or Connect

Posts by photoeditor

Didn't see the price right off the bat.  They've really made a mistake here.  May as well get the 15-inch model, seeing as $100 more in the education channel buys you quad-core, discrete graphics and the larger display.  And they persist with the ludicrous markups for flash upgrades.  $500 is the cost of an entire 512GB drive, not the difference between the two, in the high-end retail SSD market.  And, to cap it all off, NO 16GB RAM option on the 13.  That's the...
So when will Apple upgrade their software?  iWork '09 is on course to still be sold in '13 unless something dramatic happens very soon.   Aperture is looking creakier by the minute.   iLife, along with Aperture, gets the occasional patch, bug fix or minor added feature.   When they do thoroughly overhaul an app, they fall flat on their faces (see Final Cut Pro X).   It doesn't inspire confidence.
The fact is, Samsung's panels for smaller devices ranging up to the size of laptops are better than the competition. This is not good news. Perhaps Apple can spend some of that huge cash pile on finally bringing up their percentage of R&D spending to industry-wide averages. Maybe that would help Sharp and LG provide quality components.
Why impair laptops and desktop computers with generously-sized widescreen displays with the limitations of a user interface designed for small vertical format displays such as smartphones?  This seems to me to be hobbling iTunes even further, even if the underlying code in the application improves.  If nothing else, it's likely to be a deterrent against me switching from Android to an iPhone.  The sidebar in iTunes is a widespread feature of applications throughout the...
Big questions:   Does the Thunderbolt Display get updated for USB 3?  Do other issues with it get resolved, such as being able to support a non-Display Port display on pass through without an intermediate Thunderbolt device?   Do they finally roll out an Ivy Bridge iMac?   Is it possible to do a 13 inch Macbook Pro with integrated graphics on Ivy Bridge with a Retina display, or does that require the big advancements in integrated graphics promised for...
As the Droid RAZR M demonstrates, Apple ought to be able to go to a 4.3 inch display with minimal consequences for the width of the handset, and to save trouble for their software developers they could get to 4.3 inches at the current resolution and still stay just north of the 300dpi you need for a Retina claim at the distance one usually holds a phone from one's eyes.  I honestly thought Apple would consider going with 4.3 inches this time.   As for anything larger...
Abandoning Intel, or more broadly, abandoning x86, would be idiotic. The current situation makes Apple the most flexible computing platform in terms of operating system support, and that's vital for professional and corporate use, and besides Intel continues to make very good progress with their chip design. I can see a situation where further improvements in ARM processors or Apple derivatives thereof gets us to a point where many home users will be quite happy with a...
You know what else is a visual downgrade, using the iPhone 5 after a couple of months with a Galaxy S3. The text and graphics are just a little bit too small. Why couldn't Apple have done a 4.3 inch iPhone? It would provide more legibility, it would still be above the 300dpi Retina threshold at the current 1136x640 resolution, it would simply be more comfortable to use, and it would still be narrow enough to meet Apple's requirement that you can text one-handed. Apple...
I'm honestly not sure who is being more unreasonable. A pox on both of them. I think Google shades Apple for the stupidity prize simply because of the penny-wise, pound-foolish attitude to exclusivity. What's really important is exclusivity of the crowd-sourced data and Google, unbelievably, forgot that in this case. They will regret it. Just like GLONASS with GPS, there's now a second player in town, only this time it comes with a huge amount of advertising dollars...
We know from Apple's previous statements and third party research that the profit margins on iPhones are stratospheric. The same, I suspect, is true for other smartphones. You're looking at something like 60 percent margins on the iPhone even after R