or Connect

Posts by thrang

To say Apple "has 200 bn" in the bank as a significant reason why they should pay during the free trail is basically endorsing means-based pricing, which is not sensible. Their worth should have no bearing on the intrinsic value of the larger-context proposition, and it seems there is a desire to ignore the significant investment Apple is making. Since artists stand to benefit with a successful Apple Music venture, it is completely reasonable to ask that they throw in and...
Any business decision costs money, choosing to do something, not do something, choosing to participate or not participate in something... In this case, it was a reasonable effort to partner with artists to get the best possible launch to a system that is a paid model only that provided better payout than Spotify. It is an investment. for all parties. Artists do have a vested interest in seeing a better paid model succeed, but the attitude is quite short sighted.
The beneficiaries of this model are the labels/artists, by a more than 70/30 split after the trial. Apple is bringing a tremendous amount to the table to start this, and not collecting revenues during the trial. The TV analogy make perfect sense, since you are implying the value of something should be dependent upon what someone can afford to pay, not the intrinsic value. No wonder most of these artists struggle, they are clueless when a reasonable deal is placed before them.
The amount of money they have earned is not be material to what is the right investment for a business decision. That is an entitlement mentality.If you want to buy a new television and ask for the price, would you expect someone to first ask for your financial statement or last years tax return to determine how much they should charge you?It's actually very telling to me that the responses may fall this way, as opposed to a more rational view of what each party was doing...
Lol, there are lots of unpaid intern positions that are taken in the hopes of getting a job. You can't be serious...If you don't like the terms, stay as a download only distro model...Oh, you don't want to miss out on the Apple Music opportunity...I suspect a lot of artists are fine with the original model, because they're smart enough to see the mid and long term benefit.
And hundreds of millions ARE coming out of Apple's pockets, for something that will benefit Apple less than 30% and the rights holders more than 70%. The subtext of what Swift and a few other high profile artists are saying is the Apple could "afford" to pay them while offering the free trial, which is of course ironic because those very same artists are the ones that could most easily afford to not collect royalties for a few months and help a pay streaming service launch...
So then let the artist choose to remove their music from the free tier of Spotify. I don't understand their POV. They have an opportunity to benefit from a paid only streaming model, which is more affordable for families than Spotify, on the most popular platform in the world. If it doesn't "catch on", well Apple loses too. And if the artists want to let a free their service exist, than stop bitching. Artists have a vested interest in contributing to make a paid only model...
I think Apple could have handled this much better, but the original deal with probably more fair than was discussed by the pundits   - Apple has invested and will invest, I'm sure, hundreds of millions into this venture, so they too have taken a large financial risk. Asking the artists to pony up to the bar for three months is not unreasonable. - The paradigm shift - moving to a paid only model - is of greater benefit to all the artists than the Spotify model (so is our...
Same here, at the Paramus store in NJ. They haven't really figured out how to sell this properly, being the first device with so many options (between metals, case sizes, bands, band sizes, there hundreds of permutations). Along with the fact that they can't lock them down and alarm them like every other devices, the Watches are need a guided tour for consumers, which is the opposite of the otherwise very open "explore on your own" design of the store. I can type on a...
Is that actually a promotional photo from Pebble? OMG...