or Connect

Posts by Wiggin

It would still need to support CDMA. An LTE only phone would be all must useless for several years. It's not as if Verizon can flip a switch and deploy LTE nationwide overnight. CDMA will need to be supported on all Verizon phones for at least a couple more years while the buid-out takes place.
It wouldn't be to court Verizon. It would be to counter Android before it can get a firm foothold unchallenged in 2/3s of the US cell phone market. Android's satisfaction and loyalty rates aren't much below the iPhones. It would be less expensive for Apple to go after those customers now with a CMDA phone, before they go Android, than to try and convert them off Android later.
Actually, is possible that the impedance through several inches of flesh (having two different fingers touching each antenna) is too great to cause this issue. But "shorting" the gap by directing bridging it with a finger or other part of your palm, may be low enough impedance to allow interference.
Yeah, and look at how long they clung to that before admitting it was a bad decision. Apple has made some design mis-steps in recent years and then reverted back to older designs in the next upgrade cycle (the fat nano comes to mind). But while this issues is still being understood, at first blush this could be their biggest design foul up in many years.
Yes, "some" attenuation. But the problem here is that there is evidence of their being far, far more than "some"! Are there any other cell phones available today where the antenna is external where it can come in direct contact with your hand? Have you ever touched a TV or radio antenna and had it affect reception? Direct contact is a problem! This was one of the first things I wondered when I saw the design. Yes, putting the antenna on the outside of the case will help...
And remember, the original PowerPC mini was only $499. The switch to Intel added $100 to the base price and now they've tacked on another $100. So a 40% increase in what, 5 years? Bad Apple!
While generally true, there was an update to the CDMA spec about a year ago that would allow simultaneous voice and data. If I recall correctly, the carrier hardware was essentially just a card swap at the cell towers and the hardware was supposed to be available this summer. Also, you'd need an updated handset to support the new standard as well. Obviously, it's not as simple as that sounds, but it is possible. The question is whether Verizon and Apple have made the deal...
Fair enough. The Apple TV meets your needs. Personally, I find it too limiting. It can't play my current media (ie, DVDs) and can only play files in Apple's very limited video spec restrictions. And it all has to be in iTunes. FrontRow on a mini can play DVDs (ripped or physical) and any QuickTime compatible format. Just dump the files in your Movies folder. Pretty much everything it can do are things that are now coming built-in to many TVs (outside of playing iTunes...
The point was that not eveyone is willing/able to continue adding more and more boxes to their TV. Cable boxes, DVD/BR players, dedicated boxes for Amazon and/or netflix boxes, etc. And my post was in response to another post about using a mini as a blu-ray player connected to a TV, not as simply a multi-pupose computer. Other than playing Apple purchased/rented content, both the Apple TV and mini aren't very useful as home theater devices for the average user (ie, those...
True, but then there are many of us who have not yet made the jump to a BRD player. Sure they have come down in price, but for me it's not a matter of price. It's a matter of limited space and limited connections. My DVD player was removed to make room for a mini. And there is no room for a standalone BRD player. So either TiVo makes a unit with blu-ray (like they licensed others to do with DVD players) or Apple adds blu-ray to either AppleTV or the mini. I still think it...