or Connect

Posts by sdbryan

They could be more candid about the Balkanized nature of TV but most who care about 'foreign TV' are all too aware of the facts. In the US we experience this with BBC programs and the app for it which is only available in the UK. It was hinted that a U.S. version was in the works but that was years ago and nothing has appeared.
Michael Fassbinder, while not necessarily a celebrity (like the previous two candidates for the role), is certainly a well regarded actor. Just check imdb for his previous work. If this version reaches the screen there is a better chance we might get an interesting Steve Jobs rather than the latest bankable performance.
It may not be a 'Big freakin' deal' to a customer who is willing to play the sim switching game. But to the vast majority of customers this makes the carrier switching option more than just theoretical. This impulse, to extend technology beyond the devoted tech enthusiast class, has driven Apple since the introduction of the Apple ][ almost 40 years ago. Some tech enthusiasts may remain baffled what all the fuss is about this development, but the robber baron thugs are...
You may well be right if audio is the major consideration and for many (most?) it is. But despite its name the iPod touch is basically the same ultra portable computer as the iPhone, both of which are made vastly more powerful with an internet connection. That is why my wish list for the iPod touch includes a cellular data radio option like the iPad.
More products sold to more people seems like the obvious answer. That is how Apple makes most of its profit: selling innovative, high quality hardware to customers. For example Apple sells many wifi only iPads. But cellular data enabled iPads are also sold. For the iPod touch product Apple sells the wifi only model but not the corresponding cellular data enabled version. The only impediment I see to this option is whether the cellular carrier oligopoly will allow it in the...
Because I am capable of performing simple arithmetic and plan to live more than the next few weeks? The phones are not subsidized by some mysterious munificent entity. You are being billed every month and they don't have the decency to stop charging this rate after the cost has been amortized. While this magical thinking is an issue in the US market, I have read that we are the exception rather than the rule in other markets (i.e. paying upfront rather than being billed...
I neither need nor want a smartphone. I just want the added feature in an iPod touch that is already an added feature in iPads. My iPad does have the same hotspot feature as an iPhone. I have used the iPad's hotspot sometimes. My experience is that it is as dumb as many public wifi hotspots that dump you and force you to reconnect if you aren't sufficiently actively sending or receiving packets. I'm no more than inches or feet away but it still petulantly disconnects...
 OK, strike my use of the letter A rather than the letter O. The reason I want an iPod touch with cellular data is that I sometimes have my iPad with me but I always have my iPod touch. They are both iOS devices but the iPod runs apps just like the iPhone, not a scaled down iPad app. Where there is wifi, all is well. If not, it would be very nice to have cellular data connectivity without the extra bulk of an iPhone (and legacy services with their associated...
The fifth generation iPod touch is listed as upgradeable to iOS8 so these iPods would be also. I hope this is being done to clear inventory for a next generation iPod touch with the new processor chip. If Apple really wanted to cause some disruption it could include an option for month to month cellular data like the iPads. The iPhone is already mainly a data device. By dropping the mostly pointless legacy crappy telephony component but retaining connectivity, Apple would...
OthersYou probably know this already but remember that AirPlay is your friend. Assuming you have an iOS device you can throw content from the Plex app and Amazon Prime app over to your Apple TV box. Some apps may not support AirPlay but many do. Concerning Plex you might be disappointed by the artifacts when playing on a big screen. I use Air Video HD with the same content and get a much nicer big screen picture. The metadata with Plex is much better but picture quality is...