or Connect

Posts by photoeditor

8500 Mac Edition does not have ADC; you would have to use the Apple ADC-DVI connector at $150 or a similar product from another manufacturer. It does, however, have dual-head VGA and DVI support. Check out xlr8yourmac.com by the way if you're thinking about trying to flash PC versions of the 8500 to work on the Macintosh; you'll think again after reading the horror stories from people who have tried. Still trying to decide whether to get an 8500 myself (Mac Edition, of...
I echo Matsu on the WAIT comment, though I don't necessarily agree about the G4. The current entry-level iBook doesn't really cut it. 500MHz G3 on a 66 MHz bus. Enough said. Still, it runs OS X acceptably -- just not particularly well. What I suspect Apple is likely to do, possibly in the next month, is significantly boost the processor speed, say, to 800MHz (still G3) on a 100MHz bus. At that speed, the G3-G4 question becomes much less of an issue. Even at 600...
OH -- and one qualification to my previous statement. The suitability of the Epson 2200 for black and white will, obviously, be open to interpretation until we actually see some results. But going to seven-color by including a black and a grey ink is definitely progress in this department, as is dealing with the 2000P's issue with metamerism. The sample black and white shots on photo-i look promising, but I'm holding my breath until I see something in real life. Still,...
In a word to the previous question -- YES! I have already been selling 13x19 prints quite successfully with a Polaroid SprintScan 4000 (the revision A model that is SCSI-only and 36 bit, not the current model that is FireWire and 42 bit) and an Epson 2000P. Your proposed combination has the same resolution, probably better edge definition (Nikon's LED is probably better than Polaroid's cold cathode lamp for scanners using the same resolution), definitely better color bit...
My prediction -- if they can get G4 to work with DDR, and deal with remaining cooling problems. September. 800/1GHz G4. DDR motherboard. Maybe a further increase in the screen density if OS X lives up to its promise with scaling fonts. --if they can't work a viable DDR solution with G4 in the laptop. August. 800/1GHz G4. A price cut. See above on screen density. January. CPU that supports DDR, on 0.13 micron fab process. Maybe more price cuts if Sony and Dell...
My gut also says that this is balls, but you've got to give the guy's observational skills a bit more credit than that. The fonts ARE the correct size -- he really hasn't missed a detail. And it's scaled down just enough to mask any funny business he might have had to pull with graphics. If Apple is going to go G4 on the iBook, they're going to have to do something about cooling and battery life. A 42 watt hour battery and a fan that comes on once in a month of Sundays...
OK -- that information about the Photographic Dye ink for the 7600 is key -- that is a dye ink and therefore not a pigment, hence the "not more than 26 years" qualifier. The higher rating I had from photo-i, quoting Epson UK, assumes the new ultrachrome pigment ink. If this is the case it looks like users will have the option to choose between dye and pigment based inks in the pro-line printers. That's an interesting question that I would like an answer to. Until now...
The projected archival of the 2200 -- and this is quoting from information given by Epson UK -- is 45 to 75 years depending on paper grade. Re-read my earlier post, which has the relevant information except for a minor 5-year typo on the archival specification. The hyperlink I also posted will get you to that information. For a more direct route, try www.photo-i.co.uk which is also referenced off the luminous...
The 7500 is massively faster on games than the regular Radeon; the problem is that you need a very fast processor to see any benefit at typical screen resolutions. With a 1GHz you're going to see 100 fps; at 600MHz, all you're going to see is 60 fps like the regular Radeon, but the difference is it will keep doing that all the way to 1600x1200, while the regular Radeon starts to slow down quickly with the higher resolutions. Short answer; in an iBook, with current...
And in regards to the hypothetical question on computers and printers, I'd go for, say, an LCD iMac and an Epson 2200 over a PowerMac G4 and a $149 junker printer from CompUSA, but I sell my photo prints and I need 13x19 support and pigment ink. One other thing you need to consider if you're into photography, and that is display size; you must decide whether or not you're comfortable with 1024x768 in Photoshop. If you are, by all means go LCD iMac. If you need higher...