or Connect

Posts by photoeditor

They are really hobbling the 15 inch Macbook Pro. Overall, it seems great; better memory capacities, better hard drive capacities, better display, lower price. But no Express Card support means no eSATA; and the ongoing lack of a matte display option means a literal headache for a lot of people. I think many people who need power AND portability are going to be very upset at having to either buy the 17 or else punt. I thought the whole idea of lithium polymer...
Will we see USB3 to Firewire and USB3 to eSATA adapters? This USB3 sounds like the real deal in terms of a versatile, one-port-fits-all solution, and I hope that Apple can make the most of it. It's particularly important to have versatile I/O when Apple still seems to think it's acceptable to ship a pro laptop with only three serial ports. I have four on my current MBP 15 (obviously two firewire and two USB) and I use them all. But with the continuation of the drop...
When are these knuckleheads at Apple going to restore the matte display option on the 15 inch MacBook Pro? Some of us don't want to carry around the bigger 'book. Frankly, my mentality as of right now is to use the $199 aftermarket option for a matte display instead of buying AppleCare, or alternatively go the Hackintosh route; Apple's refusal to ship a new 15 inch matte book pro is beyond ridiculous.
The 17 is a knockout. Stellar battery life. An approach to the battery that makes the permanent built-in aspect totally worth it. I hope they do the same thing to the 15 in the next update. Because a large part of the boost in battery life is to do with more sophisticated technology in the controller in the battery itself, I wonder if Apple can get on it with providing better batteries for both the current 15 and 13 inch unibody models and previous generation MacBooks...
What it appears to indicate to me is that the antiglare display is not the glass in other Macs but the same old same old when it comes to plastic "glass" that requires arsenic as an additive. What I'm seeing in that picture is not the single sheet of glass covering the whole thing but rather the traditional bezel with the display retracted slightly. I'll be looking out to see if I'm wrong. I hope I am, because if I'm not it means the long-term future of antiglare in...
Check out Apple's recall on liquid-cooled G5 machines. You might have a shot at a completely brand new Mac Pro. xlr8yourmac.com has been covering the liquid G5 fiasco very well. Apple has been replacing machines even outside the AppleCare warranty.
I have an aging G4 that wants to be replaced. Of course, I can always just get by on my MacBook Pro as my only machine, as it is a Penryn MacBook pro and therefore cool enough running and powerful enough to be an only machine. But I'd rather have a desktop too. And the Mac Mini is the only game in town. But I have needs. Specifically, it doesn't do me much good unless it has either FireWire 800 or eSATA, or unless Apple completely amazes us and makes Time Machine...
Apple went down to a 50 watt-hour battery in this new version. So the result is that to maintain the battery life of the previous version, you have to use the integrated graphics chip. In practice, that wouldn't be a problem if it supported 8GB of RAM. But it only supports 4GB, amazingly enough. And so to maintain the battery life of the previous computer, you have to give up RAM. Not good.
I have a Penryn MBP 15 inch and ordered the "matte", although it really should be called "satin" rather than matte. It combines the best of both traditional matte and glossy and is far easier on the eyes than any glossy display I've seen so far, especially the fishbowl effect of the old Macbook and the Macbook Air. I had a Macbook and it was just ruining my eyes. The matte was like a tremendous relief, sharper and yet less reflective. And at the same time a better...
Further proof that American executive compensation is completely out of hand. Part of the problem is the way so much executive compensation is tax-deductible at the same time as the tax code penalizes companies for other forms of employee compensation, thereby encouraging companies to behavior in this rock-star worship mentality rather than building up the whole enterprise. Japanese executives make less than 20 times their lowest paid employee. British ones, a little...