or Connect

Posts by Wiggin

How?It might be great evidence in a trial where Amazon was the defendent; but how, exactly, does it have any bearing on the trial against Apple?
 Assuming that you somehow have deep insight into Amazon's long-term business plan for ebooks (but I'm betting you don't), is this really all that different than when Apple created the first succesful music download business? Apple "forced" the music labels to, in almost all cases, sell individual songs rather than full albums. The labels screamed that this devalued their product (sound familiar?), but they agreed to the terms. And it made it very difficult for anyone...
 Open and shut only if you consider best sellers as markets onto themselves. Otherwise a bit murkier I think. Or are you suggesting that it's also illegal for my local grocery store to sell a few items at below cost to get people to shop there? Because guess what, that happens, too.Yes, perhaps Amazon should be investigated, but I'd hardly call it open and shut. Looking at recent history, MS wasn't just takent to court just because they were successful in making IE the...
 Everybody likes to point to MFN clauses as some holy grail that justifies, even enables, cerrtain business practicies. But MFN is a bit like monopolies in that they can be totally benign or they can be tools for anticompetitive practices. Monopolies are not automatically illegal. It's what you do with them that gets you into trouble.Also, it appears from my limited reading that historically MFN clauses are used to dictate the prices the supplier (publishers) charges the...
 Here, let's make your analogy relevant to this case, because what you wrote is complete irrelevant.... Now let's say that tourist trap selling water at higher prices than elsewhere worked with all of the bottled water suppliers and convinced them to change their relationship with the other stores and force them to sell water at the same higher price as the tourist trap shop.I'm not saying that's what Apple did. I'm saying that's what Apple is accused of doing. I don't...
  I think the only difference between the "for Mac" drives and the rest of WDs lineup is that the for Mac drives come formatted for HFS+. I think the software bundles include both Windows and Mac software no matter which drive you get. It kinda makes sense. There's a risk that a Mac user might buy a Windows formatted disk and never realize it and then wonder why their disk is slower than expected.
 I have several older WD Studio drives, including some used for Time Machine, and more current internal drives. But I stopped buying the Studio drives when WD's software and firmware became too intrusive. My basic philosophy...I shouldn't need to install any software to use an external hard drive. Especially what was sometimes flaky software just get get eye candy indictor lights on the enclosure to work. When WD started including hidden partitions and messing with the...
 So two wrongs make a right?I'm not saying Apple is guilty, but your argument ("because that's the way we've always done it") certainly isn't a legitimate defense. If it was, the mafia and drug lords would love it..."sure I killed him, but that's they way we've always done business so why are you prosecuting me now?"
 Having recent sat on a jury in a case where the the government was the plaintiff, I can state with certainty that your claim that every court is stacked against the defendant and your suggestion that some mysterious government entitiy controls all apsects of the trial is absolutely false.