or Connect

Posts by thrang

Right, this I do understand, but I'm imagining traditional subscriptions for newspapers and magazines has been declining for years (in our household we subscribe to half of what we did five years ago, and buy one-off's on the newstand...this year we will be cutting more)I was thinking more of the book side of things...I really don't know that they're giving anything up going to Apple's modelIn fact, I would bet that Apple could provide extraordinary detailed aggregate data...
I'm not sure what the publisher's are talking about...in the "traditional" method of publication distribution (ie going to the bookstore or periodical newstand), I would imagine they collected no personal information as to who was buying their books or magazines (unless the fine print Terms and Conditions of Borders and B&N discount cards indicates that they can share your purchase information with the publisher..) Same with Amazon - does their T&C allow them to share...
Quite likely Apple sniffed, passed, and is already years into developing the next generation of touch technology On the other hand, this seems awfully late for Amazon to be thinking about this...
Remember, year or two ago, Steve said people don't read anymore, so this should cost most of us nothing Authors, publishers, and distributors need to make a profit, otherwise you'll have no books, e- or otherwise. One could argue Amazon's pricing was artificially low to try and jump start the industry, and now that Apple may very well "validate" e-books, prices will rise in the near term. I know it sounds counter-intuitive to the concept of more competition leads...
Did you hear Jobs say to Mossberg "Publishers are going to pull their books from Amazon because they're not happy with them..." (video cuts awkwardly at that point) Also, the bezel is necessary because of the way you will hold the device - an iPhone or Touch is sort of cupped in your hand, or pinched at the bottom (where there is a bezel). The iPad's size will require you to often grasp it between your thumb and fingers, and that will be done along the edge where the...
Please get rid of the overlayed buttons in QT Player... I find extremely annoying. Just give an option for a traditional controller beneath the content - I'll compromise - you can auto-hide it until you move the mouse and then have the controller drop down beneath the content. I barely use the QT Player now, and use the latest version of VLC instead.
I suppose the real success will be how much of a paradigm shift Apple enables with devices when it comes to content delivery from print to electronic distribution. If then can achieve with publishers what they did with the music industry, that can be huge. (I receive 10 or 15 magazines/newspapers in my mailbox or on my driveway every month. If they can deliver that electronically with the same or better user interface experience in a rugged device that's easy to carry...
Apple is often good at surprising us, but even if this device is everything one could hope for, it will be the secondary if not tertiary device for most people [computer(s) first, iPhone(s)/Touch(es) second], and should be priced accordingly. And 3G needs to be optional, or at least iPhone tethering activated by AT&T, because I suspect many iPhone users will be reluctant to add another monthly data plan cost to a non-primary device. As well, owning a device like this...
I wonder if this is a circuitous way of preparing the public for a higher-cost product than has been hoped for - $999 per person is nuts, but $999 for the "family" might be more marketable...
I doubt this rumor has merit, especially for the start; down the road, there could be commercial applications for larger touch screens that are wall, stand, or armature mounted.