or Connect

Posts by Maury Markowitz

This is a solution for POI entries, but not for outright wrongness.   Again, Apple is taking the wrong data from the wrong place. They need to take the right data from the right place.   They don't need to *fix* the data, so reporting a "problem" like "city in the wrong place" isn't the solution.   Whatever the solution is, it will be someone at Apple pressing a button to do another database convert.
Add to your list:   Why are parks and forests so important to Maps? On every scale, the only objects that are clearly defined are greenspaces. They graphically overwhelm everything else, even airports.
  Exactly.   Everyone reading this - next time you have a Maps fail, type the *exact* same thing into OSM. I am very curious what happens.
  I don't think it will get better because of the data.   I think it will get better because *the data is already very good*.   The problem is that Apple is reading and displaying that data incorrectly.   Here is a simple test: look up "bancroft ontario" in Maps and on the OpenStreetMaps web page. Note that Maps is off by miles, while OSM is perfect. That implies that Apple is simply reading the wrong data, or displaying it incorrectly.     I've been testing this a *lot*...
I tried the first one. I puts the pointer about a kilometer away. OpenStreetMap and Google nails it right on. Bing maps you can't tell, there's no imagery.   Maps << everyone else. And as I noted earlier, this has been true for every search I've done. Sometimes only a little off, sometimes complete fail.
One? Sure. EVERY one? No.   Maps hasn't succeeded in a single query I've thrown at it. Either it can't find it, sends me across the world, or puts the marker in the wrong place.   The exact same queries in OpenStreetMaps worked 100% of the time. They are supposed to be the same data, so this is a pretty serious screwup.
  This is not simply a case of missing features or data. Maps is *broken*.   When I try any old random address in OpenStreetMap, it finds it fine and has a proper map. The majority of those same searches fail in Maps. Maps is supposed to be based on OSM, but it seems they have seriously screwed it up.   Here;s a simple case. Look for Bowmanville Ontario. In OSM you get Bowmanville. In Maps you get Clarington.   Look for Cobalt Ontario. In OSM you don't really get...
  Yeah, I'm noticing this myself.   I laughed out loud when I noticed that Bancroft Ontario was placed in the middle of a field. However, OSM has no problem locating it properly.   The town of Whitney Ontario cannot be found and does not appear in Maps if you manually scroll to the location. It's right there in OSM.   My own house cannot be found in Maps when I look for "18 odell ajax". OSM finds it just fine. Adding the ' allows Maps to find it, but it places the marker...
"According to in-court reports from All Things D, Sherman's testimony took shots at Apple's design patents, which he says are functional rather than ornamental. The patent expert also argued a number of alleged prior art claims, including a Japanese design patent from 2005 that bears passing resemblance to the iPhone with its rounded corners, rectangular shape and "lozenge-shaped" speaker."   I think this is worth talking about:   There are two types of patents...