or Connect

Posts by photoeditor

I'm not so thrilled with posters on web forums confusing 700 megabits with 700 megabytes, which is what the actual test found. Not too bad, out of a maximum potential of 1250 megabytes per second, which is what 10 gigabits is.
I hope Apple is planning to make the Lion download burnable to DVD and bootable. Doing system reinstalls or disk recovery from an internet download might be possible in east Asia, but not with the USA's creaky internet.
Yes, you need a 64-bit processor to run Lion, and that means the CoreDuo chips from 2006 won't work as they're only 32-bit. The switch to Core2Duo at least for the laptops came in early November of 2006.
Are they going to fix the drivers on the AMD Radeon chips in the 15 and 17 inch laptops? The synchronizing with certain monitors through DVI is still borked, and because the 15 and 17 only use the discrete graphics for monitor spanning I can't use disabling the discrete chip as a workaround. I've had to turn off the power management (i.e sleep mode) on my NEC 2490 monitor to get it to work at all in clamshell mode, and have to use a dual-link adapter for it to transition...
A lot of this makes sense to me. I can definitely see an App Store launch for Lion, if for no other reason than that with America's decrepit Internet, the only place you can get South Korean-style download speeds aside from a handful of college campuses and corporate offices is the Apple Store. Go into the store, upgrade your computer online to Lion, and while you're at it they can sell you stuff you don't need. It also makes sense from a technical support standpoint...
If Apple's holding up the iPhone so that they can cram eight megapixels on to a phone sensor, maybe they're losing the plot a little. The camera in the iPhone 4 has been very good — by a long margin the best camera I've seen on a phone. Refine it a little in terms of focus and low-light and you've got a legitimate replacement for any camera for up to about an 8x10 image. Why mess with a good thing like that and follow the crowd in the pursuit of wasting memory space on...
I'm not surprised to see Sen Klobuchar making a particular point of this; her home state of Minnesota stands to be particularly affected by the merger. Thanks to the huge 1900MHz network Aerial Communications built in MN in the 1990s prior to its merger with VoiceStream, T-Mobile's 1900 GSM network has broad coverage and goes deeply into rural areas in the state as well as blanketing metro regions. It's far more extensive in MN than ATT. I only hope that politicians...
This is an utter disaster. I was alarmed by the rumors of TMobile merging with Sprint last week, but at least going from four to three major carriers involved consolidating two smaller carriers. This opens up the serious possibility of only two national carriers in the US — giving us a less competitive wireless market than any other major economy. Even Canada manages to have three. Sprint will have to absorb every minor carrier simply to be competitive, or they'll end...
Two comments. First, no company on the overwhelming scale of Foxconn can keep up THAT kind of growth rate in manufacturing forever. If Apple indeed has failed to line up alternatives, then it has been negligent. Perhaps it's time for Apple to use some of that cash hoard to reestablish US manufacturing, either internally (unlikely) or through a spinoff or joint venture with someone else (better fits Tim Cook's business model). Second, talking of Tim Cook, Apple's...
If the iTunes uncoupling I call for actually happens, this will be another big development with the iPad. Currently, it's truly astonishing how bloated and inefficient the major power applications have become. You've got little desktop gizmos that could have run on a Commodore 64 requiring megabytes of hard drive space. The iPad represents an opportunity to get back to truly efficient programming.