or Connect

Posts by cnocbui

With the MBP Retina 15" - Apple got both Samsung and LG/Sharp to supply screens.  If you look at the Apple support threads, you would count yourself lucky if you got a Samsung made screen and be doing a face-palm if you didn't.   Perhaps Apple contracted the entirety of 13" Retina screen production to LG/Sharp before they were cognisant of them not being very good at it.   Perhaps they had to delay the 13" Retina until they work out why so many 15" Retina Pros...
It applies in the Uk.  It's an EU directive - the clue is in the word - it's not a suggestion.  It might not apply in the UK because I think UK consumer law says a product must deliver a reasonable life expectancy, so it might be even more strict than the EU law.  An Eu member state can have consumer protection that delivers greater than that mandated by the EU, but not less.   Apple are guilty on this one and I think they need to repeat the fine and add a zero, as Apple...
So if some idiot scribbles an idea on a napkin like this:     You say they shouldn't be granted a patent?   I agree. {snigger}   You know that old saying - live by the sword, die by the sword.  The trouble with iFans is that they seem to think the entire patent system should operate only for the benefit of Apple and no one else.
He's done a nice job there and you haven't a clue what you are talking about.  A single layer of cloth formed with pressure can be paper thin.
Except perhaps the overwhelming majority of the world's phone users who don't have access to LTE.   Of course Samsung recently announced they had produced the worlds first A15 core based mobile SOC.  When they get that beast into a phone, and the iP5 no longer has the speed crown, benchmarks will again become a dirty word.
Being made up for possibly by Apple having to go cap in hand to Samsung asking for more MBP Retina screens, because the ones from LG/Sharp are rubbish.  On the Apple support forums there's quite a thread about MBP Retina screen problems.  Those who find they have a Samsung screen breathe a sigh of relief while those who don't groan or make other unhappy noises.
Not necessarily irrational.  I have had two kernel panics in two days on my MBP Retina.  Quite a few other people are having the problem as well.  Being an early adopter with Apple can be a worry at times.  Of course in usual Apple style, they don't acknowledge there is a problem and don't tell anyone if they are working on a fix.  If they do come up with a fix, they still don't tell anyone, just slip it into an OS update and hope those afflicted do the update at some...
I have seen allegations that exactly this sort of scenario in the music industry was the real reason why Kim Dotcom was raided in NZ.  Apparently he had plans to set up a mechanism for artists to distribute and sell their work directly, bypassing the traditional music industry leeches.   Authors don't need publishers any more now that e-books seem to be outselling physical ones.  Many authors now have their own sites and blogs and are just about doing their own...
Wired is stating that the IP5 benchmarks fall short of the SGS III, which they give as scoring 1723.       http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/first-iphone-5-benchmarks/
You are spouting complete nonsense.  Samsung hired Intrinsity to help them with development of the Hummingbird SOC.  Samsung announced the hummingbird nearly a year prior to Apple introducing the iPhone 4 which had the A4 chip in it.  Xrays revealed the A4 was essentially a hummingbird with minor modifications, most notably it had half the RAM.  So Apple was using a Samsung design, one presumes under license, with some modifications to it.  Apple didn't buy Intrinsity...