or Connect

Posts by photoeditor

If the iTunes uncoupling I call for actually happens, this will be another big development with the iPad. Currently, it's truly astonishing how bloated and inefficient the major power applications have become. You've got little desktop gizmos that could have run on a Commodore 64 requiring megabytes of hard drive space. The iPad represents an opportunity to get back to truly efficient programming.
The game changer hasn't happened yet. iPad needs to be truly independent of a computer. And that means unshackling it from iTunes. Giving it the power to configure a WiFi router. Enabling it to access the iTunes store and App store directly through WiFi or 3G. Apple can make worthwhile changes with the 2012 update, like doubling the flash storage and doubling the screen resolution, but without unshackling it from PC-based iTunes it won't have truly redefined...
How independent is it from a "mothership" computer? Can it properly run Keynote through a VGA adapter on an LCD projector? Can it handle Aperture or indeed any kind of raw photo file through an Aperture-compatible module? Can I compute on it adequately or will I need at least an 11 inch Macbook Air? All things I'd like to know. I'm in the process of ordering one of the new 15 inch MBPs (I have a budget to spend and a three year old MBP and can't wait for Ivy Bridge)...
This is so dumb. It slows down the peripheral manufacturers who will have fewer customers to sell to at first, and gets too many people locked into USB 3. Hopefully Apple will at least partially make amends by using the connector on the iPhone and iPad. That will create some more customers.
10hours on the previous test, which was a joke. These are seven hours on the MBA test, which actually means something. See my comment above. This actually looks promising to me.
Do you recall what His Steveness said about the Apple battery life test at his keynote for launching the Macbook Air? They'd developed a new formula, he said, that more accurately reflected actual use as opposed to something devised by marketing. The MBA was promised to be "seven hours", and much better than those MBPs that were rated to ten hours at the time. And indeed it was. The 13 inch MBA absolutely smoked even the best MBP in battery life test. Now those new...
I want a 15 inch Macbook Pro with an Express Card slot. Whether or not it has an optical drive, I'm not too concerned (although it had better have a third USB port if it doesn't have an optical drive). But we should not have to get a desktop-sized machine just to get fast input and output. With this chip problem I'm worried that if the new laptops only need two SATA ports, the early run machines will contain the defective chips. That won't be a problem if the flaw...
When capital gains taxes were slashed by Newt Gingrich and Bill Clinton in 1997 it unleashed massive bubble speculation that has bedeviled our economy ever since, and Bush aggravated this with his 2003 tax cuts. On the other hand, President Reagan cut taxes on income earned by work but never cut capital gains by farther than that, and we had orderly and steady growth for many years followed by a very mild recession and then more healthy growth. Since 1997 we've been...
I checked out the Macbook Air at the Apple Store yesterday. It's impressive. The 13 inch display has the most legible text of any Apple laptop, better even than the 15 inch MBP hi-res matte, certainly better than the horribly glare-prone glass-fronted displays on most of the other MBP models. And also much better than the 11 inch MBA, which the AI review unfortunately fails to mention. Speed is very good; it handles Aperture well, which was a big surprise to me, and...
This is a very tempting work computer for me, but some questions are unanswered. What will the SSD performance over time be like? Most non-Sandforce implementations lose their oomph due to the lack of over-provisioning and other issues. Is this an SDXC slot? Does the flash device sit on a daughtercard or is it on the main board? Will it overheat? Will Lion see more efficiencies with memory and storage use like Snow Leopard, or will the SSD capacity and RAM...