or Connect

Posts by Wiggin

Which is EXACTLY why the next iPad mini won't be Retina. Apple would prefer you buy a full-size iPad because they'll make more money off you!The day after the mini was announced everyone started predicting the 2nd gen would be Retina. I said back then that it probably wouldn't be until the 3rd gen. There are too many technical, financial, and marketing arguements against a retina display iPad mini at this poing in time. Sure, there are people who want one. And surely...
 I think you are potentially confusing carriers and markets. Just because a carrier doesn't have the iPhone doesn't mean that the market that carrier serves doesn't have another carrier selling iPhones. For example, there are a lot of small "mom-and-pop" carriers even in the US that serve small regional areas (usually by buying capacity from the big players who also operate in the same area. So adding those smaller carries might just add administrative overhead for Apple...
All this talk about what the case is going to be made of...that alone isn't going to make much of a price difference. So beyond the external appearance, what else might change to get the price lower? Less RAM, cheaper flash storage, simpler CPU/GPU, smaller battery, less capable camera(s), or eliminate one camera like the low-end Touch (that alone would probably save more money than changing the case)? Where can Apple make cuts to lower the price while still preserving a...
 There are a lot of places in the world were "I'm from California" will get you a warmer reception than "I'm from the US". California means Hollywood. US means Washington DC. CA means fun and cool. US means politics and wars. Combined with that Apple also appears to love it's CA roots, I'm not surprised at all the say designed in CA. On other note, anyone know the breakdown of Mac Pro sales in the US vs non-US? If the vast majority are US sales, there might not be much of...
 Except that, as per iFixIt, all of the antennas are in the plate at the very top of the box, not distributed throughout the box. But they may have needed to get the antennas farther away from the power supply and, in the Time Capsule, perhaps the hard drive too, in order to isolate them from the electronic noise.
 Yes, but not because of the slow wi-fi. Don't forget, there are three gigabit Ethernet ports, too. So theoretically you could benefit from faster storage. But as as been already pointed out, most likely the processor/controller responsible shuffling data to/from the drive is probably a bottleneck, has has been the case on previous generations of Airports. The internal drives in Time Capsules seem to have been data rates, but drives connected to the USB ports seem to...
 I've had the exact same thing happen with Apple's own power adaptors. I don't even own a non-Apple built power block for any of my Mac laptops.
 It's very un-Apple to have that much empty space. Apple prides itself on making things as small/thin as possible purely for asthetic reasons. And yes, Apple does want people to admire the looks of their products, even a wi-fi router.As for comments about antenna performance...perhaps Apple is stinging still from antenna-gate. LOL The main performance gain is probably getting the antennas away from the power supply which they moved inside of the case. See, Apple does want...
 One has to wonder though...if the Extreme has the same power supply as the Time Capsule (ie, it can power a drive), and if you can tap into it, could you use a USB-to-SATA adapter kit to hack together an internal drive connection?
 Yep. Even via gigabit Ethernet the current Extremes can't full use of even a USB 2 drive. Unless Apple gave the new ones much faster processors, USB 3 and/or SSD would be pointless.