or Connect

Posts by Wiggin

Rating user satisfaction is, at best, nebulous. There is no standard or benchmark to measure against, and it's nearly impossible to know each individual respondent's requirements for being "satisfied." As other's have pointed out, if someone is still using a 4, there's probably a reason for it. Another consideration not taken into account is which OS the phone is running. In all honesty, I was more satisfied with my 4S than I am with my 5S. The 5S has, for the most part,...
Agreed it should never happen, but I question the article's statement that your Photos library is destroyed. The library or the database within the library? No matter how malformed the DNG file is (and it's apparently not so mangled that other apps can't work with it without issue), the Photos app should never let that affect any data outside of the data related to that specific file.   As Kevinneal says, your photos aren't in a database. They are in a normal, Finder...
 Ah yes, the "good enough" syndrome. It's very valid. And the more and more these technologies are aimed at lower-tier consumers (I don't mean that as derogatory), the less and less drive there is by the manufacturers to deliver the features higher-end users are looking for. Compressed music, crappy cable/satellite TV picture quality, the very UI of the Mac OS. These are all valid business decisions, to target that level of less demanding users, but that doesn't mean that...
 I agree with you that Photos is a fine replacement for iPhoto. There are some things missing, but hopefully they will make their way back in. Places/geotagging perhaps being the biggest head-scratcher. Come on Apple, you should be better than that. However, calling the discontinuation of Aperture "a standalone event not related to the release of Photos"? Huh? Where have you been? The announcements of Photos and discontinuation of Aperture have been lock-step, hand-in-hand...
Regardless of whether or not I like Yosemite's UI or the new Photos app or whatever, the fact its that Yosemite has been out for less than a year; and historically speaking we could typically rely on Apple to provide at least security updates for the previous two versions of the OS. Here they aren't even providing it for Mavericks which less than 9 months ago was the newest Mac OS, and from the sounds of it this is fairly big security hole.   The fact that Yosemite is...
   The hardware to support 4k would certainly have some incremental cost over supporting 1080p. It's not just the decoder chip that would need upgrading. You'd likely want more flash to buffer the stream, RAM for processing, output hardware, etc. It probably would be a small increase, but look at how stingy Apple has been historically wtih things like iPad RAM. Apple seldom over provisions their hardware. They'd rather you come back in 2 years and buy new hardware from...
 As I stated above, I certainly hope the USB-C spec is more robust than that. If a computer has multiple identical looking ports but only one of them allows for charging I'd consider that a serious failure of the specification. And would plugging in multiple chargers really be all that different than using an 85W MagSafe adaptor in place of a 45W adaptor to charge a MBA or using an iPad adaptor to charge an iPod touch? It's not like the adaptors are focing current into the...
 I understand your point, but keep in mind that this is the same company and hardware team that applied the less-is-more concept and come out with the buttonless iPod shuffle. They do sometimes take minimalist design too far.   If you remember to first plug in the appropriate adaptor/hub ahead of time. The MB has a long battery life, but there are going to be times when you plug in an external drive (which may be bus powered and draining the battery even faster) and start...
No matter how disruptive the technology, it still takes time to mature and roll out. All the while the "old" technology continues to work fine. (It's only been relatively recently that digital music download sales finally surpassed CD sales.) None of the existing options, including Apple's hypothesized option, would replace TiVo for my uses anytime in the next couple of years. I think my investment is safe. It will be interesting to see how Apple handles things that a DVR...
   Keeping my exact same channel lineup, the cost savings of not having to rent the DVR from Comcast meant it would take me a little over three years to recoup the cost of TiVO + lifetime service + 3 year extended warranty. So that "3 years to recoup" is true, but that part about it not including cable channels is not true. If I went strictly OTA thet TiVo would pay for itself in less than a year. I also purchased my own cable modem and stopped renting that from Comcast....