or Connect

Posts by photoeditor

The principle is important; you should not be prevented from using a device you have paid for with other services. You buy your iPhone, let's say, from AT&T; the phone, if one could talk AT&T into unlocking it, could also be used with T-Mobile and a few other regional providers like i-Wireless, so long as you don't mind not having AWS freqencies. And yet, per the Librarian of Congress, this is a copyright violation? Get real. You've paid the $200 up front for the...
Not sure why you'd even do this with other drives that are out there; LaCie for Thunderbolt; QNAP and Synology for the flexibility of choosing between direct connections and very fast duplexed network connections; just about everyone else for USB3. Looks like Thunderbolt is going the way of FireWire, unfortunately. It is so much better than USB3, but Apple have put up even bigger barriers to Thunderbolt in licensing and exclusivity than they did with FireWire. Let's...
Something tells me that for this to really work well, we need devices that are truly portable between carriers.   And, until we get devices with multiband LTE support, that's not going to happen in this country.  Sprint continue with their user-unfriendly policies on ESN-unlocking; Verizon open up only because of an FCC edict, but their LTE bands are different from everyone else's; and even AT&T to T-Mobile doesn't work because T-Mobile uses AWS frequencies, soon to...
I have to make a decision in the near future on a display with a time-limited work budget.  At this time, the Thunderbolt Display does not qualify, because the screen glare is excessive and because I need USB 3 hubbing capabilities.   Should Apple not update the Thunderbolt Display with either matte finish or laminated glass, and USB 3, in the next couple of months, I will likely buy Dell's latest LED-backlit 27 inch display.   As an aside I would like to see...
Haswell, obviously.    A second Thunderbolt port.  A third Thunderbolt port if they insist on getting rid of Firewire 800.  These ports are effectively like having external PCI and provide tremendous flexibility.  Hook up an external PCI if you want discrete graphics, or put them whole thing in a rack mount casing for use as a server.   As many power consumption efficiencies as they can find.   One thing I haven't seen mentioned on wish lists is the drive bay...
Will it actually work this time? I've really been shocked at the lack of reliability with this update. There are times that it has felt like OS 9.2.2, or even worse System 7.5. I've had a great many MS Office crashes interacting with Mail, and various other applications hanging or closing. Even the wireless has felt kind of flaky for the first time in a while.
Well, obviously Haswell, seeing as they've dumped discrete graphics already.  It would be nice to have decent graphics performance back again.  And, one hopes, better prices on upgrades such as memory and Fusion drives.
As soon as Apple can get their hands on a more energy-efficient display for the iPad 4, they'll update it again. Probably something along the lines of the Sharp IGZO type of technology used in the iPhone and iPad Mini. That will enable them to substantially shrink the battery and therefore weight, and still keep the same battery life.
Didn't see the price right off the bat.  They've really made a mistake here.  May as well get the 15-inch model, seeing as $100 more in the education channel buys you quad-core, discrete graphics and the larger display.  And they persist with the ludicrous markups for flash upgrades.  $500 is the cost of an entire 512GB drive, not the difference between the two, in the high-end retail SSD market.  And, to cap it all off, NO 16GB RAM option on the 13.  That's the...
So when will Apple upgrade their software?  iWork '09 is on course to still be sold in '13 unless something dramatic happens very soon.   Aperture is looking creakier by the minute.   iLife, along with Aperture, gets the occasional patch, bug fix or minor added feature.   When they do thoroughly overhaul an app, they fall flat on their faces (see Final Cut Pro X).   It doesn't inspire confidence.