or Connect

Posts by photoeditor

But if this is the case, Apple needs NOW to identify the general features that are earmarked for Photos or at least indicate the areas in which nothing will be lost from Aperture's feature set.  No-one will trust them otherwise.  They don't deserve it.  I'm not going to sit around for a year with Aperture only to find that Photos drops two-thirds of the sorting and IPTC features.  
I am not, NOT happy about this at all. I use Aperture, and I use Capture NX2. Both are being discontinued simultaneously. Is there another DAM application with face recognition? How many of the Aperture features will show up in Photos? Will it get the full treatment on DAM but leave the nitty gritty of specialized raw conversion to others, a solution I could live with? Or do we can a bunch of dumbed down, canned half features, a solution that leaves the market without...
An overdue change. When you can buy a 1066x 32GB CompactFlash card of the highest quality for a pro camera for $70, paying $100 simply to get an extra 16GB of somewhat slower flash in a cell phone is anachronistic.
How do you get in touch with Apple to give them feedback?  The thought of being stuck with Helvetica Neue instead of Lucida Grande is really bothering me from a legibility standpoint.  Mac is not supposed to have inferior typography to Windows.  Steve Jobs is probably rolling in his grave.  We're moving from a font that looks great on Retina and good on standard definition, to a font that looks barely OK on Retina and horrible on standard definition.  I at least want the...
I vehemently disagree with the choice of typography on these OS redesigns. This is something that Steve Jobs would NOT have done, but more importantly it's something that's not easy to read, which is why he would not have done it. Ive knows good graphics a mile off, but mistakes text for another graphical element without acknowledging the basic reality that people have to read the stuff. Lucida Grande was thought about, carefully. Probably the only case of type...
I'm not keen on the typography on Yosemite. I hope I will like it better in practice, but it looks like the iPad, and I've had to bold that for legibility as it is. My belief is that legibility is best served by a fairly even and not too tightly leaded typeface like the one we have now, and like the one on the new federal highway signs in the US for example -- both the current Apple one and the new Federal Highway Administration one having been chosen through exhaustive...
  Ideally, yes, this would be the way to go for a complete publication.  But not all printing shops are ideal to work with or properly equipped, and not all jobs involve a complete publication and you may have a shop (or a situation) that simply needs the image in whatever format and being able to barf up whatever old thing they can handle without having to go through several steps with other applications can be handy, especially if for whatever reason it needs to be done...
They goofed with this phone. I thought we would get a more rugged version of the Galaxy S4 with a brighter display. Instead, they made the phone considerably larger for only a tiny increase in display size, and put this hideous chrome trim around it, and just generally made it ergonomically not work, and on top of everything else the previously exemplary SAR rating on Samsung phones doesn't quite carry over to the S5. I'd be happy with a Galaxy S4 if the display were...
Well, there went Boot Camp as a serious application.
If there's a decent education rate, I'll give it a second look. I'm still not sure I'll buy it. Apple has DRAMATICALLY improved iWork, in my view, and among other things, the result is that I can get through consecutive classes in teaching, using Keynote slides, with just the battery -- something that would have been unthinkable with iWork 09 with the applications hammering the processor and keeping the computer at 65 degrees Celsius. I really want to see Microsoft...