or Connect

Posts by Sunbow

Perhaps it helps here to say that in the UK: 'Going to university' refers to attending a (any) university (presumably the same usage as you meant with your 'going to college' example; whereas the phrase 'going to the university' would refer to a specific one (even though it hasn't been named in the phrase, it would be defined by the context of what had gone before).
I would have put those two examples the other way around. Apple Inc is a rather large company with many employees. And... Apple are releasing several new products this year... I believe the rule here is that if one is referring to a characteristic of Apple (a single entity) then you'd use 'is'. If you are referring to achievements (for example) of its people, then it would be correct to use 'are'. Perhaps those of us that haven't should update their AppleInsider profiles...
Even if they were trying to get an exclusive deal, it seems fair to say they might have been negotiating with Verizon and Cingular at the same time, so as to see which gave them the best deal. On the other hand, in the first instance, they may not have been seeking an exclusive deal and it just became the only option after negotiations were under way.
It seems to be generally understood that, in terms of music, Apple makes its money from iPod sales not from iTunes Music sales; the iTunes Store being a means to encourage iPod sales. So, at first sight, licencing the FairPlay DRM would seem to be shooting itself in the foot by cutting sales of iPods. But, if Apple licences the FairPlay DRM for each player that other manufacturers make at the amount of profit it makes on an equivalent capacity of iPod, it would not lose...
Indeed it does sound promising. Does it sound like it is shaping up enough to be compelling to all those 'Windows-dominated' corporate IT organisations? Do people think this may just be the killer version that gets at least a foot in the door in such companies?
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but the fact that the AppleTV has an HDMI connector and an optical digital audio connector suggests to me that it is going to be able to work with Dolby Digital / DTS material as and when it comes available on the iTunes Store. There is no indication of the sound capability of existing movies (on the quick check I made on the US Store) but this does not preclude future ones from having multi-channel sound. In principle it doesn't preclude...
I'd agree unless it's put to good use. Why not keep it on (for the convenience and to avoid wearing it out through thermal cycling) and run something like Folding at Home, which is socially of high value as this contributes to top research at Stanford University. Check out http://folding.stanford.edu/ download the app for your OS and get 'folding'. Join a Team (or set one up) and get that competitive spirit going! The Mac Teams are doing well but surely there are more...