or Connect

Posts by photoeditor

I am still not impressed. First, because it's underwhelming in my view from a hardware standpoint. No increase in storage capacity. No water resistance. No push for a bigger display (4.3 inch with the same resolution and still keeping it at above 300ppi for the Retina claims would have been more legible and more finger-friendly than what they chose). Not enough battery life (apparently shaving off two millimeters instead of one is more important than adding four hours...
By far the most important feature -- the choice of LTE bands on the different versions of the phone.  Verizon, Sprint and potentially US Cellular customers will be delighted -- all current and future LTE spectrum on these carriers is represented along with a healthy dollop of international coverage, a feature that simply isn't replicated on any Android device at present.  AT&T and potentially T-Mobile customers have been screwed.  Only the lower 700MHz band and AWS LTE...
I am completely fed up with Apple's behavior.  Five, six years ago, we had a company that was in a serious spurt of innovation, doing things like for the first time making sure software developers had the proper tools to economically develop applications for smartphones, and aggressively pushing Intel Core processors into the marketplace, while still maintaining a very high quality standard with Mac OS X.  We now have a patent trolling company that funds R&D at a notably...
Sorry Ohnka but I can't let your ill-informed remark go.   Let's take a typical European market -- Spain.  OK, it's not Ireland, but it's better than that -- it's the same population as California spread out over a significantly larger area.  Spain's biggest carrier, Telefonica, has more than FIVE TIMES as many towers as California's biggest carrier, AT&T, for about the same number of subscribers.  It's an especially good example of how European wireless networks in...
Well, if the rumors are true, it makes me very comfortable about buying an iPhone and very uncomfortable about buying an iPad.  The iPhone has the great virtue of being something that stays on the market for a long time, as it gradually migrates down the price points.  Not so the iPad.  In general I wish Apple would be more communicative about setting out some general parameters for roadmaps of their products.  (For exhibit A on this, see "Mac Pro")
Apple's initial approach to resolution independence has been about simply doubling resolution.  That's pretty easy to implement.  I suspect what we'll see is some applications that simply use this as a crutch (e.g. Adobe), and others that can truly support resolution independence.  Which is also why the initial Retina displays will be approximately double existing resolution rather than 50 percent better, 70 percent better, 150 percent better and so on.
Apple got three things right.   Tactility.  The ability to actually try the gear out on your own without navigating through a portcullis of bulky security devices, WiFi passwords and so on.   Design.  Keeping the interior layout and visuals of the stores very simple and not distracting from checking out the products, as well as placing the product at a regular desktop height instead of cramming it in on shelves that require the customer to reach up or...
@geneking7320, Just that location closed down. CDW have a gigantic warehouse out in Vernon Hills in the northwest suburbs, with a small retail showroom attached. They're mostly all about the mail order.
I'm interested in an LTE iPhone for two reasons. First, the existing iPhone is fragile. I'd like to see Apple ruggedize it a bit. Second, with LTE it isn't the speed, it's the reception -- 700MHz avoids clashes with towers from other carriers (e.g. Sprint) that I've had trouble with, and it carries farther. I'm not so sure about a bigger display. Four inches makes it easier to type and text on the phone but anything bigger doesn't fit in my hand. I'd long been hoping...
I find it interesting that this harsh pricing on smartphones is coming in right as Virgin Mobile is gaining traction with their very cheap unlimited data plans and Virgin Mobile enabler Sprint is finally starting to take advantage of the bandwidth it owns with better service and better plans of their own. If Verizon succeeds in holding this pricing and shifting the market in its direction it will chill smartphone use for sure and push US rates towards some of the highest...