or Connect

Posts by delreyjones

I agree with your first point, i.e. that lower P/E means investors collectively believe earnings (or at least growth) will decline, but with due respect you've lost me when you say a lower P/E means my future returns will be lower. My thinking goes like this: I know that I'm right some of the time and wrong some of the time. I believe the same is true of the market, i.e. your "collective investors". I happen to think that when the market gives APPL a lower P/E, the...
I think you raise good questions. I sure don't know what their future growth will look like, but as a stockholder I hope for the best. That said, Apple's market cap is so large that I believe their P/E ratio won't go back up to the 30s and 40s again, and that's okay by me. I like it when the E pushes the P up, rather than having huge expectations pull the P up. In my opinion, the lower P/E makes APPL a safer investment, but their healthy growth and business model still...
By golly but you make a lot of sense, Mr. Knightlie!
"He gets paid"? Are you sure of that? Microsoft pays him? Google pays him?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that outside of Apple and Google, there are very few companies with such large market capitalization as well as high P/Es. It's natural that things can't be so volatile and speculative as they get so big. As for me, with a large part of my net worth in Apple, I'm happy their P/E is declining while the E is steadily increasing; it makes my investment safer even if it isn't growing. I expect their P and their E to continue to...
Also not speaking for him, sometimes less is more. Specifically, when there are a bunch of features that I don't use, whether in an OS X laptop or M$ Word or a VCR, these extra features actually detract from the user experience and from those features that I do use. Apple helps people focus by leaving things out. Just as there are plenty of people who only use 10% of M$ Word, there are plenty of people who only use %10 of a laptop's capabilities. The iPad addresses...
Yes, the iPad will cannibalize some Mac and iPod Touch Sales, but much more importantly, it will steal significant market share from M$, especially from the netbook category.
I don't know, but I think it's possible that Bill Gates is telling the truth here and he really doesn't see the value of the iPad, just like millions of others. And that's the genius of Steve Jobs. Others can't dream up this valuable stuff on their own, and they can't even recognize it when it's directly shown to them. But they'll eventually get it when people around them start using iPads and they get to spend time with one themselves. An almost magical device, the...
I agree; I think you did a good job summarizing the main implication of the article. Apple is confident and its competitors are insecure; Apple leads and they follow. Do any of you think Amazon stands a realistic chance of putting out a half-way decent, competing product? Multi-touch, multi-function, presumably some kind of general purpose OS under the hood? I for one think they're in way over their head and their copycat product will very likely never see the light of...
Well sure, you have a point. Except that I look at the situation slightly differently. I don't say that I "HAVE to buy an iPad", I say that I "GET to buy an iPad"! The damn thing looks like a lot of fun to me and reading is only of its supported activities I'm looking forward to.