or Connect

Posts by Wiggin

Before Apple changed things in response to complaints, yes it was possible to make in app purchases without a password. Your iDevice would remember the password after the first time you used it and would not ask for it again for future purchase, in app or otherwise.
  While I haven't tried to look up any specific numbers, I suspect this "middle class tax evasion" hurts the poor in the same manner as corporate tax loopholes do. It takes away tax revenue from the states who run many of the assistance programs for the poor. And the poor are the least likely to be able to take advantage of this illegal tax break like everyone else does. So if you complain that others are avoiding paying taxes and that's hurting the less fortunate, and if...
"It's also worth noting that unlike stores like Apple, Wal-Mart, and Target, MacMall only collects sales tax in CA, IL, NY, TN, MN, GA, NC, WI."   Just because MacMall doesn't collect taxes doesn't mean they are tax free. In nearly every state you are required by law to "self-report" and pay your state the sales tax owed on this "tax-free" purchase.   Not that I expect most people to actually do that. But if you don't pay the taxes due, you are actually worse...
Not buying the "flying object" reason. I almost always have my turned off iPad sitting on my lap during take-off and have not once been asked to put it away. As for the proposed "it depends on the aircraft" rule. I predict it to be an utter failure if approved. Why? Can you imagine the arguments air crew will get into with passengers who claim they can have their device on and the crew trying to explain to them not on THIS aircraft. The fact that anyone at the FAA even...
 I wonder who they partner with for their coverage. I don't think Virgin Mobile in the US has their own cell network, do they?
  Point taken...your first point. I amend my statement to Apple will maintain it's incredibly high profit margins. I have been paying attention to Apple for quite some time. Yes, Apple said about a year ago that there might be slightly lower profit margins...a foreshadowing of the release of the iPad mini. But your previous past that price has nothing to do with cost, and an example of a lower priced item actually costing more, are quit irrelevant to Apple. They would...
 I had looked up the iSuppli teardown analysis of the 4S and the "mechanical and electrical/mechanical" (which I assume is the case, buttons, antenna, etc) was $33. The cost to manufacture was $8. So even if they cut both in half, which is overly generous I think, you are looking at around $24 in cost savings. Combine that with the other items you mention and you are getting there.
 Sure, but this is Apple we are talking about. It's all about maximizing profit margin. Given the concerns both Apple and the market have expressed about the lower margin iPad mini taking away sales from the more profitable iPad, I expect that is something they will keep in mind if they release a lower priced iPhone. So while you are right that there's not necessarily a direct and linear relationship between cost and selling price, Apple would still seak to minimize the...
 Which is EXACTLY why the next iPad mini won't be Retina. Apple would prefer you buy a full-size iPad because they'll make more money off you!The day after the mini was announced everyone started predicting the 2nd gen would be Retina. I said back then that it probably wouldn't be until the 3rd gen. There are too many technical, financial, and marketing arguements against a retina display iPad mini at this poing in time. Sure, there are people who want one. And surely...
 I think you are potentially confusing carriers and markets. Just because a carrier doesn't have the iPhone doesn't mean that the market that carrier serves doesn't have another carrier selling iPhones. For example, there are a lot of small "mom-and-pop" carriers even in the US that serve small regional areas (usually by buying capacity from the big players who also operate in the same area. So adding those smaller carries might just add administrative overhead for Apple...