or Connect

Posts by photoeditor

At least here in the Midwest, Verizon is still "the network." Only US Cellular in this part of the world is as well put together. T-Mobile has terrific networks in cities but the only rural areas it covers are in Minnesota and Iowa where the company's different heritage in those states (the former Aerial Communications network in MN, the I-wireless limited partnership in Iowa) means they have a rural PCS network. Sprint is OK, urban and rural, but only OK. AT&T falls...
The smaller screen size is demented. I've tried the new Android phones at Verizon this week. The Motorola Droid's 3.7 inch display is very comfortable. The only things wrong with the phone are that the slider keyboard is a completely unnecessary addition of weight and fragility to the phone, and that it's too angular to hold comfortably for a long call. The HTC Droid Eris, on the other hand, seems like the perfect form factor, except that the 3.2 inch display is...
I do expect to see an iPhone on Verizon. I actually think the biggest sticking point may well be warranty coverage. I suspect Verizon in particular won't be happy about ceding control to AppleCare or about Apple's general control freak approach to repairs and exchanges, you know, all that business-y customer service stuff. I think Verizon would be quite happy to cede to Apple on software management as long as there's some GetItNow gouging built in. But let's think...
If Verizon would simply acknowledge Mac users, it would be nice, whether or not they get the iPhone. So many Verizon phones simply are not supported on the Mac for even basic things like syncing, yet well supported on the PC. How about hiring some software developers to take care of it? iPhone or not, the Mac situation on Verizon is unacceptable. Also, I can't consider AT&T. Their network in Chicago is completely unacceptable -- easily the worst of any of the five...
No, that's not an optical illusion you see. That's just the state of America these days, especially of the Chicago Transit Authority, which US regulators said had the worst conditions they'd seen on any US subway system after they investigated a serious fire during rush hour on the Blue Line a few years ago (only a VERY capable CTA driver prevented fatalities; he led the passengers out of the tunnel in thick smoke through a manhole cover he knew about that the CTA had...
I strongly like the idea of the new mouse. No more moving parts to jam, wear out, break or get dirty. However this software driver issue concerns me somewhat. For example, will it work in Boot Camp with Windows, or even in Vmware or Parallels? By the way, WHEN is Apple going to step up and produce a Bluetooth keyboard with a numeric keypad? Or has His Steveness decreed that the keypad shall die?
All very nice. This will be an instant update for me. It will solve a lot of problems. I wonder what's holding them up with Blu-Ray though. When Steve Jobs talked about a "world of hurt" with licensing, I didn't realize he meant "a permanent war of attrition." Not that it affects me, though; I just long for the day when laptop DVD drives support 16x.
I think the idea is you operate entirely from the laptop without having to mess with a duplicate desktop system at home or in the studio. It's a bit frustrating to have a laptop that is powerful enough, cool-running enough, capacious enough and so on that it can replace your desktop machine . . . . and then find a crucial bottleneck for those days when you're not on the road and instead tethered to the server and backup drives, and wanting the full bandwidth they offer. ...
They are really hobbling the 15 inch Macbook Pro. Overall, it seems great; better memory capacities, better hard drive capacities, better display, lower price. But no Express Card support means no eSATA; and the ongoing lack of a matte display option means a literal headache for a lot of people. I think many people who need power AND portability are going to be very upset at having to either buy the 17 or else punt. I thought the whole idea of lithium polymer...
Will we see USB3 to Firewire and USB3 to eSATA adapters? This USB3 sounds like the real deal in terms of a versatile, one-port-fits-all solution, and I hope that Apple can make the most of it. It's particularly important to have versatile I/O when Apple still seems to think it's acceptable to ship a pro laptop with only three serial ports. I have four on my current MBP 15 (obviously two firewire and two USB) and I use them all. But with the continuation of the drop...