or Connect

Posts by photoeditor

I agree on the hard drive issue with the iBook; it is on rubber mounts in order to protect the hard drive from the shock of a seventh grader dropping it; and it is a tight space (only a 9.5mm hard drive, not the standard 12mm drive fits in the iBook). That said, you need to consider whether this is merely a supplement to a desktop computer, or more of a replacement for one. And, if your use is simply word processing, Internet, and the occasional Photoshop file, the iBook...
Interesting that the ATI Radeon 8500 AGP is a build-to-order option on the XServe. Does this mean the rest of the PowerMac line will be getting that choice too -- and that an ADC Radeon 8500 might be available at the AppleStore? I certainly hope so.
I don't know a lot about servers, but this looks awfully cool. And certainly, it can pack a lot of punch. Here's what's most exciting -- for the first time, no IT manager can trot out the excuse that "the servers have to be x86 so therefore the clients shall be as well." And such a thin case -- they're going to be able to fit so many of these in such a small location, with so little cooling required because of the G4 chips. That has to count for a lot.
Of course it should also be noted that the new G4s are already breaking the 200fps barrier on the toughest games when used with the high end graphics cards, and that in many key areas the software on the Mac more than makes up for any deficiencies in speed. Still, under the circumstances of Motorola's processor development, I think Apple ought -- especially with the direction the iMac is taking of actually being useful to mid-range home and business users -- to consider...
If the 7470 G4 -- the 0.13 micron version that's due out shortly -- does not support faster than a 133 bus, that means Apple is going to have to do this XServe hack with DDR for the disk drives and SDR for the processor in its desktop machines. While the XServe seems fine for a server, there are going to be a lot of disappointed folks on the desktop end. Motorola officials give an interesting interview in the June Macworld, in which they openly state 0.13 is close at...
I think part of the problem has to do with your laptop (like all laptops) not being as bright as the Studio Display -- part of the color shift is grayness and dimness; however, that screen does seem a little green compared to the four or five I saw at our local Apple Store. It wouldn't entirely surprise me if there is something to do with your backlight -- either it's defective or not turned up enough. [ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: photoeditor ]

Satchmo, I don't know about the Dell, but Sony's $2,700 VAIO-GRX monster with the 1600x1200 display and about a 1.6GHz Pentium 4-M uses a 16.1 inch display on a 4-to-3 aspect ratio; it is a good half inch wider than the PowerBook and TWO INCHES deeper (!!) and an inch and three quarters thick. It has a nice keyboard (in a case that large there would be no excuse for anything less) but it really is large. And I said eight pounds in my earlier post but with the optical...
Question -- isn't the Radeon 7500 rather faster than the GeForce2 Go? Of course, the 7500 is also probably slower than the GeForce4 Go, but I don't know that many of the faster Nvidia GeForce4 cards have shown up yet even in the high end PC laptops. Also, there is the issue of having to substantially slow down or "clock" down the processor on most PC laptops when on battery, due to the power consumption. Macs don't have to do this. I don't know how the Pentium 4-M is,...
8500 Mac Edition does not have ADC; you would have to use the Apple ADC-DVI connector at $150 or a similar product from another manufacturer. It does, however, have dual-head VGA and DVI support. Check out xlr8yourmac.com by the way if you're thinking about trying to flash PC versions of the 8500 to work on the Macintosh; you'll think again after reading the horror stories from people who have tried. Still trying to decide whether to get an 8500 myself (Mac Edition, of...
I echo Matsu on the WAIT comment, though I don't necessarily agree about the G4. The current entry-level iBook doesn't really cut it. 500MHz G3 on a 66 MHz bus. Enough said. Still, it runs OS X acceptably -- just not particularly well. What I suspect Apple is likely to do, possibly in the next month, is significantly boost the processor speed, say, to 800MHz (still G3) on a 100MHz bus. At that speed, the G3-G4 question becomes much less of an issue. Even at 600...