or Connect

Posts by Maury Markowitz

The more you tighten your grip, Balmer, the more systems will slip through your fingers
Is there a description of exactly what "eyes free" is? I can already play a song or make a call without looking at the phone. Is this anything more than integration with a button?
"Yes, yellow leather and 18 gauge thread (that's 120 for Europeans) wasn't the best idea." To be honest, this doesn't bother me so much. What does bother me is that they spent time doing this, rather than adding features or fixing bugs. Consider iOS's Podcasts app. Nice reel-to-reel UI, which I'm sure took someone a long time to develop. Sadly, they didn't spend that same amount of time making the app actually work. For instance, it periodically resets and claims that...
  New features? You're joking, right?   Or perhaps you are confusing new customers with existing ones?   You complained about churn, but unless that churn is *to* the iPhone then Google doesn't care. Right now, it seems like most of that churn is to Samsung, and I'm sure they like that just fine.
  Oh, absolutely... but I'm not concerned about Apple's sales, I'm concerned about the health of the Apple market. These two go hand in hand, don't get me wrong, but they're *not* the same.   But there's a fundamental difference between computers and, say, stereos. For stereos, you can sell dramatically overpriced gear as long as someone buys it and you keep your margins. That's because (generally) anyone can plug any bit of stereo into any other bit of stereo. So buying...
Margins? Who cares? Apple has what, 129 billion in the bank?   *If* the odd price of the mini *was* based on margin, then Apple is playing a losers game. They are probably the only company that *can* afford to buy share, and they aren't.   I fear a loss of developer mindshare if they continue with the high-right policy, and the in-house everything. I've been around long enough to see the obvious parallels with the Apple of the 1990s, post Steve-1.0.
Yeah great, just what the world needs, ANOTHER proprietary POI database.   OpenStreetMaps has all of this stuff already. I'd be much happier if Apple just used them.
  Every single one. None have been fixed. All of Ontario is broken. Not a little broken. BROKEN.
At least you can see it. Apple's solution is almost invisible, and doesn't work at all for the multi-lane hiways. Zoom in on Google and you can see different colors for individual parts of the hiway.   The good news is that there are apps that overlay Google data on Apple's vectors. That works fine.
  LOLZ.   I live in Ajax Ontario. My parents have a cottage outside Algonquin Park. During the drive we sometimes stop in Bowmanville, Peterborough, Young's Point, Bancroft, Maynooth and Whitney.   Of these cities and towns, Maps displays Bowmanville as Clarington, doesn't know Young's Point or Maynooth (but, amusingly, does know POI's in them), and completely ignores Whitney and doesn't even display the streets there when you zoom in. Bancroft is placed in the middle of...