or Connect

Posts by Wiggin

I'm pretty sure iCloud email isn't running on Exchange server. So if it doesn't support IMAP, how is it connecting to iCloud, Gmail, and Yahoo mail? I can't get to iTunes right now to verify what the description says Outlook is actually supporting, but just because the AI article didn't list IMAP I wouldn't automatically assume it doesn't support it.
 That only applies if you've used 3rd party software to enable TRIM support on non-Apple installed SSDs. Put simply, such software modifies a signed Apple kext file which upon installing a system update risks causing the file to not load (fails validation because it's been modified) and bricking your system.
 But I suspect the point was that something like that shouldn't be hardcoded into the system software. It shouldn't require a .x release (or even a .Y.x release) to add new channels. It should be more akin to a data table that can be updated via a non-system software update rather than make the new channels wait for an OS update to deploy. That said, there may be performance reasons for doing it the way they do. And it certainly a good carrot to get people to update their...
 This is a very selective viewpoint you have, conveniently ignoring that Snowden disclosed far more than you are admitting to. There are very few people here who are condemning Snowden for revealing that the US government may be spying on American citizens, which is illegal if not done with the proper court order, warrants, etc. Many of us wish he would have gone about that revelation in another way, and some believe that the way he did it was illegal, but that’s not what...
One other note...read the entire page that AI links go. There is NOTHING on that page that suggests this iPhone exploit was ever successfully developed. The status is listed as "in development". The verbs used in the last paragraph about the strategy are all future tense, referring to potential future use of the exploit. It even says that the development (which was still underway) was only aimed at creating an exploit that requires direct access to the iPhone. Any ten year...
 That picture was from a well known and open meeting between Obama and tech CEOs about how to bring jobs back to the US. The meeting was not a secret and was reported on in the press at the time that it happened. Now, we can't say for certain that there wasn't any side discussion about letting the NSA install backdoors in their products, but do you really think Obama would be the one leading those discussions? In any event, that photo in no way supports that any such...
 You really need to be able to make a distinction between "whistleblower" (revealing the NSA might be spying on American citizens, which is against the law) and traitor (everything else Snowden released). As I said earlier, ignoring the fact that he even violated the law in his whistleblower role(not using established avenues of disclosure), even if we pardon that act, the rest of his disclosures are clearly illegal and in the category of traitor.
 Funny. I was thinking DED was showing an uncharacteristic lack of fanaticism here. This article reminded me of the excellent series of articles AI published during Apple's big hardware and software transitions in the long ago past. Those articles were objective, educational, mercifully lacking in extreme hyperbole, and prompted constructive commentary. I much prefer that kind of reporting to u-ra-ra we're-number-one-everyone-else-sucks cheerleading articles. Excellent...
 Out of curiosity, when you say it freezes what state is it in? I believe the software update mentioned in the article (which reduced the speed of the GPU to limit the heat produced and was actually a firmware update) also has nasty bug in it which Apple never fixed. Periodically when my computer is switching between graphics chips (integrated vs discrete) it blue screens. Just a pure blue screen, no cursor, no text. By all appearances the computer is completely locked up...
 Except that Rosetta relied on the fact the Intel processors had a big performance advantage over PowerPC which made the translation penalty mostly unnoticeable. Similarly, PowerPC chips had a performance advantage over 68k chips which made the Classic environment feasible. And as others have already point out, the current projections for A-series performance is "less than i3" level performance. In other words, a fair deal less performance than even the slowest chip Apple...