or Connect

Posts by shamino

The mention of elevation data got me thinking. Can the GPS chip in an iPhone return 3-space data (that is, altitude) or is it only capable of returning ground-based coordinates? Simple math shows that it requires a minimum of three satellite fixes (and I think good GPS chips usually try to use four or more, in the name of error correction) to uniquely identify a single ground-based coordinate (three intersecting circles.) It requires a minimum of four satellites...
 No.  Companies don't do business with these nations because it is prohibited by Federal law.  The ITAR regulations prohibit the sale of (among other things) devices that include strong cryptography.  Apple couldn't sell to these nations without making a stripped-down device lacking all of the prohibited hardware and software, which would probably cost more than it's worth. But plenty of companies do make stripped-down tech products for sale to these countries.  For...
 I was in Beijing a few months ago.  Google still redirects to the Hong Kong site.  And the site is censored.  I don't know about any warning message.  But this is no secret - everybody there knows that it is censored.  And what's the alternative?  Violate the law and risk getting kicked out of the country altogether? You and I might be willing to risk this, but no corporation wants to risk that level of punishment in order to make a political statement.  There are...
Yes. And also note that it has been nearly 10 years since the date Apple allegedly began infringing on this patent. Why no legal action until now? Surely, the "inventor" knew of iPods before this year.It is typical for patent trolls to do nothing for years, waiting for the amount of alleged infringement to grow as much as possible, and then sue just before the patent expires (it's been about 15 years since the original patent's filing - anyone know how many years it is...
The service works great, but it unfortunately interferes with Game Center achievements if you are trying to share a session between iOS and Android.   For example, if I complete a world on Android, and the play on iOS, it shows the world completed, but the achievement (which does not exist on the Android version) does not appear in Game Center.  In order to get the achievement, I need to logout from my Rovio account (which reverts your progress to only that which was...
The presence of a chip doesn't mean it's "authentication". It may be a tranceiver, much like the chips in Thunderbolt cables. It might also be doing protocol conversion, to allow lots of different features to share the same 8 pins on the phone side of the cable. I agree that this chip is (at least initially) going to make the cables expensive, but unless the author has tracked down the chip's model number and identified it as authentication chip (which isn't mentioned...
Is that actually what they're claiming?  That Intel and Qualcomm's licenses don't cover system integrators that buy the Intel/Qualcomm chips?   If they're trying to make that point in court, they may find themselves countersued by Intel and Qualcomm.  Surely, they wouldn't sign a licensing contract that prohibits them from selling their chips to third parties, and if they were conned or coerced into signing such a contract, they're going to fight hard against any attempt...
What I don't understand here is (just like in the Nokia settlement) how Apple should have any responsibility whatsoever.   Apple did not develop their own LTE chipset, nor have they developed any of the associated tech.  They buy LTE chips, amplifiers, transmitters, etc. from other companies.  If those companies have license to manufacture and sell the parts, why should Apple have to buy a license to assemble them into a product?  If there are any royalties to be...
Such products already exist.  A Google search found the Mi-Zone Bluetooth Proximity Alarm. This is a BlueTooth key fob that you pair with your device.  If the two get separated by more than a configured amount, both sound an alarm.  (So it can protect your keyring as well as your phone.)   This is probably more useful than a cable-based solution for when you're using your device in a public place.
  I realize this was probably intended to be humorous, but just in case it was a serious comment, I respectfully disagree.  The world demands convenience.  The world demands things that are simple and not confusing.  If that goal is best achieved by an industry-wide standard, great.  If it's best achieved through other means, that's fine too.   It's been my experience that openness is usually only demanded by those who need/want access to the proprietary technology - like...