or Connect

Posts by shamino

I've been hearing this rumor for years.  Do you have an actual source for this claim or are you simply assuming that the rumor is true? Apple has been doing what you describe for downloaded apps for several years now.  Gatekeeper's default configuration is to allow App Store purchases and applications signed with a valid Developer Certificate.  Unsigned apps (and those with invalid certificates) make you jump through a few small hoops (including providing an admin...
 Not so much nullified, but it limits the damage that can be done. If you accidentally run malware (e.g. via a browser exploit) from an unprivileged account, it can still upload any file you can read, it can still open network connections to botnets, and it can still trash/infect any file you have write-access to (typically the contents of your home directory.)  What it can not do is install itself as a system service, trash/infect system files or remain running after you...
 I think you need to re-read my post.  I think you may be replying to someone else, because your comments don't seem to be related to my message.  Nowhere did I claim that root is the same as administrator.  Nor did I say that they enabled root access via an exploit.  I wrote just what the original article said - that they claim to be able to run code as root via "sudo" without providing a password, which is a serious problem, if true. Apple's administrator level account...
 I think you have them backwards.  The last 4 digits of the DAN are visible in Passbook, and I see them printed on my receipts in the same location where my card number used to be printed.  That is the number that the merchants think is a card number, and since it is tied to the device, not the transaction, it can be used to track your purchases. Nobody has yet said what the token looks like.  Given the fact that it is a cryptographic digest of many aspects of the...
 You can always use "sudo" to switch to root.  I frequently do a "sudo tcsh" to get to a root shell. What everyone means by disabled is that there is no password configured for the account.  So if you try to "su -", it won't work, because there is no password you can type to make the switch work.  And if you try to log-in as root, that also won't work. If you enable the root account, then you will give it a password and you will be able to log-in to a desktop as root and...
 Yes, but those contracts were signed when the CurrentC was first started - back in 2012.  If the contract started the exclusivity from that time, and not from when the product goes live (which still hasn't happened yet), then those early adopters might be free in early 2015.  Why not?  You can sign any kind of contract you like.  I think it's stupid to handcuff yourself based on the promise of something yet to be developed, but not everybody agrees with me.  As I...
 Actually, it is clear.  The article says that it works via the "sudo" command, somehow bypassing its need to ask for your password.  So, no root does not have to be active.  Even admins shouldn't actually log in from an admin account.  Any GUI activity that requires admin privileges will pop up a dialog asking for an admin user ID and password - so you can just authenticate when you need it and remain unprivileged at other times.  Where did you get that impression?  If...
 Nope.  If you're a Verizon customer, you can just log on to the "My Verizon" web site (or call customer service at *611) and change your data plan. FWIW, Verizon lets you change the size of your data plan all you want without affecting your contract.  You can increase it or decrease it as your usage dictates.  As long as you don't actually disconnect any of the lines, there are no "early termination" fees or other surcharges. I recently re-upped my VZW contract when the...
 Not necessary is different from not wanted.  You can run every app available today in 1G, because developers aren't going to release something that requires more RAM than any customers have.  But "necessary" is a pointless benchmark, because those same developers would certainly take advantage of more RAM if it was available.  My guess is that they don't think it's likely to be needed. With a phone, you can expect people to have it with them at all times, so it's not a...
 Or in taking existing tech and making it convenient enough that people want to spend money to use it. The iPod is the perfect example.  People were ripping and trading MP3s for a while, and there were already some portable MP3 players.  Apple's big innovation was the scroll-wheel (which later became the touch-wheel and then click-wheel) and tight integration with iTunes (which was previously only used for rip-mix-burn and playing music from your computer.)  Those two...