or Connect

Posts by Wiggin

I'd call it a tax dodge. A perfectly legal one, but a dodge nonetheless.The more I think about it, I wonder is it really just about taxes? Or is it about intellectual property ownership? As I understand from the stories I read, Apple lowers it's US taxes by deducting the cost of the IP licensing from their own Irish subsidiary. Licensing IP is a perfectly legit business expense, but does anyone really think Apple Ireland played any significant role in developing that IP...
 Exactly. My two year old laptop at work runs XP. The versions of Window since then have each been so dramatically different that it's a moving target for any business to decide to upgrade. Especially a large company which has a lot of interconnected systems where you have to make sure everything works when you upgrade anything.How many Mac users do you think there are that wish they could do the same, install an older OS on current hardware? Based on the graph showing...
 But from my understanding, it was Apple who chose not to support it in the Verizon version of the iPhone 5. I seem to recall some head scratching at the time wondering why Apple didn't implement the necessary tech, although I forget the details.
 Duh! Thanks! I thought I had tapped and swiped pretty much everywhere thinking there had to be a way...maybe tapping/swiping the contact name would do it or something. I guess I didn't try tapping *above* the the contact name. LOL Now....about getting back to the end of the thread... Ha, ha.(Can you guess how much I hate the hide-and-seak aspect of so many modern UIs?)
 My top pet peeve as well. Followed closely by having to scroll all the way to the top of a conversion to get to contact info and reply options. Some of my conversation threads are very long and that's a lot of scrolling. So that's also getting fixed. Nice!
 I tend to agree, and that was a theory I had suggested awhile back when there was a thread about the prominent "designed in CA" marking on the new Mac Pro. However, when it comes to the TV ad I have to ask, are the things in the ad the things CA is viewed positively for? Or is it more for sun, surf, and Hollywood and being "cool"? I thought that was the direction they'd they'd take the whole Designed in CA theme.As someone else previously stated, the ad was more like a...
Probably just me, but the thing that was a bit jarring to me is that the images and feelings Apple was trying to generate in the commercial is pretty much the exact opposite of what I think when I think California. I might associate those things specifically with the San Fran Bay area (which obviously is where Apple is located), but I wouldn't associate it with California in general.
 Thanks for the links. I must have missed that news. Looks like size was one of, if not the primary consideration. Their trial was before the iPad mini was released, but even the mini might have been too big for what they needed for this specific purpose. But if nothing else, this provides an example as a counter-argument to the claim that the iPad (for pilots) was blindly selected just because it's popular.
 Yup. But I'd be curious to see what criteria, if any, the airlines used or was it just "the pilots say they want iPads"? I've had discussions (aka, arguments) with people upset the AF wasted money buying iPads when they could have gotten cheaper tablets. These people wonder why pilots get iPads but nobody else in the AF does for their jobs. Clearly a case of iPad envy, but also because some would believe the pilots are farily elitist and spoiled (not an entirely...
I agree that the iPad is the obvious choice for this task, but at the same time I'd be curious to see the criteria the airlines use when selecting which tablet to use. Is it simply that the iPad is the only device that's completed FAA approval (I don't recall specific announcements that other tablets were approved)? Or were there other "contenders"? I know all the arguments we here would come up with to explain the choice, but having the actual criteria used by the AF,...