or Connect

Posts by Wiggin

Granted, the iPad wouldn't be the best way to take video to a friend's house. I'd rather have an iPod to do it, but iPods are stuck with SD output only in which case I'd rather own the DVD because it would be better quality than Apple's SD. (And while DVD isn't HD, if you have a good scaler in your TV, a DVD can look damn near as good as Apple's highly compressed 720p.) Regardless, the point is that Apple's HD video content isn't currently portable, which is one reason I...
And what if I'm connecting it to a non-4:3 monitor? What resolutions and aspect ratios will it support? Perhaps the title "Inside Apple's iPad: VGA video output" should have been reserved for when there's actually some information about how it will work.My use case would be one of the reasons I don't purchase video from iTunes: portability. I'll rent video when I'm going to watch it right then on my TV. But I won't purchase it because I can't take the HD video anyplace and...
While I understand the arguments against a CDMA/Verizon iPhone, there is one big one for it even if it means extra expense and overhead for Apple. The longer Apple waits to deploy a CDMA iPhone, the longer Android has to establish a foothold with Verizon. Think about the iPod/iTunes "lock-in" everyone complained about when music had DRM. You couldn't switch to a non-Apple music player because none of the music you purchased would work on it. The longer Android goes...
I think Apple would quickly come under scrutiny by regulators if they stick to this policy and then roll out their own location aware ad service that developers had to use if they wanted that type of functionality. They may simply be banning it for now until their own ad service is ready to deploy and the open it up to everyone. That would at least prevent Google from getting a head start. Either way, I'd consider it a turn for the worst. Apple has historically resisted...
Care to provide any references for that claim? Consumer Reports (which is as "non-affiliated" as you can get) surveys of actual customer experience has consistently place Verizon at the top and ATT at/near the bottom. And this goes back to well before the iPhone was released, so you can't blame the iPhone for their problems. And CR only reports on users in the 15-ish top metropolitan areas, not backwoods middle-of-nowhere locations. So this is effectively a comparison of...
You can't really make that comparison and other carriers don't have an iPad data plan option. You are comparing ATT's iPad data plan with "other carriers" mobile broadband plans. As an example, Verizon's is $60/month. But guess what, ATT's mobile broadband plans are also $60/month. These plans are intended to be used with laptop's and netbooks, which could be used for far more data-intenstive online activities than an iPhone or iPad might typically be. But when you compare...
My guess is that the iPad won't ship with a camera until the iPod touch does. The low price of the wi-fi iPad makes the touch look overpriced compared to what you get. Adding a camera to the iPad but not the touch would make it look even worse. They'd either have to lower the price of the touch, which could potentially hurt iPhone sales if you lower it too much, or add a camera to the touch to increase it's value for the price. I could see them adding a higher resolution...
One thing for certain. Verizon nay-sayers can no longer use the reasoning that Apple wouldn't make a Verizon phone because it would fracture the manufacturing efficiency, cause inventory problems, or (my favorite) confuse sales staff. Apple obviously feels that making two different iPad lines won't suffer from these problems. And the iPad will likely sell in much lower volumes than the iPhone. So all of those reasons are invalid. It comes down to technical, which is...
Because it will take years for that new standard to be fully deployed and even once it is, CDMA won't be going away right away. Or do you expect every Verizon customer to instantly throw out their CDMA phones and switch to a new one? The transition will take at least as long as the expected lifetime of an iPad.They do, sort of. Their mi-fi card. It's not a dongle, but it my opinion it's better because you don't have anything sticking out of your device, and it can support...
Obviously. But he added the comment to a discussion about the filesystem of the iPad. By relating that to the desktop iTunes/iPhoto/etc apps and then pointing out the limitations of those apps (having to drag a file to the desktop, thus making a copy of it, in order to use it in another application) you are also pointing out the limitation of the iPad filesystem if you wanted it to become a device capable of more complex usage.And rather then repeatedly typing my search...