or Connect

Posts by Wiggin

Of course the CIA explores ways to crack into the iPhone. That's their job! It would be irrepsonsible of them not to. If it was learned that a terrorist used a certain technology to carry out an attack and that the CIA never bothered explore ways to compromise that technology before the attack, everyone would be up in arms about how inept the CIA was. Look how much flak the intelligence community gets for not identifying and stopping the 9/11 attack. Seems they are damed...
 Not really. They sent the email to Aperture users. Not all Aperture users are pros. And not all Aperture users are aware of the pending discontinuation of Aperture. I dislike it's discontinuation, too; but I will give Apple credit for communicating the upcoming change so their customers are aware of it. That's something they are normally quite bad at. Usually you find out the bad after the product is released and you (or other early adopter guinea pigs) have installed it...
 I just installed 3.5.1 on a Mavericks machine a couple of weeks ago, so unless something has changed since them I'm not sure what you read is true.
 Then you really didn't use much of Aperture's capabilities and it's no wonder you went back to iPhoto. This isn't an insult. Just a statement that Aperture was overkill for your needs, in which case sticking with iPhoto was probably the right choice. But for those of use who use more of Aperture's capabilities, it's clear that this does not do all the things Aperture did.
 Yes, to the much better than iPhoto. Completely agree. No, to them adding all the features of Aperture. It's simply not going to happen. Dare I say, it can't. One of Aperture's strengths for advanced users is it's organizational structure and workflow. Even if Photos gets all of Aperture's editing capabilities (which I find doubtful), I don't see how they can make its organizational structure as flexible as Aperture and still be drop-dead simple for novices. This is...
Are providers paying more out of choice or is it blackmail by the ISPs? As for the consumer, if you are willing to pay more you can use more electricity. Is there a difference? Same for the providers. Use more pay more.The last point would only make "affordable" Internet impossible. The minimum price would go up astronomically.
 I was thinking a little along the same lines. Apple has a lot of great ideas and great tech, but it doesn't always seem quite as polished as it used to be, missing those nips and tucks that make it "just work." Perhaps these hires are to help bring some of that perspective back that was lost with Steve.
 May depend on what iPhone as some older models did have different antennas and, I believe, different chips depending on what carrier it was for. But for the most recent models the hardware is more similar. Not sure about the firmware...if that varies between carriers. And as others have pointed out, it's not just a matter of the original carrier unlocking the phone in the case of CDMA, which I believe is still used for voice on Verizon LTE phones. The new carrier has to...
 I agree with you, but was trying to not let semantics get in the way. Yes, the lenses weren't "designed for"; but I'd also suggest that lens are designed with higher pixel counts in mind. Surely Canon has a product development roadmap for their camera bodies that informs their lens designers of what future sensor resolutions are coming and that then contributes to the design goals for the lens. "Designed for" and "designed with it in mind" is splitting hairs as far as I'm...
 It may be true that there aren't lenses which are specifically "designed for" high-megapixel sensors, but newer lenses may be more suitable for them. The 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II is a good example. It's noticeably sharper than the mark I version of that lens so it will better be able to make use of all those tiny pixels. (I assume the lens you mentioned below was the mark II?)  Frame rate and buffer are some of the aspects that make them better suited for sports and...