or Connect

Posts by Maury Markowitz

The question is whether or not Apple can suck so much profit out of these segments that no one can be bothered to produce them. Something similar is happening in the LCD TV market as we speak. It would normally be a "race to the bottom", but I don't think this particular instance of one company racing up (their margins were up this quarter) while everyone else sinks is very common.
This is *obviously* an ancient patent they're just putting in now in order to enlarge their quiver. Seriously, "video tape player"?? There is no effective way to do discovery. All methods have obvious and very real failure modes.
"we’ve uncovered statements from executives at several publishers that demonstrate they viewed Amazon as a significant threat to the long-term survival of their profitability" And they choose not to use this service? Sure. And you sue them for it? Ummm… So what's next, I get sued for not buying a Porsche?
So here's my question, pondering point, or whatever… Does anyone here think that the average Android user has any brand loyalty? My thoughts are basically that any platform has some level of lock-in. However, when you lock-in with Apple you need to buy another iPhone. When you lock in with Android, you only lock-in the OS, not the vendor. That is, Apple can count on a high percentage of their iPhone customers buying another iPhone. Samsung cannot. Since they're...
… is pretty short: 1) iOS notifications in OSX. Growl is fine, but we need the *same* system in both OSes and all apps. 2) FaceTime and iMessages integrated into iChat. FT should already be there, why they made a separate app is a mystery to me. (do I want SMS in iChat? I can't decide) 3) a voice-over-ip system in both OSes. Basically just FaceTime with the camera turned off. Combine this with the optional ability to call non-VOIP lines through a 3rd party VOIP...
Two things: 1) does anyone really believe in a Windows resurgence any more? Or are they, as I suspect, completely irrelevant? 2) even if this happens, would Apple care? If they take 50% of the market's profit, who cares about numbers?
+1 Seriously, I don't understand why people would want an "all in one" chat client that does text and video (let alone MS's idiotic writing!). I don't text while I'm video chatting, and I don't video chat while I'm texting. Why would you? I want two apps, small ones that do one thing well. Of course there is the need for a third app, also small and doing one thing well: VOIP. Like iMessage, dialling another iPhone owner should be able to use GSM/Wi-FI instead of my minutes.
So I should buy an entirely new television to get *voice recognition*?! You're joking, right?
So, here's a question… why would I possibly want this? I consider my TV to be nothing other than a large monitor. I get inputs from a cable box, PS3 and an Apple TV. I can add new inputs, or remove old ones. So why would I want to buy a new TV when all the inputs are the same? I seriously doubt Apple can make a display that's "better enough" to make me replace my existing one. For that matter, what it is the Apple TV doesn't have now? Live channels, and *all*...
me: "television, find…" my kid yelling: "gogglenAdfnd!" This will never work.