or Connect

Posts by Wiggin

Such as? The only real hurdle is making the business agreement between the two companies. Everything else (manufacturing, supply chain, inventory, etc) are trivial. Some would argue that designing the phone itself would be a challenge. But in what way? It's not as if the entire phone would need to be redesigned. Only a relatively small portion would need to be replaced. Yes, there are integration issues to sort out, but manufacturers have been making GSM & CDMA versions of...
Awhile. But CDMA can be upgraded to carry simultaneous voice/data without having to go to LTE. That upgrade is likely far easier than the transition to LTE.
That logic only applies if all networks are equal from a # of subscribers perspective. But 1 network does not equal another. ATT represents over 1/3 of iPhones sold. Verizon is a little bigger than ATT. Do the math. If the iPhone can penetrate the same percentage of Verizon's customer base as it does with ATT, that represents a 33% increase in sales. Well worth the relatively minor technical effort needed.
Since the new iPhone appears to have a more boxy design and these photos show the old curved back design, I'd guess this is the model that wasn't released last year. I doubt Apple would maintain the old design for the touch after updating the iPhone design. Besides, it's pretty much a certainty that the reason for scrapping the camera was that the old design wasn't thick enough to accommodate a high enough quality camera module.
Yeah, you are right. More than doubling your reachable US customer base makes no sense at all. I mean, what company in their right mind would want to increase their worldwide sales by 30%?
You guys crack me up! Every technical "issue" anyone would make for not having a CDMA iPhone are trivial at, best. By many of these arguments, why would anyone bother making a CDMA cell phone these days? For that matter, Apple should just stop selling the 3GS right now, too. After all, it won't magically get any faster on an LTE network (just like a CDMA phone won't get any faster when Verizon deploys LTE). I guess Motorola, Nokia, Sony, and all the rest should just stop...
I think it has less to do with how many different Android models are available and more to do with the fact that ATT only addresses about 1/3 of the US market. By that I mean the number of suscribers, not geographic area. Android doesn't have to compete with iPhone on Sprint, Verizon, Tmobile, or any number of the smaller carriers across the country. Regardless of the reason, Apple needs to get off it's ass and get iPhones on other networks. The more people who get on the...
Except it isn't. It's two completely different types of plans. One plan (A) is for a single device (and a limited device, at that) for $30/month and the other plan (B) is for any number of fully capable devices (ie computers), possibilities for teethering, etc for $60/month. ATT's plan B is the exact same price as Verizon's plan B.And when ATT does allow tethering, how much you want to bet it will cost an additional $30/month on top of what you are already paying. And...
Build-to-order iPad? Highly unlikely. It's not like you are swapping the screen on a laptop. I call BS on this whole rumor. Probably started by the same people who've been insisting for the last two upgrades of the iPhone that Apple would use OLED. They must have investments in it or something and are trying to push the tech.
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. And what, exactly, are they claiming "innovation" on? Getting the hell out of the way so someone else could create the cell phone that changed the market? This is just another in a long string of attempts to rebuild their image through branding rather than by performance. After all, today's ATT is nothing more than the rebranding of SBC and Cingular, two of the more notoriously hated companies in the country at the time (from my...