or Connect

Posts by Wiggin

That picture was from a well known and open meeting between Obama and tech CEOs about how to bring jobs back to the US. The meeting was not a secret and was reported on in the press at the time that it happened. Now, we can't say for certain that there wasn't any side discussion about letting the NSA install backdoors in their products, but do you really think Obama would be the one leading those discussions? In any event, that photo in no way supports that any such...
 You really need to be able to make a distinction between "whistleblower" (revealing the NSA might be spying on American citizens, which is against the law) and traitor (everything else Snowden released). As I said earlier, ignoring the fact that he even violated the law in his whistleblower role(not using established avenues of disclosure), even if we pardon that act, the rest of his disclosures are clearly illegal and in the category of traitor.
 Funny. I was thinking DED was showing an uncharacteristic lack of fanaticism here. This article reminded me of the excellent series of articles AI published during Apple's big hardware and software transitions in the long ago past. Those articles were objective, educational, mercifully lacking in extreme hyperbole, and prompted constructive commentary. I much prefer that kind of reporting to u-ra-ra we're-number-one-everyone-else-sucks cheerleading articles. Excellent...
 Out of curiosity, when you say it freezes what state is it in? I believe the software update mentioned in the article (which reduced the speed of the GPU to limit the heat produced and was actually a firmware update) also has nasty bug in it which Apple never fixed. Periodically when my computer is switching between graphics chips (integrated vs discrete) it blue screens. Just a pure blue screen, no cursor, no text. By all appearances the computer is completely locked up...
 Except that Rosetta relied on the fact the Intel processors had a big performance advantage over PowerPC which made the translation penalty mostly unnoticeable. Similarly, PowerPC chips had a performance advantage over 68k chips which made the Classic environment feasible. And as others have already point out, the current projections for A-series performance is "less than i3" level performance. In other words, a fair deal less performance than even the slowest chip Apple...
 Other than that I don't think there is such a thing as a 2013 Mac mini (I assume you meant 2012), I agree. Just a few weeks ago I purchased an Apple refurbished (from the  Apple online store) late 2012 2.5 GHz dual-i5 mini for $419. Only 4 GB RAM and 500 GB drive, but easy enough to upgrade both of those for far less than Apple charges for RAM and storage ($800 for a 1 TB SSD, are you kidding me?!?!). The trade-offs (Thunderbolt 1 vs 2, wifi is N instead of AC, and the...
 But that last statement is the kicker. How long have we had multiple CPUs/cores in our computers? And we are still at the point that for most users anything beyond dual CPUs is already pushing past the point of diminishing returns (unless you are running highly parallelized programs like video compression and such). You'd get a little more juice out of quad-core, but for most users it would be maybe 3x, not 4x. So just cramming 18 cores into a box really isn't going to...
You're looking at one day using the same bad logic DED used for the article. Yes, on that one day Apple had a bigger recovery than the overall market (great if you happened to time that perfectly). But during the past week or so Apple also tanked bigger than the broader market (I don't recall AI reporting that as reflecting Apple's performance). So Apple has shown greater volitility than the boarder market, but in general the trend of its stock price has been largely...
Apple's stock didn't surge...the entire market surged. Apple's future is bright, but the stock performance over the past week is nothing more than following the rest of the irrational market trend and not indicative of anyone thinking Apple's position has improved.
I don't think this suit has merit. You are getting the capacity advertised. Nowhere is Apple advertising "free space". They are advertising capacity, and the devices have the capacity stated.   If you wanted to file a lawsuit, you'd have better luck suing them for secretly downloading multi-GB OS installers without your consent. On a 16 GB device that is a sizable amount of wasted space that serves no function. My wife has run into this several times on her 16 GB iPad....