or Connect

Posts by photoeditor

What formosa said. I don't buy that the 32-64 bit distinction is important for smartphones. I do buy that Apple is in a unique position to have the whole lot work truly well in the long term -- decades forward -- on the same 64-bit system, and I buy the idea that having it all on the same system is a major advantage (although it really does beg the question of when Apple is going to incorporate touchscreens in their PCs). To take one example, the idea of being at an...
I'm curious, is there an option to slightly bold up the font in 7? That's the big downside to it, the text really is spindly. It makes me think they weren't nearly scientific enough with legibility. If you want to see something that really is well thought out, look at the new highway font on interstate direction signs. They spent years figuring that out, even to the point of checking out fonts from other countries such as the British "worboys" font that was thought to be...
This thread is unbelievable. It amazes me how many people rationalize having big corporations extract ever more ridiculous profit margins out of them. Apple's gross margin is, what, 40 percent? It isn't that long ago that margins less than half that were considered huge. All this tells us is that the likes of AT&T didn't feel the need to come off their three figure percentage margins on phone insurance so Apple now figure they can get a much bigger piece of the action....
As long as the extra time means extra attention to quality control. I want it to be like 10.2 or 10.3, work out of the box without lots of stupid glitches. A launch like 10.5, 10.7 or even 10.8 would be very unfortunate.
I think some questions need to be asked about what was going on at Apple during the last year or two of Steve Jobs's life.  Certainly not software development, as the long wait for Aperture 4 and iWork 2011, er, 2012, er, 2013 demonstrates.  And by the sounds of it, a fair bit of indecision regarding the higher-end Apple products that lure people into the Apple ecosystem even if they don't necessarily generate a lot of sales.   My sense is that the company is back on...
Is there anything else you can say to the new phone besides "OK, Google Now" in order to wake it up? I basically really like the packaging of this new phone, but I'm simply not up for this kind of dorky marketing in public. Or private. Also, I have to say the Samsung Galaxy S3 is the first phone I've had that didn't give me a headache while I was on a long call. And so I've come to the conclusion that exceptionally low SAR ratings really do make a difference. At least...
@ andysol, Good to know.  I wish they'd put a more network-oriented drive in there, however.
So does this mean I can get an Airport Extreme, and then insert a decent network hard drive rather than the mismatched Barracuda that Apple is shipping with the Time Capsule? A Western Digital Red would be perfect for this device — you want the coolest running drive you can get for a sealed casing like this, and a drive with network-oriented firmware for this purpose — but Apple just had to go and put in something completely unsuitable, a hotter-running, slightly faster...
Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but I have the grandfathered unlimited data with a Galaxy S3. And I have to say, I really don't want to give it up. Not with the way cell phone use seems to be evolving. And I don't expect Verizon to change the rates they charge grandfathered customers. Which means, I'm still left holding the bag for the full freight when it comes time to replace the SGS3. So the question arises, what else is there? Two years ago, the answer...
This would be a good opportunity to require portability of devices, even of non-GSM carriers. I speak of Verizon and Sprint's failure to open their platforms to other devices. There's a huge potential for churn between CDMA carriers, primarily Verizon and Sprint, that's being squelched by their policies. It's especially ridiculous that a Sprint iPhone and a Verizon iPhone cannot be used on each other's networks, even though the Verizon phone is unlocked for AT&T from...