or Connect

Posts by Wiggin

Then you really didn't use much of Aperture's capabilities and it's no wonder you went back to iPhoto. This isn't an insult. Just a statement that Aperture was overkill for your needs, in which case sticking with iPhoto was probably the right choice. But for those of use who use more of Aperture's capabilities, it's clear that this does not do all the things Aperture did.
 Yes, to the much better than iPhoto. Completely agree. No, to them adding all the features of Aperture. It's simply not going to happen. Dare I say, it can't. One of Aperture's strengths for advanced users is it's organizational structure and workflow. Even if Photos gets all of Aperture's editing capabilities (which I find doubtful), I don't see how they can make its organizational structure as flexible as Aperture and still be drop-dead simple for novices. This is...
Are providers paying more out of choice or is it blackmail by the ISPs? As for the consumer, if you are willing to pay more you can use more electricity. Is there a difference? Same for the providers. Use more pay more.The last point would only make "affordable" Internet impossible. The minimum price would go up astronomically.
 I was thinking a little along the same lines. Apple has a lot of great ideas and great tech, but it doesn't always seem quite as polished as it used to be, missing those nips and tucks that make it "just work." Perhaps these hires are to help bring some of that perspective back that was lost with Steve.
 May depend on what iPhone as some older models did have different antennas and, I believe, different chips depending on what carrier it was for. But for the most recent models the hardware is more similar. Not sure about the firmware...if that varies between carriers. And as others have pointed out, it's not just a matter of the original carrier unlocking the phone in the case of CDMA, which I believe is still used for voice on Verizon LTE phones. The new carrier has to...
 I agree with you, but was trying to not let semantics get in the way. Yes, the lenses weren't "designed for"; but I'd also suggest that lens are designed with higher pixel counts in mind. Surely Canon has a product development roadmap for their camera bodies that informs their lens designers of what future sensor resolutions are coming and that then contributes to the design goals for the lens. "Designed for" and "designed with it in mind" is splitting hairs as far as I'm...
 It may be true that there aren't lenses which are specifically "designed for" high-megapixel sensors, but newer lenses may be more suitable for them. The 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II is a good example. It's noticeably sharper than the mark I version of that lens so it will better be able to make use of all those tiny pixels. (I assume the lens you mentioned below was the mark II?)  Frame rate and buffer are some of the aspects that make them better suited for sports and...
 I don't think the 5D-series will ever have sports and wildlife as a primary use case. Leave that to the 1Dx and 7D cameras.  Speaking of the 7D, I haven't looked up the exact specs or done the math, but wouldn't a full-frame 50 MP sensor have about the same pixel size as 7D? It will be interesting to read the reviews and see how well all those extra pixels hold up.
 This is actually a good point, but it cuts both ways...I'm starting to dislike having my applications so closely tied to OS updates. Yes, it's free. But you are also at the mercy of Apple's whims if you want to update your OS (which you'll eventually be forced to when you buy a new computer if not before). You'll be forced to accept a new version if Photos, too, for better or worse. Perhaps it will be more like iTunes in that you have a little wiggle-room to have a...
 Yep. We need one of the media preview folks and/or beta testers (once they get it) to crack open the sidebar and see what the options are. They spend a lot of time talking about the new books and calendar printing options, but only MacWorld has mentioned that their is a hidden sidebar (like Apple hid it in iTunes). And MW didn't talk about it or show it in their screen shots. Hopefully over the next few days they'll get in and do more than kick the tires. And hopefully...