or Connect

Posts by sdbryan

In fairness I don't think the original poster meant Apple looks tired, just the specific Apple Store in his neighborhood. Also he observed that the Samsung store-in-a-store was essentially empty while the Apple Store was busy. Apple Stores certainly share easily observed common elements but there is significant variation in the customer experience. I suspect the individual store manager has a lot to do with how customers feel about a specific Apple Store.
I am not hopeful for the next update, but a volume control on the Apple TV remote is sorely missed. Using AirPlay currently requires the user to juggle three 'remotes'. You need the iDevice for content selection, volume control on the TV remote, and the AppleTV remote (to wake up AppleTV in order to start the whole process). Of course you also need a non-Apple switch to control the input source. If Apple had pass through HDMI that was controlled with a new AppleTV remote...
Just saying pedantically: "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech ..."   So in the USA it pretty much has to be Congressional overreach involved when one invokes freedom of speech. The constitution doesn't say anything about a neighbor telling you to shut up. In this bizarre case it was some basically unidentified source making terroristic threats against Sony and any theaters that chose to show the film. So it is better thought of as extortion...
They could be more candid about the Balkanized nature of TV but most who care about 'foreign TV' are all too aware of the facts. In the US we experience this with BBC programs and the app for it which is only available in the UK. It was hinted that a U.S. version was in the works but that was years ago and nothing has appeared.
Michael Fassbinder, while not necessarily a celebrity (like the previous two candidates for the role), is certainly a well regarded actor. Just check imdb for his previous work. If this version reaches the screen there is a better chance we might get an interesting Steve Jobs rather than the latest bankable performance.
It may not be a 'Big freakin' deal' to a customer who is willing to play the sim switching game. But to the vast majority of customers this makes the carrier switching option more than just theoretical. This impulse, to extend technology beyond the devoted tech enthusiast class, has driven Apple since the introduction of the Apple ][ almost 40 years ago. Some tech enthusiasts may remain baffled what all the fuss is about this development, but the robber baron thugs are...
You may well be right if audio is the major consideration and for many (most?) it is. But despite its name the iPod touch is basically the same ultra portable computer as the iPhone, both of which are made vastly more powerful with an internet connection. That is why my wish list for the iPod touch includes a cellular data radio option like the iPad.
More products sold to more people seems like the obvious answer. That is how Apple makes most of its profit: selling innovative, high quality hardware to customers. For example Apple sells many wifi only iPads. But cellular data enabled iPads are also sold. For the iPod touch product Apple sells the wifi only model but not the corresponding cellular data enabled version. The only impediment I see to this option is whether the cellular carrier oligopoly will allow it in the...
Because I am capable of performing simple arithmetic and plan to live more than the next few weeks? The phones are not subsidized by some mysterious munificent entity. You are being billed every month and they don't have the decency to stop charging this rate after the cost has been amortized. While this magical thinking is an issue in the US market, I have read that we are the exception rather than the rule in other markets (i.e. paying upfront rather than being billed...
I neither need nor want a smartphone. I just want the added feature in an iPod touch that is already an added feature in iPads. My iPad does have the same hotspot feature as an iPhone. I have used the iPad's hotspot sometimes. My experience is that it is as dumb as many public wifi hotspots that dump you and force you to reconnect if you aren't sufficiently actively sending or receiving packets. I'm no more than inches or feet away but it still petulantly disconnects...