or Connect

Posts by Wiggin

Or, this is the Chinese government's way of saying if you are going to rip off American intellectual property don't be so stupid about it that you get caught selling it in the US.
 The genius is the part where Apple gets that many more people going around wearing beats headphones creating that much more brand awareness and making them the "must have" product for trend followers. The bad part... isn't whether they are good or bad. I don't know/don't care. (I wouldn't pay $200 for them, personally.)  If you have no need or no interest in owning this kind of headphones, the offer is of little value to you. Even if they are truly worth $200, they are...
 I've noticed that you've mentioned "large" schools. Not sure what your definition of large is. But on that point I might agree. I disagree wholly on elimination of schools. I think the notion that there's not an important social aspect to education is absurd. Not to mention, how are you going to teach other classes like shop, home ec, art (ie, sculpture)? What about doing experiments in science class? Music? Does every home need to have a fully equipped workshop, kitchen,...
 In the old days both parents didn't work. As soon as you convince parents that one of them has to be a stay at home mom/dad and come up with a solution for single parents we can discuss your suggestion. It's unfortunate, but school today is partly about baby sitting while mom and dad both work. And as others have said, education is far more than just the "classic" learning (math, grammer, etc). Emotional, social, and physical education simply aren't going to be learned by...
 The live out-of-market preseason games may be a trial on their part to see how their infrastructure holds up. They also stand to lose less advertising revenue on a preseason game from people watching and out-of-market game vs the local broadcast than they would on a regular season game. As for the point of it if there are no live, regular season games...as others have pointed out if you live outside the local market for your favorite team it might be of interest. Just...
 Yes, just like American voters who all do their due diligence before casting their votes. I see it all the time here in the US, workers voting to reduce their own pensions in altruistic displays of sacrifice for the greater good. /s
 Yes, but let's add a bit of practical analysis to this statement. If you are a small developer with thousands, or even 10s of thousands of customers (ie, a startup), those marketing and transaction processing costs on a per customer basis are going to be high. Acquiring new customers is typically much more expensive than maintaining an existing customer. In those cases Apple's 30% cut is justified, and probably a very good bargain for the developer. But if you have...
 Rating user satisfaction is, at best, nebulous. There is no standard or benchmark to measure against, and it's nearly impossible to know each individual respondent's requirements for being "satisfied." As other's have pointed out, if someone is still using a 4, there's probably a reason for it. Another consideration not taken into account is which OS the phone is running. In all honesty, I was more satisfied with my 4S than I am with my 5S. The 5S has, for the most part,...
Agreed it should never happen, but I question the article's statement that your Photos library is destroyed. The library or the database within the library? No matter how malformed the DNG file is (and it's apparently not so mangled that other apps can't work with it without issue), the Photos app should never let that affect any data outside of the data related to that specific file.   As Kevinneal says, your photos aren't in a database. They are in a normal, Finder...
 Ah yes, the "good enough" syndrome. It's very valid. And the more and more these technologies are aimed at lower-tier consumers (I don't mean that as derogatory), the less and less drive there is by the manufacturers to deliver the features higher-end users are looking for. Compressed music, crappy cable/satellite TV picture quality, the very UI of the Mac OS. These are all valid business decisions, to target that level of less demanding users, but that doesn't mean that...