or Connect

Posts by TBell

I feel your sentiment. However, iTunes Radio is pretty enjoyable. It plays ads far less than Pandora, and often times I go hours without hearing an ad. To the extent you hear or see an ad, they are pretty well done. 
  That is BS. The market did not really set the price. Amazon set the price. It set the price by forcing publishers to sell the ebooks for less than they desired by using its monopoly position in traditional books sales to gain concessions. Amazon essentially stole its ebook market position. When it actually had to compete, in a short time its position went from 90 percent down to 70.  Moreover, the agency model did not prevent Amazon from negotiating for exclusives for...
 You assume the DOJ is investigating Amazon. Bezos is a big supporter of Obama. Hence Obama making visits to Amazon. Moreover, the big issue with Amazon is not predatory pricing. It is how it gains concessions from publishers. It essentially uses it monopoly position in online traditional book sales to force publishers to agree to its terms regarding electronic book sales (which is a completely separate market). A big issue was Amazon forcing publishers to agree to release...
  The difference is Apple has not been accused on using its monopoly in electronic music sales to gain an illegal advantage in another market.  Yet, this is exactly what Amazon has done and is doing. It uses it strong position in traditional online book sales to force publishers to concede to its terms in the entirely different market of electronic book sales. That is how it got its monopoly position in electronic book sales. It is also why Barnes and Noble convinced...
Stupid. Two people are not worth 3 billion dollars. 
All of this means nothing. How many subscribers does Beats need to be profitable, is the music licenses transferable, and why can't Apple do this in house? Three billion is a lot of money. 
  I think Apple does messed up things occasionally. For example, occasionally it ships a defective product and refuses to acknowledge the defect. There was an iBook that had a defective logic board whereby the flexing in the plastic case would cause the graphic chip to become dislodged from the board and the monitor would go out.  Many people, including myself, had to have their Macs shipped in and have logic boards replaced on numerous occasions. This, however, doesn't...
  Google, Intel, Adobe, and Apple were not partners all working together? Come on! Please post the email you are referring to. One email at issue is not even from Jobs, but Schmitt. He claims Jobs is pissed off that one of Google's recruiters actively targeted an Apple employee. There is no mention of wages or anything to conclude that wages was the motivation. In fact, no evidence I have seen mentions wages as being the motivation. That motivation is being imputed by the...
 It is not clear to me the objective was economic. What is clear to me is the various companies were involved in various joint products (e.g. Google working with Apple to bring Google Maps to iOS, Intel working with Apple to provide processors for its products, etc.). They didn't want recruiters actively going after each others employees. Paying recruiters to steal each other employees to undermine their joint efforts. It is disruptive to lose employees responsible for...
  Yes, except you forget to tell us how the action is anti-competitive. At the time the agreement was made, the companies involved were essentially partners not competitors. They were all working together in some capacity. They made an agreement not to actively recruit each others employees. How is that anti-competitive?  Here is the key: They didn't prohibit each other from hiring one another's employees. How is it American to force partners to actively recruit each...