or Connect

Posts by Techboy

Awesome? What exactly do they hope to win here?
It is no secret publishers are pissed about Amazon's steep discounts. It completely undermines the same books sold else where, online and otherwise. I think part of the problem is publishers need to man-up, either boycott Amazon or shut up. I work in publishing, and in twenty years of doing this, I have never seen such a lack of direction and leadership.
********** The five publishers and Apple hatched an arrangement that lifted the price of many best-selling e-books to $12.99 or $14.99, according to the suit. The publishers then banded together to impose that model on Amazon, the government alleged. "As a result of this alleged conspiracy, we believe that consumers paid millions of dollars more for some of the most popular titles," said Attorney General Eric...
"Collusion"? DOJ, are you kidding me? This is how you waste taxpayer's money? Of all the crap going on with our "free market" this is what they want to go after. How did Amazon get out of this one? Publishers are more worry about Amazon's pricing practices than Apple right now. I'm still waiting for smack down on Wall Street that is long over due. How about it DOJ?
Are they even generating revenue??? Not that I care if Facebook wants to throw away their money, just saying.
Apple can afford it...the 80% discount is silly as an excuse to attract "good paying jobs"... why not take pride in the local job skills that attract Apple instead of the other way around??? The build it and they will come is a fatal mistake in our gov't understanding of long term job growth. Companies can't growth without talent and skillful workforce, not the other way around.
It always comes down to money...this is no different. Until they work out a pricing plan that publishers are comfortable with...this isn't gonna take off. Then you have school budgets to worry about...everything sounds great on paper and until they actually setup some curriculum and test it for a few years in a control setting, no one can HONESTLY claim ebooks is better method to educate our kids.
Another example of Western culture not having a clue about Asian culture or the rest of the world for that matter. $600~ a month is poverty for our living standard and yet we have the audacity to go oversea and look at how overwork and low-paid they are and draw the conclusion they need to work even less??? All this in the name of humanity rights and equality? All this nonsense doesn't add up other than multinational corporations fixing their names in the press. It does...
I think the only thing slowing ibook store is that glaring 30% cut Apple is taking for basically hosting. It just doesn't sit well with publishers and writers. If Apple really want to compete in ebooks, they need to lower that rate.
I said this before and I'll say it again... only in America where you can sue someone when the "wrong-doing"" is partly your own and assume zero responsibility. I like to know how fast was she walking to break the nose??? Apple should apologized and pay for the medical but 1-million??? Complete overkill... this thing sounds like someone is bored and wants attention. Maybe we should have a reality show based on this kind of thing, there would be no shortage of drama and...