or Connect

Posts by Maury Markowitz

After installing iOS7 one of my friends went from "his name" to "home". Now I know why- apparently my Contacts thinks his nickname is "home". I turned that off%u2026
Ha ha! Ho!Wow, thanks for that, I needed a good laugh.Now go look up "Shockley quessier limit". Be aware, I wrote the article you'll end up reading.
I'm sure you are perfectly capable of doing basic math, so why didn't you even try?Look about the room about you. Count the number of lights. Each one is putting out about 1.5 to 2 watts worth of light (the best commercial light sources are 13W LEDs which are 10 to 15% efficient). Now add up all the surface area of the room, walls, floor, ceiling. Divide the area of an iPhone by that number. Multiply that by amount of light in the room.If the number is larger that 1/1000...
Under perfect conditions, 1 kW of sunlight hits the surface at high noon. Perfect conditions means that the collecting surface is pointed directly at the sun (perpendicular to it). At any other orientation, you reduce the amount by the cosine of the subtended angle. Due to the apparent movement of the sun over the course of a day, the "perfect conditions" only last for a short period of time. What one does is calculate the location of the sun for every second of a day,...
There's no way this can work, any more than any previous attempt has worked. The problem is that the devices are modal, and do not broadcast their mode. So, for instance, if I walk up to my receiver and press the "DVD" button, there is no way for the remote to know this. It still thinks it is in "TV" mode, so if I press the DVD button on the remote, it flips 3 times and now it's set to VCR. This applies only to certain devices and certain models. Other devices allow...
  And therein, IMHO, was the deadly problem with Bento. It couldn't talk to any of those databases you're referring to.   Bento could have worked if it had useful ODBC support and full AppleScript then it would have been a useful tool. But, lacking these two elements, it was essentially useless.   Manage Address Book and Calendar? What's the market for that? Honestly, what were the developers thinking?
"For that reason, they aligned with Apple to switch to the "agency" pricing model, which let them set their own prices %u2014 a move that brought on antitrust scrutiny from the U.S. government." NO NO NO NO NO! That is NOT what "brought on antitrust scrutiny". What "brought on antitrust scrutiny" was that Apple ALSO got the companies to agree to *raise* prices on Amazon. Price fixing is illegal, and when multiple parties agree to do something illegal that's a...
Great, so now we have iWork on the web... and still no Maps!
Which means we still need a stand alone Maps on the Web. Geez, they ported Pages to HTLM5, but not Maps?!
So the thing that makes iMessage so great is that it is entirely invisible and requires no user input. If both ends have an iDevice and a data connection, iMessage just happens. That's how this should work as well. An option to turn this off is required, of course, but under normal circumstances it should "just happen".