or Connect

Posts by cnocbui

Samsung have been using 'Plus' since at least the S3 and have used that designation on many product variants so it's unreasonable to accuse them of copying Apple.
I wouldn't know.  As I said, wind power is an obvious possibility given the location.  Fuel cells would be a good backup fro when the wind isn't blowing.
The main reason, apart from political stability, Apple is locating a data centre in Ireland is because it will save them a colossal amount of money on cooling - because they don't need to do any, just open the windows.  The annually average temperature where they are putting that data centre would only be about 9° C. I doubt very much they will use solar for power as Ireland is around the same latitude as Hudson Bay in Canada, with cloud cover being the norm.  It is,...
This article rather neatly illustrates what a lot of us who live outside the US have been saying about how completely useless Apple Maps is.  Here is what you get when you try and find the location of this new data centre in Apple Maps:   No results found.  You would think that area of Ireland was rather lacking in place names judging by Apple Maps.   Here is the result I get with Here Maps with no data connection - just going by  the offline map data stored on my...
My suspicion is that the real reason for objections would be concerns over the possible negative impact on property values adjacent to the data centre.
Don't be ridiculous - Apple can't afford to pay artists.  When Apple invites artists to perform in their iTunes festival, they don't actually part with any money, they offer them strings of glass beads and increased promotional space on iTunes.  It seems fairly standard for Apple to expect music artists to work for their benefit with no financial compensation - unless you are U2 of course, then you just back up a large truck and pallet loads of cash are loaded on without...
I have always thought of Monster as a tech parasite.  A lamprey springs to mind.  I hope Apple's actions inflict some damage.
Yes they did.  Remember the disastrous iPod Shuffle which was made so pointlessly small it had no room for physical buttons and they had to put them on the earbud cable?  A major design mistake that was corrected with the following model.  Then of course they had the ghastly and near inexplicable 3rd generation Nano, which is best forgotten, followed by the perfect form factor of the 4th and 5th gen. Nanos, then the 6th gen Nano which was as ergonomically stupid for a...
They are being required by their employer to spend time doing something in their place of work.  That would fit a definition of work in most countries on the planet.  I don't live in the US so I can't speak for retailers and department stores there, but I very much doubt employers would have the right to search employees outside of their working hours in most civilised countries.  In the UK an employer can only subject employees to searches if it is written into their...
No they are not.  The issue was always that Apple was imposing on their employees  time while not paying them for it.  If Apple had done the right thing and had them clock-off after the security checks were performed, that would have been the ethical and appropriate thing to do and there never would have been an issue. It's quite Ironic - the security checks are due to suspicions of employees stealing from Apple and involved Apple effectively stealing from their lowest...