or Connect

Posts by shamino

How is this going to make you any extra money?  If the app only does what your web site is already doing, how have you earned anything with it?  All those so-called customers would've gone to your web site if they didn't have the app.  If you spend a million dollars to develop an app that doesn't actually earn anything, then it's an expense, not a profit.  A billion downloads that don't pay anything is still an expense. And no, people do pay for things other than games,...
 But if all those potential Android users don't actually pay for your app, have you really gained anything?  Again, the money is what's important, not the number (or potential number) of downloads.
 Well, the handset manufacturers are having problems (although I'm sure they have sources of revenue beyond handset sales - like carrier subsidies for contract sales, and other similar things.)  Google, on the other hand, is getting its license fees whether or not the handsets are profitable. Yes, some really cheap models sell with open source builds of Android, but those phones are barely Android, since they're missing all of the good stuff that customers want in their...
 Yes, iFixit's initial teardown, from April 23rd says "There's got to be an easier way to access the door than disassembling the whole watch".  Apparently, nobody there thought to stick a needle in the cover's hole and just pop it off: 
I like the concept of the Twist Plus, but unfortunately, it does not have any grounded plugs.  Apple's power bricks support grounded cables (the metal post that the adapter clicks on is a ground post), but this adapter doesn't connect it.   When I travel outside of the US, I normally use a universal grounded adapter like this one, or this one.  Or if I think I'm going to need to plug in several devices, I use a universal power strip like this one.  Most of the time, if...
 I just did.  Looks interesting, but their micro-antenna is 13.4mm square.  That's very small, but may not be small enough to comfortably embed in a band, and definitely too small to put in the watch itself (unless the watch case can be used as an antenna.)
 I suppose it could, but there are some significant technical issues. GPS requires a radio receiver and an antenna.  The radio may drain a watch's battery too fast for it to be useful.  I don't know what the requirements are for antennae, but it may be hard to fit one into the Watch or make it flexible enough to fit around a band.  On an iPhone, the metal case is an active part of the various antennae, but the Watch is much smaller. Additionally, a GPS receiver that is not...
I wish they'd update the iPod Classic software so it doesn't crash when playing USB audio into a car stereo (reproduced on several different recent-model cars with factory-bundled iPod integration).  And no, the iPod itself isn't failing - it plays just fine for hours if I use the headphone jack instead of USB for audio.   But that's not likely to ever happen, even though I've reported that bug several times over the past 4 years.
I like the concept, but I think the billing model will have to be more thought out.  It is morally wrong for the recipient to pay for songs they already own, but equally wrong for them to download free copies of what they don't own.   IMO, the billing should go something like this: If the recipient is an Apple Music subscriber and all the tracks are available for streaming, then they should be able to accept it for free.  The songs will play via Apple Music for as...
 The decision to use a B connector, makes perfect sense to me.  The piano is a peripheral, not a host.  The iPad is the USB host.  As such, the piano should use a B connector and the host device should use an A connector (if it wasn't using Lightening, of course.)  It's not like when you attach your iPad to a computer - in that case, the computer is the host and the iPad is the peripheral.  Agreed.  A self-teaching device like this is much like trying to self-teach using a...