That's about what I paid to put 12 panels on my garage roof in 2009. Prices have dropped by 2/3rds since then. A large solar farm goes in today at about $1.50 per Watt. See this...
Hogwash. A computer can safely accelerate more rapidly than a human, which is precisely why they have traction control in modern cars. And in the case of humans, it is precisely the aggression that causes the bottlenecks, as they hit the breaks causing the shock wave up the line. In every other way, lag is way, way better with a computer. Which is why they can ride the other guy's bumper 2 cm back.