or Connect

Posts by delreyjones

On the one hand I think you're correct.  We can split hairs and go either way, cite different dictionaries to support one side or the other.  But I'm with you, their wording is slightly on the inaccurate side and could easily be improved. On the other hand, I think it's a minor flaw in today's headline.  "Thousands" is almost OK.  Sometimes, AI's headlines have words that aren't even close to OK and they seem like major flaws to me.  I think I'll speak up the next time I...
 With due respect, I suggest you wait until you see Apple's marketing statement about the iWatch before you jump to the conclusion that its focus constitutes a "narrow move".  Even if the iWatch does include significant health-monitoring, we have no idea if the bio-feedback is 10% of the iWatch's reason for existence, 50% of the reason, or 90% of the reason.  As the smart guys over on Asymco say, what's the "Job to be done" by the iWatch?  Don't be foolish and rely on...
It's OK if you want to limit your population to those who do spreadsheet and word processor work.  But the original study this article is about, plus most of the people discussing it, don't impose that limitation.  We're interested in the entire community of computer users, including gamers and web surfers and anybody else who spends time doing stuff on their computer (be it handheld or desktop). I myself used to do a lot of spreadsheet and word processing.  I thought it...
 OK.  But would you argue with the assertion that IOS is kind of on par with Windows, and 80's calculators are kind of not on par with Windows?
 I think I'll nit-pick this 'delreyjones' guy ...   Who cares if the internals are Unix or not?  (It's especially unimportant whether or not it's Certified Unix or Linux or QNX or whatever ...)  Microsoft's devices are definitely not *nix.  M$ grew their own with David Cutler, so it's all some kind of VMS progeny, but Windows is still completely usable  What's important is whether or not it's a viable, modern platform.  IOS, Android and Windows are all viable.  Maybe...
Does your calculator from the 80s run Unix?
And if I read this article correctly, it has nothing to do with market share and everything to do with intellectual property.  You're commenting on the wrong article.
 Good point; I'd never looked at it like that before.  Google stole from Apple and thereby enabled Samsung to make billions.  I'm no flag-waving, right-winger, but our economy is in decline and we don't need thieves like Google hurting us even more!
I think the company might be overly cautious and therefore over-capitalized, but I don't think it's even close to being a mismanaged company.  I think of them as being close to perfect, but it's still possible here and there for some fine-tuning.
I like the plan too and I also hold shares. I don't really understand the hostility on this site towards Icahn.  The difference between what he wants and what the board has already agreed to is just a matter of scale.  All he's doing is making the case that AAPL is a screaming buy, and he's also putting his money where his mouth is.  He may be going a bit too far but maybe not.  He sounds persuasive to me when he says the board is being overly cautious.   I haven't decided...